[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - Uniform Jacket
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Uniform Jacket

<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:48 am

Re: Uniform Jacket

Ok, so the TruSpec ones are a little darker then, and a good match to Dans jacket? I could always dye them of course, but they have the perfect faded and worn look I like, not to mention that they match my BDU shirt perfectly. I am actually thinking of washing the jacket a few time, perhaps with a very soft bleach to fade it down a bit.
NAME: ... that new guy Dr Jackson dragged in.
CALLSIGN: DustyBadger
ASSIGNMENT: ... dont know yet, but it seems to have something to do with those early Asgardian artefacts SG1 found on Nifelheim.

I hope you like Guinness, sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for... food.
Col. Jack O'Neill. Lost City, part 1.
<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:48 am

not sure on the bleaching part mate....but i read once that the tru spec are a good match for dans jacket..
NAME:Rob Antilles
CALLSIGN:Shifty
ASSIGNMENT:Atlantis
Member of SG-7 (Australia)
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:46 pm

Do not use bleach on the jacket you got from Dan! It will turn the black sections a funny shade of orange. I've seen the results on pants made from the same fabric when Sean's had to use what they call block whitener at the store - really just a fancy name for bleach. Sean's jacket is in his room but when it has needed cleaning I use the home dry cleaning sheets & my dryer for the purpose. Washing in water will shrink it. Also, if you got the lined jacked you will definitely want to dry clean rather than launder it. The type of lining fabric used by the manufacturer of the base jacket is the same stuff used to line men's suits & does not do well with laundering in water.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!
<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:18 pm

...aren't those dry cleaning sheets wonderful, Chief? I use them between taking to the dry cleaners. A great invention!
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:52 pm

The sheets actually do a very good job & if you check your clothes that need dry cleaning regularly can eliminate more than a few trips to the dry cleaners. Agree - great invention for saving money.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:25 am

ASSIGNMENT: ... dont know yet, but it seems to have something to do with those early Asgardian artefacts SG1 found on Nifelheim.

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:07 pm

Yes, Dusty, the manufacturer's label that Dan is going by does say that the jacket can be laundered but I have washed other things with the same type of lining fabric with really bad results. Usually that happens because the lining has not been pre-shrunk & so while the body fabric may not shrink, the lining does. When I make clothes myself that require a lining I use a different type fabric or pre-shrink the lining. Sean's jacket is the unlined version I think.

Guide for deciding whether you want to wash your jacket in cold water: if the lining looks & feels like a soft cotton, you should be able to wash the jacket in cold water on gentle. The first couple of times you wash it, hang it up to dry. If the lining looks shiny & feels slippery or like satin, dry clean it. If you can buy the sheets Zathras & I mentioned (Dry Cleaner's Secret or something similar) at the local market or variety store you can clean the jacket at home using your dryer on "air dry" or "delicate" for about 5-10 minutes. The sheets look like fabric softener sheets & some brands include a bag that you put your garments & the dry cleaner sheet in for the process. Others you simply put the maximum number of items stated on the box & the sheet directly in the dryer.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

Lt.Ackerson

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:01 pm

Yes the non-canon spec-ops Atlantis jacket I got from Dan is the unlined version. As for the bleaching effect on the pants Chief mentioned is very faint but noticeable in spots and Block Whitener is a thick pale green goop that smells like bleach.
Sean "Nightstick" Ackerson
Lieutenant USN Iliad Flight ops CAG
VXS-223 "Ghost Hawks" Leader
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM
Saddle up, lock and load.
LT Stoddard USN (on )
iPod Touch post color
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:05 pm

I do believe there is a slight difference between the Atlantis jackets and the cotton ripstop SG1 jacket I have, but the lining is the black shiny one with sewn squares. This dry cleaning sheet thing sounds mighty exotic, have never heard about it before. But it doesn't sound like the way to go if one wants to get the jacket paler and worn looking.

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:34 pm

Wearing it will help with the worn look. Just don't go with bleach whatever you do. It doesn't do black any good whatsoever.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

Previous

Return to SG-1 & Movies