[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - I have a dream
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

I have a dream

<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:32 am

I have a dream

Ever since I began playing airsoft and reading the costume guides, I have wanted to put together a gray outfit with black accessories. This desire only got greater after watching "Flashpoint", When I saw how good that combination looked. The only problem, I could not find any store or site that sold gray BDUs.
Well that problem has been solved. I found a site that sells all kinds of uniform parts in all kinds of colors. They also make name tapes in gray with Black lettering. So now the search for the appropriate patches starts. My only concern in making a Police Swat costume is how do you make a realistic looking Police costume that is totally fabricated and not get picked up for impersonating a Police officer? Don't make it a Police outfit. Stargate Spec Ops in gray.
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
CO:SG- Prometheus
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
CO:Team Prometheus Airsoft
Owner: Symweap Airsoft
" Beware Merlin, for he knows all things by the Devil's craft "
<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: I have a dream

That would be a pretty smart looking uniform for sure.
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM
<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:09 pm

I've decided to go with the Stargate format ( of course). Medium gray BDUs, dark gray name tapes with silver lettering, black Velcro, black and silver SGC Special Forces patch, black Tac-Vest and hydration pack and a black baseball cap with "SGC" in silver. When complete, I'll post some pictures.

I also want to finish my black gear. Black BDUs with black and silver name tapes,the same shoulder patch, black vest, black Velcro and the same ball cap.

When these are done I plan on working on a desert (tan) outfit. These will be more for playing (airsoft) than for costuming.
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
SG-SOCOM
<<

JAltermott

Major
Major

Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:16 pm

John Altermott
Call Sign: "Flat Top" (JAltermott)
Maj., United States Air Force
CO, S2- Intelligence
SG-22 - SEALs (Team Pilot) - Fireteam Bravo
USS ILIAD (TDY) - Stargate Command
<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:23 pm

Well I started on both projects with the cheapest parts required. I received the black on gray name tapes and the silver on black name tapes. I also had the ball cap made by the same people that made our team hats. I also received several sets of Stargate Special Forces patches. The name tapes and SG-SF patches look great, I can't wait to order the BDUs and get both "uniforms "completed. When these are done that will leave only one outfit to build, a desert color scheme. This is a must, as most large airsoft games divide players up by the color of their uniform. This will be the most expensive outfit to make as it will require the purchase of everything for it., from boots to cap.
Last edited by merlin on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
SG-SOCOM
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:08 pm

Sounds like an interesting project you have there. Let us know how it turns out.
NAME: ... that new guy Dr Jackson dragged in.
CALLSIGN: DustyBadger
ASSIGNMENT: ... dont know yet, but it seems to have something to do with those early Asgardian artefacts SG1 found on Nifelheim.

I hope you like Guinness, sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for... food.
Col. Jack O'Neill. Lost City, part 1.
<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Tue May 27, 2014 8:20 pm

Both the black and the gray outfits are progressing slowly, I have all the incidental items (patches and name tapes) but as yet nothing to put them on (except the black uniform which I already had) Now I need to get the Velcro in the proper colors. I'll probably get these from Williams & Williams. I'll keep you in the loop as things progress.
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
SG-SOCOM
<<

JAltermott

Major
Major

Post Tue May 27, 2014 11:59 pm

John Altermott
CO, S2- Intelligence
<<

Hibson

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Wed May 28, 2014 12:50 am

Yes, please do :) I haven't' heard of that source yet :)
Hibson
Second Lieutenant, United States Army
SG-22 - SEALs (SAR/HR expert)
Stargate Command
<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Wed May 28, 2014 2:44 am

Hibson: they are listed on the links page as a vendor, here is the address http://www.nametags4u.com
They are in Lakeland, Florida. I'm in New Port Richey, Florida just a short 90 minute drive from Lakeland.
Last edited by merlin on Wed May 28, 2014 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
SG-SOCOM
<<

Hibson

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Wed May 28, 2014 2:46 am

Thank you very much! I shall go and peruse said list of vendors now :D And hide my wallet ;)

Does the velcro backings wash well when sewn on? Just curious... Also, where you all bought yours when you answer would be great. Wondering if the quality of all sources are the same when they're washed or not is all :) Thanks!
Hibson
Stargate Command
<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Wed May 28, 2014 4:37 pm

I've had Velcro on my airsoft uniform for years now and have not had a problem with it. It has seen a lot of washings and the Velcro looks and works like new, Just don't go near it with an Iron, the sew on type does not react well to heat.

I got my black Velcro from Jo-Ann's Fabric here in Tampa. I got a 2"X25 yard roll. It had both hook and loop sides in the box. http://www.joann.com For costume purposes, they will be able to help you with any color you want, as long as it's black or white.

Other sources are:

Fiener Supply http://www.feinersupply.com
They carry a rainbow of colors in bulk packages.

Williams & Williams https://www.nametags4u.com
They carry many colors in fixed width and lengths.

Depending on what you are looking for, you should be able to find it on one of these sites.
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
SG-SOCOM
<<

Hibson

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Wed May 28, 2014 5:16 pm

Thanks a bunch! I've got the backings I need for the black uniform and it'll be a while before I go for OD or desert versions :) Good thing my ACUs require no more backings :D It's all set up!
Hibson
Stargate Command
<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:54 pm

I finally found a decent picture of the gray outfit ( and how to resize it to fit on the forum) so with out further ado here it is. The police patches will of course be replaced with Stargate related patches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
SG-SOCOM
<<

Hibson

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:23 pm

Love it!!! You're awesome at finding all sorts of things :D Thanks again, Merlin!
Hibson
Stargate Command
<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:47 pm

OK, here's a current update on uniform progress. I've received all the patches and name tapes required for all projects (yeah), The Patches came from Sci-Fi Geeks, great quality and decent price. I also got die cut Velcro for the 4" patches (also from Sci-Fi Geeks). I should have gone to Williams & Williams for these as well, as they are $4.00 cheaper per set than Sci-Fi Geeks. Just proves you have to do through research before ordering stuff. The patches come with a heat activated adhesive on the back, although they don't recommend using high heat, I attached the hook side of the Velcro using a steam setting on the iron. This made the adhesive melt quickly and flow evenly. It also held the Velcro in place as I sewed it to the patch. The name tapes came with the Velcro attached, so that was less I had to worry about. After the patches were done I turned my attention to the uniform shirts. Under the SG Special Forces patch (which also happens to be the airsoft team patch) I sewed a 4" round piece of loop Velcro(This was on the left shoulder). On the right shoulder I sewed a 4"x4" piece of loop Velcro of the appropriate color. I was particularly happy to find a military clothing supplier who made custom name tapes, these also came with the hook side of the Velcro attached so I only had to sew the loop side onto the shirts. When I was shopping for Velcro, I looked at several sites seriously, the best price and value was at Williams & Williams. A 1 foot (12 inch long)piece of 4"wide Velcro is $2.00 per side, the Velcro Attach a Patch kit was $8.00, and it contains a 12 inch section of both sides, so the kit is twice as expensive as the by the foot option. The kit was not a bargain in my opinion.
I'm waiting for the rest of the accessories for the black and gray outfits to arrive (should be here on Wednesday)
When everything is here and the outfit is complete I'll take some pictures and post them.
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
SG-SOCOM
<<

JAltermott

Major
Major

Post Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:33 am

Sounds like some productive costuming, Merlin. Can't wait to see the pics!
John Altermott
CO, S2- Intelligence
<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:29 am

I'm going to wait a bit on the desert outfit, as I said before. I'll have to purchase absolutely everything for this color scheme. The gray on the other hand should be ordered soon, I'm just a little skittish of ordering clothes on line, without being able to try them on, clothes tend never to fit right. I'll have to see the sizes of what I already have and adjust accordingly. But it will be done by months end.
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
SG-SOCOM
<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:33 am

are you thinking a dessert uniform in plain tan or 1 of the several differing dessert camo patterns? I wouldn't mind doing dessert at some point w/a slight lean towards plain tan possibly. Thankfully I've had good luck w/ordering the few things I have.
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM
<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:18 am

I'm looking at the three color scheme. The chocolate chip scheme is getting harder and harder to find. One problem I have with this idea is that the Stargate Special Forces Patch is not made in the desert color. Almost all the others are. Another thing that has put this project on the back burner is cost. I'll have to buy virtually everything required for this color scheme, nothing I have presently can be used. If I use the pants and jackets I have as a guide as to size, I don't think I'll have much of a problem with the gray outfit, but that lingering doubt makes me hesitant.
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
SG-SOCOM

Return to Costume & Prop Discussion Area