[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - Motorola Visar Radio
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Motorola Visar Radio

<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Fri May 31, 2013 5:24 am

Motorola Visar Radio

We haven't mentioned the SG1 radio in our costumes or prop guides I believe. But it seems to be a consensus that it is the Motorola Visar.
It comes in two versions as far as I know, one with dials and one without. It seems like the clean one is the version used on the show. It also comes with two kinds of batteries, the basic and a slim version.

Stitch have them in his loft as well as a resin replica I believe. I have ordered one from him but have not got it yet. But I have come accross some at a clearence sale here in Sweden as well, but so far I am waiting for price information from the seller.

Have any one here any experience of using these radios, any version?
NAME: ... that new guy Dr Jackson dragged in.
CALLSIGN: DustyBadger
ASSIGNMENT: ... dont know yet, but it seems to have something to do with those early Asgardian artefacts SG1 found on Nifelheim.

I hope you like Guinness, sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for... food.
Col. Jack O'Neill. Lost City, part 1.
<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:05 am

Re: Motorola Visar Radio

hey dusty..sorry for the delay in replying...the motorola visar is used on both sg1 and atlantis..i have one i got off ebay..it doesnt work..but fills out the kit nicely. A friend of mine has several that work and we recently used them at a con we went to. People were super impressed when we'd call each other..they work exactly like they do in the show and are very loud.

the other radio they used in later seasons of both shows was the motorola cls1110.. heres a pic of it here

while stitch is really good if you want everything in one hit...stuff like the radio's can be found on ebay really cheaply, if your prepared to wait...i think i paid a grand total of $30 total for both my radio's..
NAME:Rob Antilles
CALLSIGN:Shifty
ASSIGNMENT:Atlantis
Member of SG-7 (Australia)
<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

and again..
Last edited by shifty on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

sorry for the multiple posts
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:28 pm

30 dollars, thats cheap!
Mostly I have only found them for 100 or more. Except right now of cause, as there is one rater cheep up today. Using them at a Con sounds both awesome and practical. It seems like the Visar needs to be programmed via computor, do you have any experience of that or did you friend buy them "in tune" so to speak?

It would be nice I think if we could find some good screen captures of the radios and put up on our costume guide sometime.
ASSIGNMENT: ... dont know yet, but it seems to have something to do with those early Asgardian artefacts SG1 found on Nifelheim.

<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:39 pm

They were already programmed dusty. He bought a lot of 6 with a charger
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:20 pm

I keep my fingers crossed that my three will be that as well.

<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:36 pm

Here is my latest addition to the SG-props. I fond a radio-seller here in Sweden who sold them. I got 4 working Visar radios, with batteries, 3 extra batteries, a charger along with a not working radio (the one without antenna) and variety of other small things like beltclips and so on for them. Now I got to find the right antennas to them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:52 pm

Very cool dusty....

When you buy the aerials, don't go for the cheap ones. I did and found it caused a lot of feedback. Made the radio impossible to use..
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:44 pm

Good to know. I'll start to look around for them.

Return to SG-1 & Movies