[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - Replicator Props
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Replicator Props

<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:52 pm

Replicator Props

Does anyone have the plans for assembling a replicator out of the molded chips? Also, while I have a chip to create a mold from, can anyone suggest the correct materials to make the mold, as well as, the chips themselves?
Matt Snyder
CO, 10th SFS - Tau'ri Furies
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

tank20032002

Captain
Captain

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:40 pm

Re: Replicator Props

I have seen resin and plastic used
<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:32 pm

Yeah, I've seen the stuff as well. I'm just interested in getting a discussion going on these threads and wanted to find out exactly what materials make the best molds and best chips. Info on where to buy the stuff would be highly benificial as well. Last time I didn any molds was for metal BattleTech minitures and that took a special type of mold material etc.
Matt Snyder

<<

tank20032002

Captain
Captain

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:18 pm

I have heard and read that clay is a good medium to use to make a mold for the resgn or plastic but you would need a piece to form the mold unless you can eyeball it.
Frank Kennedy
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SG-SOCOM
<<

Jacentk2

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:43 am

Cavin and I have been here and done this.....LOL.

Makeing a "master" from scratch was hard alone....we used clay.

But since you have a real chip use that to make the mold.....

A few of the probs we had....getting the mold perfect....

we used "alumilite" I think.... it's a starter kit for resin....but we first got some bad airpockets that would not give a good cast.

Also we tried doing it one chip at a time and then using a resin glue to get them together in the proper configuration.....difficult again....

What we ended up doing just so that we had a product for a con...was do do the whole object in clay....but not chip by chip.....instaed a full wing or leg would be done in clay and once cooked we glues them together.....and then spray painted it for right color.....Matt you may find a starter kit for resin at places like Hobbytown USA....theres one in Frederick.
<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:13 am

Well with Carl's help I got a single-sided Replicator chip mold made... I will use it to make chips and then also remodel a chip to make a double-sided Replicator chip and make a new mold. In this way we'll be able to make both typs of chips which will create a better Replicator model.
Matt Snyder

<<

Jacentk2

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:12 pm

Way back when..... Cavin and I did not have a mold of a "real' chip and we made our own from clay....then made a replicator. Some of you have seen it before.....but here's a pic for those the did not.

<<

Rasputin

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:27 pm

Considering this project was started from scratch without a real chip...it was awsome. The problem with the baked clay was that it was heavy, and the glue was not strong enough to support the weight. I wonder if foam or balsa wood might have possibilities for this project. Balsa wood would be easier to "replicate" because you don't have to carve the parts, and the finished product would still be light and somewhat strong.
<<

Strofmos

New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:17 pm

For those who don't want to build from scratch:

the following website sells a Replicator Bug kit, as well as, TER and 2 types of ZAT kits

http://www.frontiermodels.co.uk/sci-fi-Props.htm
<b>Sheppard:</b> How's it coming, Rodney?
<b>McKay:</b> Slower than I expected, but faster than humanly possible.
<<

Jacentk2

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:01 pm

Yes while it may be easy and convenient to buy the kit and build and paint it... that takes out some of the fun.....It took Cavin and I several sessions of hanging out at his place and having a good time (the basis of our little band of SGers) just to get those chips how we wanted and so on....

That's the beauty of starting from scratch....you can improve on the design and put your own "flavor" to it and add it in as part of some alternate"verse" in the expanding world of SG.
<<

p0rtalman

New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:50 am

This may be resurrecting an old thread, but i have had a decent amount of experience with casting, so here goes:

I would suggest making the mold with silicon rubber, i myself use rebound 25 from smooth-on, you could re-cast one of the prop pieces you can buy for like $30-40 from various places or you could sculpt one yourself from sulfur free modeling clay.
To cast you could cold cast using aluminum (this would give it a really cool authentic look, or you could use resin, which is quick, light and strong.

From there you just need to make enough pieces and somehow put them together.

If anyone has any other questions about molding and casting please ask!
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:32 am

Did you go any further with the Replicator project DerinL?
I just fond this old thread after starting to think that building a replicator would be fun the other day.
NAME: ... that new guy Dr Jackson dragged in.
CALLSIGN: DustyBadger
ASSIGNMENT: ... dont know yet, but it seems to have something to do with those early Asgardian artefacts SG1 found on Nifelheim.

I hope you like Guinness, sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for... food.
Col. Jack O'Neill. Lost City, part 1.

Return to SG-1 & Movies