[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - Universe actors learned of cancellation via Twitter
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Universe actors learned of cancellation via Twitter

<<

Mother Hen

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:10 am

Universe actors learned of cancellation via Twitter

Thursday - December 16, 2010 | by Darren Sumner

Here’s an odd story that has come out as news has broken today of Syfy Channel‘s decision to cancel Stargate Universe (story): Many of the show’s cast didn’t learn about the fate of the show until their fans told them on Twitter.

“Crap. Just heard the news as well,” David Blue (Eli Wallace) posted on his Twitter account. “Apparently, nobody decided to tell us ahead of time. My rep heard it online. Seems they canceled SGU.”

“Look out for the back half [of Season Two," Blue added. "Really proud of it. Shame, because where they leave Eli is frakkin' cool. REALLY wanted to see where it went. But I appreciate all of your continuing support in all my future works, as well. Hope you'll come along for the ride!"

News of the cancellation first broke on Deadline.com, and was then posted by Syfy's Craig Engler via the network's Twitter account. Thanks to the instantaneous nature of Twitter, fans were offering consolation to tweeting cast members within seconds.

"To find out SGU is canceled first from my tweeps is the power of Twitter," Ming-Na (Camille Wray) wrote. "I'll miss my SGU family very much! Thank you for your love and support!"

"David Read from GateWorld called and informed me," stunt coordinator James "BamBam" Bamford wrote. "Moments later, it appears on Twitter ... Much LOVE to EVERYONE involved in the SG franchise. It has been an honor and pleasure working alongside you all."

Actor Peter Kelamis plays Dr. Adam Brody on Universe. He tweeted: “What can I say other than Thank You from the bottom of my Heart to all those who supported SGU.”

“What a wonderful SGU experience it was,” Lou Diamond Phillips (David Telford) tweeted. “Only sad I won’t see that wonderful cast & crew as often. But I know I made good friends for life!”

With the exception of Robert Carlyle and Louis Ferreira, all of the show’s main cast members are on Twitter, as are many supporting cast members and production team members. (Here’s our slightly out-of-date list.)

Other genre faces and friends of the Stargate crew reacted to the news on Twitter, as well. Stargate Atlantis‘s David Hewlett (Rodney McKay) wrote: “I thought the DMV was about as bad as it was going to get for me today … but I return to find out Syfy cancelled SGU!?” Hewlett puts in a guest appearance on SGU in the back half of the final season, which will air on Syfy this spring.

David’s sister Kate Hewlett (SGA‘s Jeannie Miller) wrote: “So … today marks the end of the Stargate franchise? Very sad indeed if that’s the case. SGU was a damn good show with a kick-ass cast.”

“Ack with SGU being canceled and delicious.com being shut down, today is grim!” wrote Felicia Day (Dr. Horrible, The Guild).

“Condolences to all my SGU buddies,” added Eureka‘s Neil Grayston.

“So bummed for my friends at SGU,” Ryan Robbins (Sanctuary) said. “Horrible news. I have no doubt that your next endeavors will be amazing. You guys are awesome. Much love.”

Former Stargate Atlantis writer/producer Martin Gero weighed in, as well, saying: “What a bummer. I thought the second season of SG:U was some of the best Stargate ever. Sad for that amazing team.”

Executive producer Carl Binder said that he learned the news via e-mail, about an hour before it hit Twitter. Calling it “like a punch in the gut,” he capped off the day’s developments nicely, so we’ll give him the final word: “Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. And to the cast and crew of SGU, thanks for making this the best job I’ve ever had.”
Some people are alive only because it's against the law to kill them
<<

jdorffner

Elite Forum Meber
Elite Forum Meber

Post Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:54 pm

Re: Universe actors learned of cancellation via Twitter

Hmmm....stars breaking up with other stars via text messages, and now this. Don't you love how technology have made it easier to get dumped or fired?
Joseph C Dorffner Jr
<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:41 am

What a way to get fired bummer. :?
Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters
We are the best and don't ever forget it!
General George S. Patton Jr.

<<

Daedalus

Major
Major

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:04 pm

It would suck to be the actors they were probably ready for the next season and this happens.
Bvt Maj. Yuriy Korolev
CO, S5 - Civil-Military Operations
10th SFS, Tau'ri Furies - Sqdn Member
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:47 pm

From what I've been able to gather from Twitter they were finishing up the last shooting today. Got to be tough to work in those conditions...knowing it's the end of the show.
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color
the only easy day was yesterday...

Return to Universe