[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - SGA costume progress
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

SGA costume progress

<<

Naasad Tal

General Forum Member
General Forum Member

Post Fri May 02, 2014 6:26 am

SGA costume progress

Hey guys, thought it was time to show what i've collected so far. I ordered my BDUs & patches yesterday & if all goes well, those should arrive next week. Meanwhile, here is the gear I have on hand...

My vest...my Beretta 9mm fits VERY nicely in the crossdraw holster...

Thigh holster...as you can see, my poor liitle 9mm is all but swallowed up by this thing...I have a desert eagle for it, but I'm thinking now that a closed Zat would fit very well in there as well...

& last, but not least...my Well d90h -ducks to avoid tomatoes being thrown- I know alot of folks have an issue with the Well p90, but for my purposes (namely budget), it works VERY well as a prop. I have a TM p90 magazine on it's way to replace (with a little modding) the gravity mag that the Well came with. I also had to fabricate a screen accurate flash hider since the d90h only comes with a mock silencer that looked EXTREMELY goofy on the gun. I think the new flash hider came out lookin pretty good if i do say so myself...

So that's what I've got, feel free to comment & critique, I welcome any & all input

Thanx for looking...

Chris
<<

JAltermott

Major
Major

Post Sun May 04, 2014 10:32 pm

Re: SGA costume progress

Looking good!

I'm jealous you have a p90 prop. I personally have no problem with the Well p90 as cost is also a factor in what I purchase for my own outfits. As for the sidearm for the drop holster, I would suggest using the desert eagle as opposed to the zat since I'm pretty sure the zat wasn't seen on-screen in SGA.

Are you going for a Dickies Conversion Jacket SGA uniform or the black BDU uniform Shepherd often wore? Just curious.
John Altermott
Call Sign: "Flat Top" (JAltermott)
Maj., United States Air Force
CO, S2- Intelligence
SG-22 - SEALs (Team Pilot) - Fireteam Bravo
USS ILIAD (TDY) - Stargate Command
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
<<

Naasad Tal

General Forum Member
General Forum Member

Post Mon May 05, 2014 12:06 am

I ordered the 2 pocket BDU top that he wore
<<

Hibson

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Mon May 05, 2014 1:30 am

Very nice, mate! I'd agree with the Desert Eagle for that holster :D Don't worry about the P90, most of us use cheap ones for costuming, especially if we need to break them in any way to be con-friendly ;)
Hibson
Second Lieutenant, United States Army
SG-22 - SEALs (SAR/HR expert)
Stargate Command
<<

Naasad Tal

General Forum Member
General Forum Member

Post Mon May 05, 2014 2:32 am

Luckily here in Arizona our guns laws are pretty liberal...we are a right to carry state & most of our cons are pretty lax when it comes to weapons. That being said, the realistic guns ARE still peace bonded & the gun has to be rendered non-fireable, which can be done by simply removing the mag or battery.

I have some new pics for you guys as well...

Got my Atlantis patch on Saturday (still waiting on the American Flag, which should be here tomorrow or tuesday)

Also finished my p90 sling...pretty close to screen accurate & all hand stitched by me so I'm pretty proud of it...

The TM mag I ordered for my p90 should be here tomorrow or tuesday as well & it looks like my BDUs will be here by Wednesday...once I get all the parts together it'll just be a matter of assembly & that may take a whole afternoon so if all goes well I'll have completed pics to share by this coming weekend!!

Thanx for looking!

Chris
<<

JAltermott

Major
Major

Post Mon May 05, 2014 7:49 am

Looking good, Chris. Nice job on the sling.
John Altermott
CO, S2- Intelligence
<<

Naasad Tal

General Forum Member
General Forum Member

Post Tue May 06, 2014 2:04 am

Thanx JAltermott, I appreciate the comments!

Welp...now all I need is the BDUs...

Gotta mod my Well to accomodate the TM mag, but thanx to the tutorials on SG1props.com, that shouldn't be a problem...although I WOULD like to mod it to still be fireable, which may require a barrel swap

BDUs should be here Wednesday & I'll start sewing velcro...

Thanx for looking

Chris
<<

Hibson

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Tue May 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Nice! Very nice :D How did you construct your sling? A tutorial?
Hibson
Stargate Command
<<

Naasad Tal

General Forum Member
General Forum Member

Post Wed May 07, 2014 2:26 am

Honestly the sling was pretty easy, I just looked at pics of the screen used one & copied it. I'll try to walk you thru it as best I can as there wasn't really a whole lot of planning & in the end it was even more guess work.

The center buckle had to be ordered & is the same one used in the show
I used 2 side release clips on the shoulders & 4 sliders
I used both 2in & 1in webbing for the sling.
The back is made up of several lengths of 2in, lengths listed below
- cross piece is 8in long
- shoulder pieces are 8in long
- under arm pieces are 6iin long
Outside of those measurements, it was all guess work. I originally had my shoulders at 12in, but cut them down & I didn't have the lower back pieces on at first either. I basically just sewed the pieces together by how it looked in the reference pictures.

So there ya have it, not much help I'm afraid, but hopefully enough. If you've got any questions though, please feel free to drop me a line.

Thanx again all for the comments & keep em coming.

Chris
<<

Hibson

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Wed May 07, 2014 2:30 am

Pretty darn cool! Thanks for the walk through :D Nice work on the sling :)!
Hibson
Stargate Command
<<

Naasad Tal

General Forum Member
General Forum Member

Post Wed May 07, 2014 2:49 am

Anytime ner vod! & thanx for the compliments
<<

JAltermott

Major
Major

Post Wed May 07, 2014 8:23 pm

I'm looking into purchasing a Well p90 of my own so I will definitely be paying close attention to your sling design and directions.
John Altermott
CO, S2- Intelligence
<<

Naasad Tal

General Forum Member
General Forum Member

Post Thu May 08, 2014 2:52 am

Glad I was able to help J, I'm actually looking into modding my Well to be able to fire using the FAR superior TM mag, been going over pics of the internals & it looks like if I can relocate one piece, it should work

-fingers crossed-

now a good news/bad news report...

...I got my BDUs today & to my joy, they were the summer weight material(YAY), but they don't fit right (BOO)

I went to a local surplus store & tried on some items to get fitting right & I ordered from tacticalgear.com (my local store didn't carry the 2 pocket shirt), the shirt that I ordered was too big & the pants were too small(despite fitting right in the store). not sure where the difference is, but I can only assume that it has to do with the material used.

So long story short I have to return BOTH items & wait for them to refund the purchase price (not getting the shipping cost back & they're making me pay the return shipping...LAME) before I can reorder. Chances are that I will not be using this site in the future, I may try my local shop again & see what they can offer, if not I'll have to go back to the online option.

Hopefully I can get everything together in time for our big con here which happens the first weekend in June

-le sigh-
<<

Hibson

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Thu May 08, 2014 2:55 am

Hold up, what brand did you try in the store? And are you using the standard military sizing? I'd recommend just taking your measurements and ordering based on those...the material really shouldn't be the difference... My XSR in BDUs fit just the same as the same in my ACUs...
Hibson
Stargate Command
<<

Hibson

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Thu May 08, 2014 2:55 am

Hold up, what brand did you try in the store? And are you using the standard military sizing? I'd recommend just taking your measurements and ordering based on those...the material really shouldn't be the difference... My XSR in BDUs fit just the same as the same in my ACUs... Also, with surplus, the sizing might be off and the material/uniform stretched/worn etc...
Hibson
Stargate Command
<<

Naasad Tal

General Forum Member
General Forum Member

Post Thu May 08, 2014 3:03 am

Both in store & online items were the "propper" brand & the stuff I tried on in the store was new not used. Only reason I didn't get the stuff I tried on in the store was because they didn't have the 2 pocket shirt, what I tried on was the standard 4 pocket
<<

Hibson

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Thu May 08, 2014 3:20 am

Fair enough, then the sizing should have been the same... Weird. You did take down the sizing? Could be defective items...
Hibson
Stargate Command
<<

Naasad Tal

General Forum Member
General Forum Member

Post Thu May 08, 2014 3:23 am

Yupp, I ordered the exact same sizes I had tried on in the store. I'm hoping that the return/exchange process won't take long & that I'll be able to get the replacement stuff in time for the Con.
<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Thu May 08, 2014 2:00 pm

It could be a matter of where the items were produced & materials sourced. Overseas production & sourcing can result in closer fitting shirts/pants. US production/ sourcing is true to size. Just a thought, hope this helps a bit.
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM
<<

JAltermott

Major
Major

Post Fri May 09, 2014 10:04 pm

Sorry to hear about the BDUs Chris. Mine fit great, even with the bit of a spare tire I'm still carrying but hoping to have worked off by Rose City Comic Con. Any chance you can return them and get replacement pieces?

With regards to your p90, can I ask where you got your optical sight and flashlight accessories? I have a Well p90 coming in the mail early next week and will of course be looking to add a sight and flashlight to mine.
John Altermott
CO, S2- Intelligence
Next

Return to Costume & Prop Discussion Area