1st SG costume

<<

TB-5380

Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:06 am

1st SG costume

Hi !
After reading in the forum and some PDFs the costume documentation i have some questions
i can make any SG costume with any kind of patches ?
for my region is any costume and SG designation that i have to follow?
or i can start with an SGA black uniform with an Atlantis patch and Argentina flag?

Pls consider the barrier language, i really try to not ask obvious things.

Thank you

TB-5380
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: 1st SG costume

One thing you will notice when shopping for costume parts - we mention blue BDUs for one of the options. At least here in the States those are not easy to find. So a lot of people use black BDUs instead.

For an Atlantis black uniform, I would watch a couple of episodes where the one you want to use appears and see what type of patches were used in addition to national flags.

Or, if you would like to be part of the non-regional USS Iliad team, you are welcome to come aboard. Then you can use the Iliad patch which is available via the forums Quartermaster section. Our garrison uniform options are why I mentioned that the blue BDUs are difficult to find.

Maj. Fields is a good resource when it comes to costuming so you may want to send him a PM for suggestions.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!
<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards: test award

Post Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Hello there... being from Argentina, you'll be the first member and shuuld complete a post in the following Theta Sector thread: Sector Roll Call: ALL Sector members post here.

That said, there are no teams or squadrons assigned in the Theta sector and you are free to choose a costume of your choice. Given your interest in doing a black SGA styled uniform, I would agree that the Atlantis patch and Argentina flag would be appropriate. Also, if you like the grey SGA uniforms, Dan Kim over at SFH.net is a great resource.
Matt Snyder
CO, 10th SFS - Tau'ri Furies
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:29 am

if this is your first costume, then id say the atlantis black bdu "sheppard" uniform that you mentioned is the way to go. its extremely easy to get the bdu shirt and pants, and the patches are easy to come by as well. (just a quick note on the BDU shirt..you need to make sure its the 2 pocket style)

my next question, concerns, how much you want to spend and how accurate you want it to be. this includes the patches, there are quite a few makes of the atlantis patch, all with varying price tags.

do you want the vest, the p90, the harness, etc. again with these, there are a number of items, of varying prices and accuracy. Its entirely up to you and what your budget is.

having said that, dont feel you have to be super accurate..its all about fun, and no one will tell you off, cause your patches arent exactly the same as they use on the show.

lastly...when youve got your first costume done...make sure you send us plenty of photos!!!!
NAME:Rob Antilles
CALLSIGN:Shifty
ASSIGNMENT:Atlantis
Member of SG-7 (Australia)
<<

TB-5380

Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:35 am

shifty wrote:if this is your first costume, then id say the atlantis black bdu "sheppard" uniform that you mentioned is the way to go. its extremely easy to get the bdu shirt and pants, and the patches are easy to come by as well. (just a quick note on the BDU shirt..you need to make sure its the 2 pocket style)

my next question, concerns, how much you want to spend and how accurate you want it to be. this includes the patches, there are quite a few makes of the atlantis patch, all with varying price tags.

do you want the vest, the p90, the harness, etc. again with these, there are a number of items, of varying prices and accuracy. Its entirely up to you and what your budget is.

having said that, dont feel you have to be super accurate..its all about fun, and no one will tell you off, cause your patches arent exactly the same as they use on the show.

lastly...when youve got your first costume done...make sure you send us plenty of photos!!!!

At first, BDUs can be easy to get in USA, but here only got few ACUs, people here use that uniforms for Paintball and hunt, WEP jackets are impossible here and P90 dont exist too.
We do have some vest makers with models like BH Elite and Medical, in about 80/90 USD, but the police and military here have a very different design for uniforms, nothing that i can use for a costume.

I really like accuracy, i've looking screen caps and noticed Sheppard wears Patches when uses the offworld Navy outfit, when he uses the Black offworld i didn't saw any path, but when he is in the City without the vest he wears the Atlantis patch and the US Flag.
Of course if i use my Country flag is not going to be "that accurate" but i want the best that i can find for now.

Other issue for me is Customs charges and restriccions, we have a 50% tax over the value of items plus shipping, things like clothes are controlled, and most vendors dont ship outside USA :(
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:36 am

What if someone were to pick the clothing items up for you here in the US then send them to you as one individual to another? Would that be a problem under Argentine customs rules?
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!
<<

TB-5380

Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:25 pm

Chief Bugga wrote:What if someone were to pick the clothing items up for you here in the US then send them to you as one individual to another? Would that be a problem under Argentine customs rules?

Sure that can really helps! some of my Scout Trooper costume was done in that way.
Little thigs like the patches in an envelope can bypass the Customs system and go directly to my house, but if it comes in a box sure gets cought in Customs and they notify you to pick it up and pay the tax, or never appears again :cry:
But if comes not from a store there is no problem, most of the missing packets are from Amazon or some stores with rotuled boxes.
Till now i never lost a packet from an Ebay Seller, saddly most of them only ships within US.
<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:45 am

ok..i can put you in contact with someone who sells p90's and wep8 jackets, plus vests and anything else you might need. as for an Argentinian patch on an atlantis uniform, you can do that...and it will still be accurate, since atlantis expedition was multi national....

and if you explain the tax cost, they might be able to put a lower value on the parcel..

let me know if you want to contact the people who can get you the vests etc....
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:43 am

Send me a PM. May be we can work a way to help you after the holidays.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

TB-5380

Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:07 am

I'm back on track with this costume proyect :D
To minimize the parts i need to buy outside my country i need your advice in parts that i found here:

Bdu black uniform, 4 pockets, i think i can remove the 2 left overs:
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-141674653-uniforme-tactico-de-combate-negro-pantalon-y-chaqueta-_JM
This one even comes in navy blue, same 4 pockets problem and i think they dont have epaulets:
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-143515074-uniforme-tactico-ripstop-negro-policia-geof-ge1-paintball-_JM#questionText

Tactical Vest for Atlantis
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-142079813-chaleco-tactico-con-pistolera-fijo-_JM

Tactical Vest for SG1
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-144931504-chaleco-m2sft-tactico-regulable-de-semper-fi-tactical-_JM

Pistol Hoslter:
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-421280813-muslera-universal-negra-de-semper-fi-tactical-_JM

Let me know what you think please !
<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:17 am

first of all i have a question..what currency are those prices based on? that seems really expensive..

im sure the bdu's would suffice for both sg1 and atlantis. just remember it was only olive drab and navy for sg1, and only sheppard wore black bdu's in atlantis. both of the vests are fine. dont be too fussed. when people see the stargate patches on your sleeves, they will know straight away what show your from.

Can you get argentinian military clothing? theres nothing to suggest that down the track, there wasnt an argentinian sg team. you can use the vests and just add sg patches to the uniform..similar to what i did with my australian themed sg costume.

the holster looks good too! i think your well on the way!

just remember its all about about fun..no one will critizice you if its not 100% correct...as long as it looks right..and you had fun putting it together..thats all that matters
<<

TB-5380

Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:31 am

Shifty, our Peso Argentino is $4,40 for U$S 1 US Dollar.

So the BDUS are between U$S97-110, the vests SGA U$S113, SG1 U$S87, pistol holster U$S27
In front to Ebay prices seems to be expensive, especially the BDUS, but we have a real mean customs office, that some times retain or lost the packages, for example we are not allowed to import clothing, if the inspector at charge opens the package and think the BDUS are clothing they can retain it and you loose it, if they not cofiscate the package you have to pay 50% tax over the ammount of the product plus shipping fee, so the numbers rise up quickly.

Our Army hae this one http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-145223849-uniforme-camo-woodland-original-ejercito-argentino-_JM and this other one for the south http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-143787613-uniforme-patagonico-original-pantalon-y-camisola-ejercito-_JM

Other advantage to buy in Mercado Libre is monthly payments till 12 months without interest, on Ebay is one pay only :(

Thanks for the review Cap. Antilles (Star Wars joke :D )
<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:04 pm

The woodland camo's look good and would b perfect for an sg1 off world costume. Just add the patches and your away!!
<<

TB-5380

Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:21 pm

I officially started my Sheppard style costume !
Just ordered my earpiece and a set of patches from Stich :D
I'll be completing the costume in USA in time for Dragon Con !
See you :D
<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards: test award

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:55 pm

Glad to hear back from you and its reat that you'll be able to attend DragonCon. It's a monster event and alot of fun. We're still hoping to get back there in a year or so... RL... oh well.
Matt Snyder
CO, 10th SFS - Tau'ri Furies
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Stitch

Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:21 pm

TB-5380 wrote:I officially started my Sheppard style costume !

You got them ok right?
"STITCH"
http://www.stitchsloft.com
For your out of this world prop and costume needs

SFH Non-Regional Team Executive Councilman
StargateHero.Net Chief of Operations
"THAT'S... Lt. Col, Errand Boy to you..." Lt. Col John Sheppard
<<

TB-5380

Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:24 pm

Stitch wrote:
TB-5380 wrote:I officially started my Sheppard style costume !

You got them ok right?

Yes! ihave the patches and the earpiece are very cool !
Thanks Ryan !

Return to Costume & Prop Discussion Area