[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - RIP Johnny
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

RIP Johnny

<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:21 pm

RIP Johnny

Just wanted to let you all know that the co-founder and long-time leader of the group back when we were Stargate : Special Forces, Johnny Ikner, passed away suddenly today. He worked long and hard for this group and took us from a small team on the SGC.net boards to a strong, large group of fans and costumers who were even lucky enough to do con security for Creation. He loved costuming and fandom and was a kind and generous friend.

Johnny loved this group and it was a hard decision for him when he gave it up to move and take care of his ailing parents who have both since passed on. He gave up lots of fandom pursuits at that time and just recently had started reaching out to friends again wanting to get involved. I heard he had just contacted a few folks last week and attended the renn faire with a couple of them and had talked about going to ConCarolinas this year.

I don't know any details and have not talked to his wife myself as of yet but felt it approrpriate to pay tribute here. Johnny always was out to have fun but he worked hard too and if their was a charity that his fandom pursuits could help he was the first in line.

Farewell, my friend and Godspeed.
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Gideon Deschain

Major
Major

Post Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:04 am

Re: RIP Johnny

Thank you Lisa. I just wanted to contribute to what you started.

For those that never knew him, Johnny was indeed a caring and generous person, be it charities or helping his team. What we do here may be a game and a fiction, but Johnny's treatment of his friends and teammates was genuine and, along with many other great people (then and now), helped to set the tone for the family that we've all become.

I miss him already. As Lisa said, Godspeed.
Maj. Gideon Deschain
CO, SG Shadow Hunters
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom

"Every meal a banquet, every paycheck a fortune, every formation a parade...I LOVE the Marine Corps!"
<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:44 am

My family and I met Johnny during our first ever SG Weekend hosted by the old SSD team out of West Virginia. Meeting Johnny and getting to know him through all of our long phone calls was what made us decide to join SG-SOCOM and not SG-Command.net. It was his friendliness and willingness to help newcomers, etc that attracted us... he made you feel as part of the family. That is a feeling that I've never forgotten and tried to carry on. He will be missed by many of us.

Does anyone have info on his viewing or service, as I would like to send flwers from the group?
Matt Snyder
CO, 10th SFS - Tau'ri Furies

<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:23 pm

I haven't heard anything directly or through friends from his wife. His obit in his local paper was brief and stated he was being cremated and there would be no funeral services. Here is the link to the funeral home's guestbook.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/morgan ... bLoggedOut

Chris Burnside has set up a Memorial at a local Hooter's (Johnny's favorite restaurant) here in Raleigh for next Sunday, Dec. 2 at noon. Here is the link to the Facebook page Chris set up.

http://www.facebook.com/events/196038387199523/

Any friends or members of the group, from Johnny's time or now, are welcome to attend to pay tribute to his memory.
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color

<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:28 pm

Apologies for the bad link. Here's one that will work. I'm sure Johnny's wife, Tammy, will appreciate any kind words of remembrance and sympathy.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/mcdowe ... bLoggedOut
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color

Return to Remembrances