Major
Major

Awards: test award

Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:01 pm

Remberance - Majel Barrett Roddenberry: 1932-2008

Majel Barrett Roddenberry: 1932-2008
Thursday - Dec. 18th 2008

Sci-fi icon Majel Barrett Roddenberry dies at 76

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actress Majel Barrett Roddenberry, the widow of "Star Trek" creator Gene Roddenberry and a member of the show's cast, has died. She was 76.

Barrett Roddenberry died of leukemia on Thursday at her home in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Bel Air, her family said in a statement.

Her relationship with Gene Roddenberry, who died in 1991 after the two had been married for 22 years, earned Barrett Roddenberry the nickname "The First Lady of Star Trek."

She had roles in nearly every "Star Trek" television show and movie, playing Nurse Chapel in the original series and lending her voice to the starship's computer in nearly every incarnation of the saga.

She recently finished her role as the voice of the USS Enterprise computer in director J.J. Abrams' movie "Star Trek," which is due out in May, 2009, her family said.

Barrett Roddenberry is survived by her only son, Eugene "Rod" Roddenberry Jr. A public memorial is expected to be scheduled for sometime after Christmas.

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis: Editing by Bob Tourtellotte)
Matt Snyder
CO, 10th SFS - Tau'ri Furies
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Paradine

Captain
Captain

Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:24 pm

Re: Remberance - Majel Barrett Roddenberry: 1932-2008

I learned of Majel's passing last night from a friend who belongs to a STARFLEET chapter via phone. I was, of course, shocked and saddened. :(

Majel's contributions to the Star Trek universe have been documented and will be remembered for years to come. She kept promoting the ideals of the series and her husband's, along with watching their son Eugene Jr. (aka "Rod") grow up.

Majel also appeared as Lady Morella, widow of the Centauri Emperor Turhan, in the Babylon 5 episode "Point of No Return" (Season 3); a part written for her by series creator J. Michael Straczynski. Her character was bald.

Let's not forget Majel's work on Earth: Final Conflict, as an executive producer & cast member, and as an executive producer on Andromeda; two shows based on her late husband's writings.

With regards to Andromeda, I recall that she was responsible for getting Kevin Sorbo on board, as his previous series was coming to an end. He mentioned in the Season 3 Andromeda DVD boxed set that he'd been a Star Trek fan (thanks to his older brothers) and talked about getting Majel's call, offering the project to him. Kevin mentioned going to her house to talk about it and getting to sit behind Gene's desk in his office, which had to be very cool. 8)

I do thank Majel for making the call to Kevin... and letting him sit behind Gene's desk. :D Because of Andromeda, I found Dylan Hunt, the character that inspired me through difficult times, and became a fan of the man who brought him to life.

My thoughts & prayers are with Majel's son Rod and his family & friends. :( :cry:

"When the universe ends and the last star burns out, the only thing left will be love."
Dylan Hunt
"Dance of the Mayflies" (Season 2)
Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda

Diana
... a longtime Andromeda fan as well
Capt. Diana "Paradine" Hunt, USAF
Senior Medical Officer, USS Iliad
SG-Operations

"Doctor, this is why you brought me here."
Colonel John Sheppard

"That's what I'm talkin' about."
Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell