[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - Antilles tales..by rob chafer
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Antilles tales..by rob chafer

<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:29 am

Antilles tales..by rob chafer

“THIS WAS DIFFERENT”, he thought to himself, as he settled into the chair of the office he’d be shown into. He had no idea why he was here. A month ago he was an Australian SAS soldier on an exchange program with the USAF Special Forces. He had been injured during a training exercise, and spent two weeks recovering in hospital.

That’s when things had started to change. Instead of being sent back to Australia as he had expected, he had spent the last two weeks being pushed, poked and prodded, by doctors who couldn’t, or, wouldn’t tell him why they were doing it. Then, yesterday, he was ordered to report here by 0900. He was shown into the office by a Captain, who had either lost the ability to talk, or who was under orders not to speak to him.

As he sat there, he caught a glimpse of his reflection in the window that overlooked the base. He stood up, straightened his uniform, and raised his chin “not bad” he mused to himself, sucked his tummy in a little and patted it “yeah…. ya still look the goods Antilles” he muttered to himself. Just then the door to the office swung open, in his attempt to avoid being caught in the act of admiring himself, and in his haste to see who was coming through the door, he banged his still very sore leg, against the table “OW!! Bloody hell!!” he cursed momentarily forgetting about the person coming through the door. Then remembering he looked up…….

Antilles jumped to attention and saluted. The officer who had entered looked him up and down.” Is that how they address generals in your army?” he asked “ah no sir” stammered Antilles, “I was , just stretching my leg and…” the general put up his hand , and nodded ,his face wearing a pained expression “at ease soldier before you hurt something…take a seat” he finished. Shifty gingerly sat down and waited for the general to begin. The general picked up a folder and began leafing through it…”hmmmmm” he said as he flipped through the pages. He put down the folder “So Warrant Officer 1st class Robert Antilles, you’re probably wondering what all this is about?” he said raising his eyebrows. “Well yes sir I am,” answered Antilles “sorry” replied the general” but I can’t tell you that now”. He saw the puzzled look on Antilles face….”But I can tell you, that you are required for a top secret mission, you have …..” he paused, and pursed his lips in thought..” an attribute that is extremely important to the success of this mission” Antilles thought for a moment before replying….”and what might that ability be sir?” “Can’t tell you” was the reply.

Antilles felt a little perplexed. He had been in the Australian army most of his adult life, and he knew some missions are on a need to know basis, but to not even know why they needed him? Surely with the size of the US military, there’d have to be others who could do this job too “Sir,” he began,” with the manpower of your armed forces surely there must be.,,” The general cut him off before he could finish, “look, once you’ve finished the training I’ll be more than happy to explain everything to you, but just for now, I need an answer, but I can guarantee it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity” Now Antilles was really curious, so curious he knew there was only one answer “ok sir, where do I sign on?” The general smiled, opened a draw and pulled out an envelope.” These are your sealed orders” he saw Antilles begin to speak,” don’t worry ill handle all the transfers and other paperwork” he stood up and put out his hand, Antilles took it, “welcome aboard Antilles” ‘why thank you general…” Antilles’s went to look at the generals name tag, “O’Neill” the general finished for him “General Jack O’Neill…….with 2 L's"
Last edited by shifty on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
NAME:Rob Antilles
CALLSIGN:Shifty
ASSIGNMENT:Atlantis
Member of SG-7 (Australia)
<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Antilles tales..by rob chafer

Nice Rob...now you have to write more 8)
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

SgtLewis

Sergeant
Sergeant

Post Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:37 am

Very nice...now write more.
Si vis pacem, para bellum- If you want peace, prepare for war
<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:03 am

CHAPTER 2:

HE’D HAD a lot of time to think on how much his life had changed in the last few months, during the flight down to the Antarctic. Once he had accepted the Generals offer to join this expedition, things had moved quickly. He had been fast tracked through an OCS course, completed an intense Air Force Special Forces training program, and finally spent a couple weeks reading mission files from the confidential “Stargate” program that the US Air Force had been running for the past several years.

He still had a hard time getting his head around the fact that human beings were travelling from this planet, to other worlds, thousands of light years away. Even more amazing was that there were other humans living on countless planets in the galaxy. And he was simply stunned, by the number of times, the people of earth had come so close to being annihilated, but had been saved time and again by members of Stargate Command, or SGC as it was more commonly known.

And the reason, he got to hear about all this? Well, apparently he has some kind of “special” gene, which will allow him to use the technology of the Ancients, the race that created the stargates. They’d found it after the training mishap he’d had while on an exchange tour with US Air Force special forces. Now here he was on his way to McMurdo base. From there they would be transported to the Ancient outpost that had been used to defeat the forces of Anubis. He couldn’t wait to see that place.

He looked out the window of the plane. What an incredible sight he thought to himself, the last real untouched wilderness on the planet, miles of endless ice, clear crisp air, no pollution, nothing man made to spoil the beauty . Just then the pilot’s voice broke into his thoughts, they were 10 minutes out from landing. He cut short his musings, and made sure he was strapped in. The plane banked to the left and began its final approach. As the plane continued to descend he felt a rush of excitement, whatever fate had in store for him, he was determined to meet it head on…..

3 DAYS LATER….
“TRY harder LT!” It was the voice of the man who had become the bane of my existence “Dr McKay, im doing the best I can, if I try and concentrate any harder, I’ll give myself an aneurism! I can’t make stars float in front of me if they don’t want to!” I replied slightly exasperated. “ Your not meant to be thinking of stars, your meant to be thinking about where we are in the universe” he was wearing that look of irritation that seemed to be his favourite expression. Just then a woman appeared at McKays side “hello Rodney, hows Lt Antilles doing today?” she enquired, it was the leader of the expedition, Dr Elizabeth Weir. “ohh I don’t know, how does lousy sound?” he replied “HEY!” I began to interject, Dr Weir put up her hand to quieten me. “how long have you two been at it?” she asked “3 long bloody hours” I shot out , before McKay could answer. She turned to McKay, “Rodney, don’t you think its time to give Lt Antilles, a break?” “A break?” he began “A break? “ “Yes Rodney a break, “she looked at me, “Lt, have you had breakfast yet?” “Ah no ma’am “ I replied “ right well of you go then” “YES MA’AM” I jumped up, a look of smugness on my face. McKay grabbed my arm “no, no ,no, no, no ,no, Elizabeth, we need to keep working on this” “ let him go Rodney, go get Carson, he has the gene too” McKay looked as if he was going to continue to argue, but a look from Weir stopped him. He turned to me “ok Lt , ahh what’s your name, never mind, be back here same time tomorrow” with sarcasm dripping from my voice I quipped “oh how I look forward to it Dr” with that I pulled my arm out of his grasp and headed off to get something to eat…

I was just finishing brekkie when all hell seemed to break loose, I ran out into the main chamber just as a drone shot past me and disappeared up the elevator shaft, I could hear all sorts of commotion coming from the chair room, so I ran over there to find out what was going on. As I entered I grabbed a technician and asked what had happened “oh Dr Beckett was in the chair and somehow he set off a drone” I began to smirk at poor Carson’s predicament when she finished “and its tracking the helicopter with General O’Neill in it!!” “OH HELL!” was all I could muster as a response. Across the room, I could hear Carson “See! I told you I was the wrong person for this!” McKay looked at him “do something!” “Like what?” a panicked Carson asked, just then Dr Weir started speaking to Carson, I couldn’t hear the words, but Carson nodded and closed his eyes. We waited tensely while Carson did his best to shut the drone down, and after what seemed like a life time, Carson opened his eyes and said, with relief in his voice “I think I did it”……..we all looked over as a radio operator entered the room “the generals helicopter is safe Dr Weir.”

General O’Neill had been on base for an hour or so, I was walking past the chair room when I heard Carson calling out for Rodney, my interest piqued I went to have a squiz at what was going on….sitting in the chair was General O’Neill’s pilot, but not only was he sitting in it, he had the bloody thing lit up like a Christmas tree. He looked nervously over towards me “Hey buddy, what the hell have I done?” I couldn’t help but smile back at him “well mate, I’m not really sure, but I think you’re about to become McKay’s favourite toy!”

“ I have some great news” Dr Weir began, “ with help from Dr Jackson , we have discovered what quite possibly could be the gate address for the Ancients lost city of Atlantis” she paused as a murmur of voices rippled across the room. When the room had settled down, she continued “after discussions with General O’Neill, we have been given a go, to travel to this address. You all have a week to pack your things and visit family and loved ones before we head to the Cheyenne Mountain complex to begin our mission” another pause “any questions?......ok, I’ll see you all in 7 days”

ONE WEEK LATER
I’d didn’t have many good byes to make, so I arrived at the SGC a few days before I had to. I spent that time pouring over mission reports, and talking to as many of the SG teams as I could. I wanted to be as prepared as possible for anything that may be waiting for us in the Pegasus galaxy. But now the waiting was over, I felt nervous, excited, apprehensive and im not to ashamed to admit, a little overawed by the adventure I was about to embark on. As I entered the gate room I nodded to a few people id become mates with over the past couple of weeks. Dr Elizabeth Weir walked in as the last few of the expedition came into the gate room, she wasted no time in walking onto the ramp …….

“Alright, here we go. We are about to try and make a connection. We have been unable to predict exactly how much power this is gunna take, and we may only get the one chance at this. So if we are to achieve a stable worm hole, we’re not gunna risk shutting the gate down. We will send a M.A.L.P. probe, check for viability and go, everything in one shot.” She paused “ Now everyone of you volunteered for this mission, and you represent over a dozen countries…..You are the world’s best and brightest, and in light of the adventure we are about to embark on…..you are also the bravest…..We may never be able to return home. I’d like to offer you one last chance to withdraw your participation” she paused again..when there was no response she finished “begin the dialling sequence…….”

I stood there awestruck and overwhelmed as the Stargate began to spin, I really couldn’t believe that I was about to travel to another planet, in a whole different galaxy….just then, I overheard a rather disturbing exchange between, the expedition’s military commander, Colonel Sumner and Major John Sheppard, the guy who could make the chair light up….”let me make myself clear major, you are not here by my choice” there was malice in the way he said it, “I’m sure you’ll warm up to me once you get to know me sir” Sheppard countered. Sumner gave Sheppard a hard look, “as long as you remember who’s giving the orders” as the colonel waked past him, Sheppard said “that would be Dr Weir, right?” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing, it sounded like somewhere down the line Sheppard had pissed Sumner off big time, and Sumner was holding a Grudge. Just then the stargate exploded into life, I involuntarily jumped, wow I thought this is fantastic!!! Sumners voice broke into my thoughts…”let’s go people, We don’t know how much power we’ve got!! Security teams one and two, you’re up first, all other personal will follow on our signal!! Once on the other side, keep moving, clear the debarkation area!! Just then then Doctor Weirs voice rang out, “hold on Colonel, we go through together” she moved up the ramp and looked at Sumner, who said something I couldn’t hear…they then turned and proceeded through the event horizon. I got more nervous the closer I got ..closer and closer. Oh god, here it comes..do I hold my breath?? I paused briefly before the event horizon, I closed my eyes and walked in…………
<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:10 am

wow...really good Rob... I'm enjoying this :)
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:42 am

Nicely done, good work in working yourself into the canon storyline. Kudos and chapter 3 ???
Matt Snyder
CO, 10th SFS - Tau'ri Furies
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:10 pm

And you keep telling me you can't write ... please ... this says you certainly can write creatively & exceedingly well.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!
<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:07 am

Thanks everyone, I am very humbled by your kind words and encouragement.
<<

Overlord

RM Captain
RM Captain

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:45 pm

This is Grrrreat!! Reads like the first-person mini-series. Hey, that would not be a bad idea .... SG-1 Made for TV movie done through the eyes of a new draftee. :D

Love the way your were recruited. 8) Please write more!
Capt. Thomas M. Gorman
CO, UNSGO
Royal Marine Commandos, UNSGO
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom

"He that ruleth over men must be just." II Samuel, XXIII
<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:05 am

Chapter 3
………..I STEPPED through the event horizon, it took a second for me to take a breath, and get my bearings “Impressive, most impressive” I mumbled to myself, stealing a line from one of my favourite movies , then as I began to look around I found myself gobsmacked for the second time in as many minutes, this place was incredible, I thought to myself. Lights were beginning to come on as we moved further into the ‘gateroom’ Colonel Sumner had given orders for teams 1 and 2 to secure the immediate area, and, as more people came through the gate he continued, “everyone else find an open space and park it until instructed otherwise” I paired up with major Loran and we began to search further away from the gateroom, he looked across at me and said “so Lt, Antilles, right?” I nodded “How’d your first trip through the gate go?” “It was bloody grouse!” I replied. Loran gave me a puzzled look “grouse? “ “Yeah” I said, “it was grouse” he smiled and shook his head slightly “you Auzzies have a funny way of talking, you know that?” I smiled back before replying “and you Americans sure have a funny way of saying Aussie!” Just then Colonel Sumner’s voice came across the radio “Security teams, any alien contact?” “Team 4 negative contact” I replied

We continued on our search, everywhere we went, lights would come on or panels and consoles would come to life. We soon found that by swiping a hand across the lights by a door way, we could open the doors. “These look like living quarters” I said as I opened another doorway. Loran came up and looked over my shoulder “not bad” he mused” I wonder if they have a penthouse suite?”” oh brother” was the best I could muster as a reply. We moved on, stopping to check rooms every now and then. As we turned another corner, we were both stopped dead in our tracks. We looked at each other in disbelief. Before us lay a kind of viewing area, with one massive window “it can’t be..” I stammered as we continued forward a little further, “yep, it is…” Loran said in an awestruck tone “we’re under water” “Crikey..i hope we don’t spring a leak!” I quipped. We continued to look at the sight before us for a few more seconds before Loran said “We better let the Colonel know”

“Roger that Major Loran we’ve just found that out ourselves. Continue your search and keep me apprised, Sumner out” As we explored further, our wonder at the size and stature of this place grew, and our imaginations ran wild with visions of the Ancients who walked along these very halls all those eons ago “can you imagine, all the things that we may discover here? “ Loran asked me “I mean, apart from advanced weaponry, we could find cures for all kinds of disease’s, new types of energy that won’t pollute the environment, the possibilities are endless…..” “WOW! I never took you for a tree hugging greenie, major” I said laughing, just then the radio sprang to life “All security teams, fall back to the gateroom” I looked at Loran “that doesn’t sound good” I said “no it doesn’t “he replied as we began to run back to the gateroom.

TWO HOURS LATER

We stood to attention as Colonel Sumner entered the room..“At ease people.Ok, here’s the situation. As you know, the city is several hundred feet below the sea’s surface. There is an energy shield that has been protecting the city for god knows how many years. Two out of the three ZPM’s that have been powering the city are depleted, the third one is critically low. “He looked around the room” With our arrival we have inadvertently caused the power in the last ZPM to drop dramatically, to the point that the failure of the shield is imminent and that in all probability the city will be flooded.” The room stirred with tense murmuring. The colonel waited for everyone to quieten down.” Our only solution therefore is to evacuate the city. Now since gating back to earth is out of the question, it has been decided that I will lead a team to find a planet in this galaxy where we can set up a base and work at finding our way back to earth…….any questions?” the room remained silent…”Ok.. we move out in 15 minutes..Dismissed!”
Last edited by shifty on Mon May 14, 2012 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:48 pm

Very entertaining Rob... :) Good Job!
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Thu May 17, 2012 4:43 am

CHAPTER 4

I left the briefing and went to get my gear. It took me only a few minutes to get ready, and to double check that I had everything. I made my way back to the briefing area, exchanging a few “good lucks” with some of the other soldiers who would be remaining behind. I arrived just as Colonel Sumner did, and with a quick, “let’s go” we made our way to the gate room. The gate was already active, with a M.A.L.P waiting to go. Grodin, I think his name was, met us at the gate and sent the M.A.L.P through. After a short wait, he said “The M.A.L.P reads full viability, and there are no immediate signs of activity around the Stargate, but its pitch black.” We began to grab our NVG while he continued “for now, we’re going to use the tried and true system for identification of inbound gate travellers” Sumner nodded to him, and then shouted “let’s move out!” I noticed Sheppard give Dr Weir a quick wave as we entered the event horizon.
As we exited the gate on the other side, Sumner sent 2 scouts out ahead while the rest of us formed a skirmish line and began to quietly, but quickly move away from the gate. We’d gone only a few hundred metres, when someone on the far end of the line noticed movement in the tree line on our right flank….We stopped and got into defensive positions….A few seconds later Sumners voice came over the radio, Ordering us to move up to his position. As we moved up, I could see Sheppard and Sumner having a conversation with a man, who had two children with him. After a brief exchange Sumner detailed 2 men to go back to the gate and contact Atlantis, we then formed up and followed ‘Halling’, as I later found out he was called, back to his village. It only took us about 20 minutes to reach the village ,and we got many strange looks from the villagers as we walked up the path that led to the main part of the settlement. Halling broke off from the group, and gestured to Colonel Sumner, Major Sheppard and LT Ford to follow him. Sumner paused for a second before following and said “Split up and take a look around….Report anything significant immediately” As I moved off towards the south side of the village, I couldn’t help but admit to myself, that I didn’t think much of Colonel Sumner or his command style, and what was his beef with Sheppard? Even if I hadn’t overheard the exchange between them in the SGC, it was painfully obvious that he disliked the man, I’d even heard Ford asking him about it on the walk to the village. Either way, it was something that had to be sorted out, and sooner, rather than later, I finished my musings and stopped to look around…I had wandered almost half the length of the village by this time, it was very primitive, at least compared to what I was used to. Most of the dwellings seemed to use animal hides as coverings and looked like they could be broken down and moved very quickly. Their tools were rudimentary, axes and the like, but they obviously served their purpose and the people were skilled at using them to shape and cut what they needed. Still I hoped McKay and the rest of the scientists back on Atlantis would find a way to prevent the shield from collapsing. The people, while a little wary of me, seemed friendly enough and as I stopped from time to time to talk with some of them I could sense their wariness begin to disappear. I had reached the end of the village and was starting my return journey when Lt Ford’s voice came over the radio ordering us to meet back at the house that we’d left them at. I arrived just as Colonel Sumner was beginning his briefing…”Ok. It’s only a couple of hours to sun up. Major Sheppard and I are still in negotiations with these people about bringing the rest of the expedition here. So find yourself a spot and grab some shut eye. Lt Ford will be in charge of organising the watches…that is all” After the Lt had given me my watch, I found a spot to crash, and fell asleep almost straight away……
<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Thu May 17, 2012 4:47 am

CHAPTER 4 cont

It was almost dawn when SGT Bates woke me….”Come on Antilles, rise and shine, you’re on watch” I opened one eye disdainfully and unkindly wished the earth would open up and swallow Bates…When that failed to happen, I reluctantly forced my brain into action, and made the body follow…I got up and walked over to a container holding water and splashed some of the liquid on my face. Feeling a little more awake, I grabbed a ration bar from my vest, and went over to relieve Morrison “Off ya go mate, go grab a few zzzzz”, he got up and gave a muffled thanks, as he handed me a pair of binoculars. I took them off him, sat down and wondered how the people left on Atlantis were doing. The sun had just begun to come over the horizon, when I caught the refection of the sun’s rays shining of something in the valley opposite the village. I grabbed the binoculars and raised them to my eyes…”stone the crows…where’d you come from” I said to myself as the sight before me continued to reveal itself. I jumped on the radio “Sgt Bates...this is Antilles, you better get the Colonel, he’s gunna want ta see this..” Bates arrived first and took the binoculars off me, I stood back as he raised them to his eyes. A minute or so later Colonel Sumner arrived and Bates handed him the binoculars. Sumner Said something to Bates as he returned the binoculars, I was standing a little behind Bates and as the Colonel walked past, he quickly looked up and said, “Good work Antilles” “thanks sir,” I replied. Bates turned to me and said “Wake the men..i have a feeling we’ll be moving out shortly..”
The briefing was short and to the point. The Colonel informed the rest of the men about the ancient city/outpost I had discovered earlier that morning. He had sent Lt Ford to the gate to inform Atlantis, and Major Sheppard would stay in the village while the rest of us went out and did a recon of the ruins. We set off as soon as the Colonel had finished. The trek to the ruins took us 2 hours, and was a complete waste of time. The ruins had been abandoned for hundreds if not thousands of years and while we searched from top to bottom, we found nothing that would either help the people on Atlantis or any indication that we could use it as a place to stay. The Colonel called a halt to the search and ordered a return to the village. The days on the planet were short, it was almost dark when Colonel Sumner radioed Sheppard “Major Sheppard this is Sumner, come in...” “Colonel Sumner this is Lt Ford, Major Sheppard is out of radio range at the moment “a little exasperated the Colonel continued “Well where the hell is he?” “I think Tayla wanted him to see something”……”Colonel we have gate activity here!” We all tensed, waiting for Ford to finish…”Colonel, 3 bandits heading your way!!”
We had just made the edge of the settlement as the alien ships began to fly overhead…the villagers were running everywhere, gathering a few belongings, grabbing children. I heard the Colonel yell out “take cover!!” I found a spot and began tracking the strange craft with my p90. They were fast and agile. The nose was like the tip of a needle that gradually widened as you got to what looked like a cockpit, it broadened out more behind the cockpit, where the engines were, with a small sharp angular looking wing jutting down from the mail fuselage. As I continued to study the ship, I saw it emit a beam of some sort that hit the ground and moved across some of the villagers...in a second it was gone and so were they….”what the hell…” I stammered. Just then gunfire erupted from around the village, Colonel Sumner had given the order to open fire. I was about to open fire on the ships, when I caught movement out the corner of my eye, I turned and saw something moving through the brush, I waited for a second to make sure it wasn’t a villager then opened fire…it disappeared…wait, there’s another one, another short burst, again, I saw movement...they seemed to be all around us! I radioed Sumner “Colonel, there on the ground. There all around us!” I emptied a mag and loaded another when I heard Sheppard over the radio “Colonel, what you see on the ground is an illusion, concentrate your fire on the ships!” I forced myself to concentrate and aimed my p90 at one of the craft. I saw the Colonel grab Bates and point to one of the ships. A second later it exploded as Bates fired a missile at it. I had half a grin on my face, when an instant later, another ship passed over Bates and the Colonel, emitting that beam of light and they disappeared. “Sir the Colonels been taken!” I yelled over the radio to Sheppard. Then as quickly as they’d arrived the ships flew off, leaving the village in flames. Fords voice came over the radio “The gates coming on again, 2 enemy ships approaching!” “Let ‘em go”, replied Sheppard, ”they’ve got friendlies on board, look at the dialling device and burn those symbols into your mind” After Sheppard finished talking to Ford I asked “Major, Antilles here, what are your orders?” “Antilles, get the rest of the men and help get the villagers together, we’re taking them back to Atlantis” “ Sir , are you sure that’s a good idea, I mean Atlantis could be flooded any time now….””Antilles, I will not leave these people here, now you have your orders!” “yes sir” I replied a little stung by his response. It only took a little over 40 minutes to get the villagers to the gate together with the few belongings they had left.“Ok Lt” said Sheppard as we arrived” dial it up…”
<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Thu May 17, 2012 4:48 am

CHAPTER 4 cont...

“What the hell?” was my first thought as I arrived back at Atlantis. There were people running around grabbing packs and equipment, shouting to each other…”this can’t be good “, was my next thought. I saw Dr Weir grab Sheppard and start to say something to him…all of a sudden the building started to shake and the power went out. As I grabbed for something to hold onto, I saw Sheppard grab Halling’s son and begin to take him to the control room, just then there was an almighty jolt, just about everyone fell over and packing crates and supplies were falling everywhere, the shuddering became more violent, and it dawned on me then that the shield must have collapsed and that water was flooding the city. Vaguely amongst all the chaos and noise I heard Sheppard yell out “we’re moving!!” I forced my brain to focus for an instant on what Sheppard had said, and sure enough I could feel it! The city was moving upwards!! I kept looking at the window above the stairs, while trying to keep my balance, when all of a sudden I saw the water disappearing and bright sunlight come streaming through…we were on the surface!! The shaking began to subside as more and more of the city emerged from its long slumber beneath the ocean, until it had stopped completely. The power came back on as we began to pick ourselves and our equipment up. There was much hugging back slapping and hand shaking going on. Several people ran to the windows for a look outside. “crikey” I mumbled to myself, “it’s only the first day…”
“Why haven’t we left yet? Who knows what’s happening to the Colonel and the others by now!” was the question on everyone’s mind. It had been almost 2 hours since our return, “how long should it take to find that gate address that Lt Ford memorised?” was another. Everyone was eager to go get the Colonel, other team members and villagers back. As soon as things had settled down we had resupplied, grabbed some chow and waited impatiently for the word to go. And we were still waiting. And it was getting on peoples nerves. “you know “ said Tylden “if this expedition had a military leader, we’d be gone and half way back by now!” “that’s it” echoed Sanchez. Just then the door slid open and Major Sheppard walked in “ok” he began “We’ve got the green light to go get our people back. Sorry it took a while, but there were a lot of addresses to go through, and when we did find the right one, we discovered it was in space” “in space?” I asked “so how do we get there?” “oh that’s the fun part” he answered “ Doctor Mckay, has found a ship here that can fly through the gate and in space” I couldn’t help but let a “Cool” escape my mouth “yeah, that’s just what I said” Sheppard replied with a smile on his face. “So here’s the plan” he started “’we’re gunna take the ship and fly to the planet where they took our people. Do a recon by air, then land. We’ll reassess the situation once there, but the overall objective is to get everyone out alive and bring them home. Any questions?......................right gear up, we leave in ten.” As we walked into the ‘hanger bay’, I saw that these ships were quite different from anything I’d seen before. There were no visible engines or wings. They looked about 25 to 30 feet long by about 16/17 feet wide and about the same high. They were a kind of grey in colour with deep etchings in the hull. We walked around and entered through a door in the back, the inside was, from what I could see comprised of two compartments. The ‘cockpit’ at the front and the cargo/passenger space in the rear. We sat down as the ramp began to close. There was nothing to do but wait until we arrived. Sheppard’s voice came over the intercom “here we go, hang on!”
It only took a couple of minutes for us to get to the planet. Sheppard and Ford did a recon before setting us down in a clearing not far from the large structure they’d discovered. Lt Ford came through as we were landing “lock and load”. We formed a perimeter as the ramp came down. Sheppard followed “alright, teams of two. Learn what you can. Lay down the defences as you see fit, I wanna be able to light this place up if we have to” he stopped in front of Stackhouse “ two clicks and your cleared to talk” then more loudly to the rest of us “do not engage the enemy!” To Ford he said “you’re with me” As Sheppard and Ford headed off toward the enemy base, the rest of us split up as ordered to recon and prepare our defences in case they were needed. I was paired with Stackhouse. We’d just finished placing our last block of C4, when Stackhouse placed a hand on my shoulder. I looked up, he placed a finger to his lips, and then pointed. My gaze followed his outstretched finger…… I involuntarily caught my breath….my heart began to race. Not 30 feet away from us, walking along the path that led to the enemy base was…… I don’t know how to describe it...I guess monster would be the best word, it was about 6’6” tall with some sort of mask covering its face. It had long straggly white hair and was very muscular, it wore armour and was carrying a weapon the likes of which I’d never seen before. It was like all the worst creatures of every nightmare id ever had, had all been brought together into one creature. We waited til we were sure it was out of range before we dared to move. “What the hell was that thing?” asked Stackhouse shakily “I’m buggered if I know” I replied “but I do know we should get outta here before we bump into any more of them!” I gave Stackhouse a tap on the shoulder and we headed back towards the ‘jumper’
<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Thu May 17, 2012 4:51 am

CHAPTER 4 cont...

We made it back to the ‘jumper’ just as Sheppard shouted over the radio “light it up” we hit our remotes and several explosions erupted from around the base, we formed up into our perimeter again and waited. It didn’t take long for the enemy to respond. Within in a few minutes the enemy ships that we’d seen on Taylas planet began to appear…Stackhouse jumped onto the radio “Major, the jumpers secure for the moment, but we have a big problem!” A minute later “we have incoming!” Major Sheppard came running up a few seconds later as one of the enemy ships began to strafe the jumper. He grabbed Stackhouse’s gun and opened fire……A hit!! Smoke began to pour from the enemy craft as it flew away. We hurried back into the jumper and took off, we cloaked the ship and headed towards the gate. We thought we were pretty much home free until we saw that the gate was surrounded with about a dozen of the enemy ships. Sheppard and Ford were at the controls in the cockpit, we couldn’t hear what was being said but suddenly a bright light burst from what looked like the side of the ship, flew ahead and then doubled back. It must be one of those drone things, was my first thought. We flew past the gate and then circled back around the enemy ships guarding the gate exploded in great balls of flame, around again we went, this time heading straight for the gate, a couple of hits buffeted the jumper, I closed my eyes………… and, we were through!! We were in the gate room of Atlantis! I took a deep breath. “That was close” I thought to myself… As the jumper settled onto its landing pad in the hanger bay, Major Sheppard quipped “ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Atlantis. Please remain seated until the Puddle jumper comes to a full and complete stop “

The End (for now..)
<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Thu May 17, 2012 10:55 am

Very interesting Rob...me likes 8)
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Sun May 20, 2012 9:21 am

I just noticed you wrote "the end for now" I hope not too long... can't wait to read more!
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies

Return to Stargate FanFic