[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - Brad Wright: SG-1, Atlantis Fans Hurt Stargate Universe
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Brad Wright: SG-1, Atlantis Fans Hurt Stargate Universe

<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:24 pm

Brad Wright: SG-1, Atlantis Fans Hurt Stargate Universe

Nov 4th 2010 | Posted by michelle

In this opinion piece, SciFi Now author James Rundle notes that Universe needs fan support now more than ever, pointing out that its ratings have plummeted for Season 2. He also asks Stargate Atlantis fans to stop punishing Stargate Universe for not being Atlantis, quoting the actors’ disappointment over some lack of fan acceptance. He also quotes Brad Wright on the topic:

“I don’t think if we for any reason go away, it is an issue necessarily of the quality of the product that we’ve been making,” said executive producer and co-creator Brad Wright. “I think getting moved on the schedule has hurt us. And the fact that some of the fans that liked SG-1 and Atlantis were so angry that they have deliberately hurt us, which is unfortunate.”

What do you think? Has whatever negative fan reaction that exists been fueled primarily by Universe being new and not SG-1 or Atlantis? Has fandom negativity in turn affected Nielsen ratings? Feel free to sound off in the comments.
Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters
We are the best and don't ever forget it!
General George S. Patton Jr.

<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Re: Brad Wright: SG-1, Atlantis Fans Hurt Stargate Universe

Yes, the negativity from fans has hurt. This happens with any franchise show, especially at the beginning. People were freaked out when TNG came out because it wasn't classic Trek. Given time to prove itslef and stand on it's own, it thrived and is a fan favorite.

Of course, not everyone will like every spinoff. I adore DS9 and TNG, but am not as fond of Voyager and despised Enterprise.

I loved SG-1 but was never able to find my place with Atlantis and gave up on it about midway through it's run. I am loving Universe and have it set up on my DVR so I don't miss it.

The problem is while many will love a part of the franchise they won't love it all. Is it every single SG-1 fan's responsibility to make sure Universe is a success? I don't think so. If you like it, great. But not everyone will.
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:05 pm

Wow, and now they're blaming the fans. Maybe if the producers had listened to the fans in the first place and give us all a product which we could truly unite and rally behind things would be different. However, the Stargate franchise hit a major road block when SG-1 was cancelled, and even then, many SG-1 fans never truly rallied behind Atlantis... While SG-Universe may be good SciFi and a good show by itself, its very different far what people came to expect from Stargate itself. If the writers and producers would listen and start giving the fans what they want, then the ratings would be better.

Moving the timeslot from Friday to Tuesday was a bad decision, especially as it does not allow for a younger audience to view the show without interferring with bed times and school schedules. Remember, not everyone watching this show are adults and the over mature and dark nature is not resounding well with the younger audiences. While I love SciFi, frankly watching NCIS-LA during the same time slot makes for a better spent hour for many viewers. At least there are good guys/girls which you can support. Not a single episode of SGU has ended with anything resembling a good solid victory for the crew of the Destiny... and even with season 2 well underway, the control of the Destiny and what could be done with the story arc is lack-luster in many ways. Though as a dutiful fan of Stargate, I continue to watch and pray that the writers finally get what their fans truly want to see... maybe there's light somewhere at the end of the tunnel.... :?
Matt Snyder
CO, 10th SFS - Tau'ri Furies
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Mother Hen

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:58 pm

I overall generally agree with what both of y'all have said, and even as a "new" stargate fan (I only started catching up on SG-1 via DVD about 2 1/2 years ago!), I did give Universe its fair chance and watched it on my SyFy On Demand but I know I have difficulty keeping up with a show that continually put me to sleep...the storyline is good but the filming style is just too dark in nature for me to stay focused (i think). What I have caught of Atlantis I think I might like, but I haven't gotten there yet....according to my husband I"m not allowed to go there until I get there in my SG-1 series (I'm on Season 6 right now).

But like with any TV series, it has its bumps and problems and if it is truly meant to stick around, then it will. If not, then it happens...but I don't think it is entirely the "other stargate" fans' fault.
Some people are alive only because it's against the law to kill them
<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:01 am

i think the biggest problem universe suffers from are people comparing it to, sg1 and atlantis. its like the original bsg and the new one. they share the same name and the same basic story, but they are totally different shows and should be treated as such. The same goes for universe. it deserves its chance to be seen as a totally different entity, that shares a name, and the same basic back story(the stargate), only then will it be judged fairly.

In terminolgy more on my level, its like comparing macca's, and KFC. Yes they are both fast food joints but they sell totally different product. yet i can (and do, far to often) enjoy both chains. why cant people do the same with universe.

i guess what annoys me the most is how some people criticize the show. im a fan of sgu on facebook, and some of the comments are just too much. im not saying you have to like the show, but there are ways to voice your opinions. there are people putting there hearts and souls into doing the best that they can on universe, and i find it insulting to those people, when i read some of the garbage thats been written by "fans" .

ok..getting off high horse now..opps, i just fell off!

the whole stargate franchise is fantastic, from the original movie, right through to now. STARGATE ROCKS!!!!
NAME:Rob Antilles
CALLSIGN:Shifty
ASSIGNMENT:Atlantis
Member of SG-7 (Australia)

Return to Universe