[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - SGU Ep 9 'Visitations'
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

SGU Ep 9 'Visitations'

<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:41 am

SGU Ep 9 'Visitations'

For me, this was a kinda out there episode. I enjoyed it alot, though it was out of the blue. I'm not sure what i was expecting. While I liked it, for me this was a kind of fill in ep. It really has nothing to do, with anything thats been happening this season.

Because of is content, its an ep that can create alot of discussion, and polarize people, the age old argument of god or science. I almost didn't write this break down, this is a sensitive topic for a lot of people and I hope all who read this, or comment will make their remarks in relation to the show, and not pass judgment, or belittle other peoples beliefs.

I thought it was really well put together, but at the same time I thought perhaps they couldve delved a bit deeper. I felt sorry for Johannsen, it was her faith, her belief, that her baby was ok, that kept her going, only to find out that it was just a dream. The doctor who piloted the shuttle dies at the end, his faith shaken, thinking that it was aliens, not god, who brought them back to destiny, or was it? The bright light shown on the keno, could suggest something else couldn't it?

Rush made a very compelling argument for science on the bridge.

Overall, I think this ep showed that faith comes in all different shapes and forms, and they all work for the people concerned. We all draw strength from our beliefs. Our faith in whether it be gods, science, fate or destiny, helps us face the challenges and trials that life will throw at us.

What do you think this ep, was trying to tell us?
NAME:Rob Antilles
CALLSIGN:Shifty
ASSIGNMENT:Atlantis
Member of SG-7 (Australia)
<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:32 am

Re: SGU Ep 9 'Visitations'

Good review and I too am curious where they will go with the episode. It had a very compelling theme... faith vs religion... age old debate there and well told. I was curious how they were going to explain the re-appearance of the shuttle and the crew. All in all, while very different from past SG episodes it was while done and I liked the character growth and consistency. It was good to see many of the crew on the same page and coming together as a team finally.
Matt Snyder
CO, 10th SFS - Tau'ri Furies
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:58 am

This was a tear jerker for me. Maybe because I've lost a child before she was born, I liked that TJ had the thought that her baby girl was alive and well with friends. When she talked to the Doctor and he said he had no memory of her visit I still kept hoping the memory would return, that it did happen.

When the first girl started having pain and bleeding, I thought that if they started to remember their time on the planet that's what would happen...did anyone else think that? Even when the second guy remembered her dying months before...I thought they were given a second chance on life but if they remembered they died. Since he did too after he started to remember...

I find Chloe's acceptance about her fate very...sad. I cried when they talked about "it" happening. I'm still hoping something else happens there, I can't see them killing her off... can you?
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:34 pm

I agree Matt. It was really good to see them all working towards the same goal. It was very refreshing. I thought along the same lines as you Bec, when they started dying.

I wish whatever is happening to Chloe would happen, right now her character is doing nothing. Its almost like there looking for reasons to have her take part in the show, instead of her being an integral part of the show.
<<

Daedalus

Major
Major

Post Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:00 pm

I think this was a very go episode but I agree with Shifty it was out of the blue. It's sad that TJ lost her baby, the thought of her baby being alive kept her going. Also, I'm still curious what aliens built that planet.
Bvt Maj. Yuriy Korolev
CO, S5 - Civil-Military Operations
10th SFS, Tau'ri Furies - Sqdn Member
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom

<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:36 pm

I loved this episode and I think it had more to do with what has happened so far this season then we might expect at first glance. It seemed to me to tie in with the whole mission of the Destiny, to find a message about what happened at the beginning of everything. Except here we were finding out what happened at the end, in a way. I think that was what was going on when Rush and Caine were talking on the bridge.

As for TJ and her baby, I got a different vibe from it. I drew the conclusion that her vision was more realistic in that while her daughter was dead, all the people on the shuttle were too, so wherever their sould were her daughters was with them and safe. They didn't really tell it that way, but that's what I drew from it.

I absolutely LOVED the scene with Chloe and Ronald. I have not liked him for quite some time and this scene made him so human and real to me. It was a wonderful job by both actors and very compelling.

This was also the first episode where I actually didn't hate Young. He was doing his job but he was also affable and had some interactions with crew members that made me think he was opening himself up more to them. I think his character really needs that in order to survive and lead them.

While it did have an underlying theme of faith vs science, I think that was more on the surface really. We don't know what brought tehm on the shuttle back to Destiny and why. We don't know if the light was the aliens or some higher power. I think that leaving the meaning behind things more nebulous the writers did a good job of spurring on some real introspection for the crew and the audience.

Very well done.
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color

<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:27 am

I thought the scene between Greer and Chloe was really good too. I've always like Greer's take no crap from anyone attitude, and he tells it how it is without sugar coating it.

I also thought it was great to see the crew working together, instead of butting heads, i think they look very strong and extremely competent.

I disagree with you to a certain degree Logan, (please dont beat me to a pulp! lol :lol: ) I thought the focus of the show was how each character used their faith to deal with there situation. Kaine thought it was "god " that saved them, by answering his prayers, Rush used his faith in science to explain, the arrival of the shuttle, Greer because of his beliefs felt he needed Chloe's forgiveness for what he will have to do in the future, and it was Johannsens faith in some sort of miracle, that her baby was still alive to keep, herself going.

And just when Kaine accepts, that it was the aliens that sent them all back to the Destiny, the writers throw in the curve ball of the bright light, and as you noted, leaving the age old question of god or science open for us to discuss and interpret
<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:08 am

Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color

<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:14 pm

So does anybody have any idea who the aliens might be?

Could the be ahsended beings. They have the bright light thing going, and was it in an episode of Atlantis where sheppard spent that time with those people wanting to ahsend? Didn't they create that planet? Or was it just that area where there village was?
<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:27 am

I also have the sneaking suspicion that the episode was just to wrap up plot points and get them a shuttle. Which I hope isn't the case because that would just be lazy writing and make it a throwaway episode.
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color

Return to Universe