[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - Mallozzi: Stargate Universe is a 5-year story
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mallozzi: Stargate Universe is a 5-year story

<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:26 pm

Mallozzi: Stargate Universe is a 5-year story

Saturday - November 27, 2010 | by Darren Sumner

The producers of Stargate Universe hope that the show will live on for five full seasons, according to executive producer Joseph Mallozzi. He told fans at his blog that the writers have five years’ worth of story, building up to the final pay-off and conclusion of SGU.

“There are a number of arcs and elements that will figure into the ultimate finale we have planned,” Mallozzi said. “Ideally, we’d get five years to tell the entire story in satisfactory fashion but, if it came down to it, we could pay it off over the course of a single season.”

Stargate Universe is the first show in the franchise to be conceived as a single, arc-based story with a beginning, middle, and end, rather than an episodic series that could go on as long as the ratings would support.

At this point, Mallozzi also said, the studio is not thinking about a back-up plan for finishing the story in another medium, should the show be canceled without sufficient warning to pay off the story. Right now “the plan is deliver the ending at the conclusion of Season Five,” he said.

The show’s ratings in its new Tuesday night time slot, however, may threaten that 5-year story. Last month Syfy Channel canceled Stargate‘s lead-out show Caprica for low ratings. Meanwhile WWE Smackdown and Sanctuary are thriving on Friday nights, blocking the likelihood of returning SGU to that night on the schedule.

The network is expected to announce its decision about SGU Season Three in December or January, following next week’s conclusion of the first half of Season Two. The second half should pick up in the spring, after production on Season Three would need to have already begun.

The show does benefit from a larger number of DVR-delayed and online viewers … which don’t mean much to the advertisers who pay to keep Syfy’s programming on the air.

“I think our audience is there but simply growing more diffuse,” Mallozzi said of the ratings. “It would terrific if the television industry found a way to catch up with the modern media’s technological advancements, find a way to make sure everyone is counted in those ratings — but barring a major miracle, I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

“The only alternative to ensuring a third season is to bring more viewers to Tuesday nights, be they SG-1 fans, Atlantis fans, or fans of Celebrity Circus.”

Stick with GateWorld for the very latest, and be sure to watch the final episode of the fall season this Tuesday night at 9 p.m. (8 Central)! Visit GateWorld’s Season Two episode guide to learn more about “Resurgence,” and be sure to visit Joe’s blog for more from the SGU writer/producer.
Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters
We are the best and don't ever forget it!
General George S. Patton Jr.

<<

Daedalus

Major
Major

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:11 am

Re: Mallozzi: Stargate Universe is a 5-year story

I think the only way that SGU will last 5 seasons is the must move it back to Friday nights and remove wrestiling from SYFI.
Bvt Maj. Yuriy Korolev
CO, S5 - Civil-Military Operations
10th SFS, Tau'ri Furies - Sqdn Member
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

fireball

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:38 am

how did wrestling even get considered for sci-fi channel? i'd much rather have sgu.
<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:03 am

I agree...I miss my syfy fridays... How in the world is wrestling sci fi??? Makes no sense to me at all.
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

Daedalus

Major
Major

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:27 am

The only reason wrestiling is on Syfi is for ratings. The smart thing to do is put SGU, Caprica, Sanctuary, and add V on Friday nights. They should move wrestling to another day for ratings and we will still get Syfi Fridays back.
Bvt Maj. Yuriy Korolev
CO, S5 - Civil-Military Operations
10th SFS, Tau'ri Furies - Sqdn Member
SG-SOCOM

<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:14 am

I saw this story this morning on Twitter and Facebook and was coming here to see if it got posted. Thanks, Jeff!

I LOVE that they went into it with a plan. I am a huge fan of story arc shows and having a definitive beginning, middle and end (like LOST) really pays off as long as you get the ratings to justify keeping the show going. That they can wrap it up in a single season is reassuring is it comes to that.

I do wish they had a way to gauge ratings based on the current tech. I usually watch it as it airs, but always DVR it and watch it several more times over the course of the week.

Moving it back to Fridays would make a lot of sense, especially since Sanctuary runs then. I don't watch Sanctuary, but with the Stargate tie-in of having Amanda Tapping in it, moving Universe to follow it would keep the SG fans interested.
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color

<<

Hawk

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:18 am

That sounds like a great idea Yuriy. Unfortunately that's exactly why they won't do it. Just like all of the other "big wigs" they really don't care about the "little people" they just care about what they think is a money maker. :-x
Andy Moscato a.k.a. :Lt. Colonel Hawk Masters
CO, SG Hellfire
SG-SOCOM
"Til The Bitter End"
<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:56 pm

The wrestling has to be on Friday..."Friday night smackdown" I think it's called and they had to agree to keep it on fridays... but it still sux... wrestling has no place on a sci fi network... IMO
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies

Return to Universe