[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - Remembrance - Don S. Davis: 1942-2008
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Remembrance - Don S. Davis: 1942-2008

<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:31 pm

Remembrance - Don S. Davis: 1942-2008

Monday - June 30, 2008 | by Darren Sumner

With great sadness we must report that veteran actor Don S. Davis passed away on June 29, 2008. He was 65 years old.

Don co-starred on Stargate SG-1 for the show's first seven years, helping to launch the enduring science fiction franchise. Davis played Major General George Hammond, base commander and a father figure to many of the show's characters.

He is also well-known for his portrayal of Major Garland Briggs in Twin Peaks.

Off-screen, Don was beloved by the show's cast and crew. He departed the show in 2003 due to a medical condition that restricted his workload, but returned for several guest appearances on SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis in the following years. Don worked hard to improve his health, and continued to work both on screen and off until his death.

The following message was provided by Don's representative and his wife, Ruby Fleming-Davis:

"Dear Fans and Friends of Don S. Davis,

So many of you have been touched by not only the work and art of Don S. Davis, but by the man himself, who always took the time to be with you at the appearances he loved, that it is with a tremendous sense of loss I must share with you that Don passed away from a massive heart attack on Sunday morning, June 29th.

On behalf of his family and wife, Ruby, we thank you for your prayers and condolences. A family memorial where Don's ashes will be scattered in the ocean will take place in a few weeks, and should you wish to, please make a donation to the American Heart Association in Don's memory."

Born August 4, 1942 in Aurora, Missouri and raised there, Don received a Bachelor of Science degree with a double major in theater and art from Southwest Missouri State College in 1965. He then served three years on active duty in the United States Army, entering as a Second Lieutenant. He rose to the rank of Captain and was stationed in Korea before completing his required tour of active duty.

Upon leaving the army, Don began working toward a Master's degree in theater at Southern Illinois University, in Carbondale, Illinois, and received his Master's degree in 1970. He taught at the University of British Columbia for a decade before returning to SIU to complete his coursework for a PhD in theater, receiving the degree in 1982.

Don's list of film and television credits is lengthy, dating back to 1982. He met Stargate co-star Richard Dean Anderson on the set of MacGyver, where Don worked as a stunt double for actor Dana Elcar.

When production on Stargate SG-1 began in 1997, the producers tapped Davis to play the base commander -- originally written to be a by-the-book antagonist, but quickly softened by Don's own personality and experience.

In 2003 Don married his soul mate and the great love of his life, Ruby Fleming-Davis. The two have resided in British Columbia with their three dogs, Teto, Ming and Charley.

Don's off-screen career as an artist blossomed especially in the years since he left Stargate. A look at his Web site, DonSDavisArt.com, reveals his tremendous gifts in painting, drawing, and woodcarving.

Don's final Stargate appearance is in Stargate: Continuum, the SG-1 DVD movie that will be released July 29 in North America and August 18 in the United Kingdom. He will also appear in the forthcoming films "Vipers," "Woodshop," and "Far Cry," according to the Internet Movie Database.

Many fans of Don's work have had the opportunity to meet him in person, as he was also a regular face at fan conventions around the world. Fans learned that behind General Hammond was a Southern gentleman with a big heart, a no-nonsense attitude, and all the love and respect one could imagine.

GateWorld's editors visited with Don in 2006, where he talked at length about his career, his time on Stargate, and his feelings about his fellow cast members. That two-part video interview, "Intimate Portrait," may be found in the Interviews archive.

Services for Don S. Davis will be small and private, in both Vancouver and Los Angeles. His Web sites will be updated this week, and his obituary will be sent to the Vancouver Sun newspaper. In lieu of flowers or gifts, the family requests that donations be made to the American Heart Association in Don's memory.

Memories of Don can be shared at GateWorld Forum. Also watch the site this week for our full tribute to this stellar actor and man, beginning with a video tribute later today.

(Some material from DonSDavis.com and DonSDavisArt.com)
Matt Snyder
CO, 10th SFS - Tau'ri Furies
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Rhyus

Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:40 pm

Re: Remembrance - Don S. Davis: 1942-2008

It is a sad day for such a great man. He will be greatly missed.
Master Sergeant Ryan Taner
SG Hellfire, Team Member
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM
<<

Auggie

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:04 pm

A damned shame :(

Great character actor- he will be missed...
Colonel Wayne Augustson
Team Leader, SG-2
(Independent SG Group)
<<

Andromeda

Captain
Captain

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:31 pm

He was like my favorite character.
Capt. Elizabeth Bryans
SG-Shadow Hunters
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom

Well, excuse me for being a mere mortal. - Heero Yuy

<<

Paradine

Captain
Captain

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:05 am

Needless to say, I am very shocked & saddened by this news. :(

Don S. Davis was one of the first Stargate actors I met back in 2004 in Orlando (FL). My late father & I had just arrived at the hotel and I saw Don & his wife sitting on a bench outside, taking a break & chatting with a couple of fans. I went up to listen to the conversation and he got up to introduce himself to my father & me, as a gentleman would. I mentioned my father's military service and Don thanked him for it.

My last meeting with Don was in Atlanta (GA) in 2006, my first Dragon*Con. I shared a ride with him in the elevator at the Steak & Ale (downtown), mentioned the previous meeting in Orlando & told him of my father's passing the year before (2005). He offered condolences & gave me a hug.

I'll always remember him as a gentleman, as well as a talented actor and US Army veteran. I'll also remember hearing him sing in his guest appearance on Andromeda, in "The Eschatology of Our Present" (Season 5); as a man mourning the loss of a missing daughter. He told me in 2004 that he enjoyed working with the cast & crew of that series, including Kevin Sorbo & Lisa Ryder.

Godspeed, Hammond of Texas. Farewell, Avineri of Boyagen. Rest in peace, Don S. Davis. My father is waiting to see you again.
Capt. Diana "Paradine" Hunt, USAF
Senior Medical Officer, USS Iliad
SG-Operations

"Doctor, this is why you brought me here."
Colonel John Sheppard

"That's what I'm talkin' about."
Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell
<<

Hawk

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:01 am

:( I am shocked as well to hear of his passing. I truely enjoyed watching him portray General Hammond. He gave a certain degre of class to the character. He is going to be greatly missed.
Andy Moscato a.k.a. :Lt. Colonel Hawk Masters
CO, SG Hellfire
SG-SOCOM
"Til The Bitter End"
<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:38 am

He will be missed. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Davis a few years back and he was very gracious and open.
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color

<<

Gideon Deschain

Major
Major

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:48 am

I never met him but his passing touches me nonetheless. He seemed quite gracious and kind, I'm sure he'll be missed by all who knew him.
Maj. Gideon Deschain
CO, SG Shadow Hunters
SG-SOCOM

"Every meal a banquet, every paycheck a fortune, every formation a parade...I LOVE the Marine Corps!"
<<

ranger_1

Colonel
Colonel

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:52 pm

a few of us here had a private SG1 day of remembrance for Gen. Hammond, and the man Don Davis because he was military at one time, or so we were told.
they could not have found a better man to portray the character of Gen. Hammond, he will and is missed, we will remember.
we also remembered the character death of Dr Capt Fraser.
there were poppies placed at the local cenotaph.
Col. C. Fannon.
Call Sign: ranger_1
CO, SG-TRU
SG-SOCOM

Return to Remembrances