[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - SGU Season Two opens with lackluster ratings
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

SGU Season Two opens with lackluster ratings

<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:38 pm

SGU Season Two opens with lackluster ratings

Wednesday - September 29, 2010 | by Darren Sumner

If Stargate Universe is going to reach new viewers and improve its audience share by moving to Tuesday nights, the show has a tall hill to climb.

“Intervention,” the Season Two premiere, drew approximately 1.175 million viewers to Syfy Channel at 9 p.m. last night, according to TV By the Numbers. That’s a 20 percent drop from the season finale, which aired in early June.

The Stargate franchise has historically added big numbers when DVR-delayed viewing is factored in — as much as 40 to 50 percent, some weeks (not to mention the heavy online viewing of the genre audience). Syfy is gambling that moving the show from the less-watched Friday night time slot to a night when more people around the country are watching television will help, both with the DVR time-shifting and by exposing the series to more people.

The network has had big success on Tuesday nights in the summer time. That’s when its two highest-rated original dramas — Warehouse 13 and Eureka — air. Warehouse‘s second season finale aired in the same time slot just one week ago, drawing 2.4 million viewers.

But the fall months are, of course, significantly more competitive. SGU is up against popular shows and brand new series on all major broadcast networks (which don’t program their Friday nights as aggressively), including:

Dancing With the Stars (ABC)
NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS)
The Biggest Loser (hour 2) (NBC)
Raising Hope / Running Wilde (FOX)
Life Unexpected (The CW)

Also in Stargate‘s disfavor is the absence of any lead-in or lead-out series to help draw viewers to the cable network. The previous week’s new episode will repeat at 8 p.m. starting next week; Caprica will join SGU at 10 p.m. next week.

“Intervention” is the lowest-rated episode of the series to date (unseating “Incursion, Part 1″). With the show’s current fan base following Universe to Tuesday nights, hopefully it can only build from here as awareness spreads.

New episodes of Stargate Universe continue next Tuesday with “Aftermath” at 9 p.m. (8 Central) on Syfy
Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters
We are the best and don't ever forget it!
General George S. Patton Jr.

<<

Daedalus

Major
Major

Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:26 pm

Re: SGU Season Two opens with lackluster ratings

I think if they didn't move SGU to Tuesdays they would have more veiwers, SGU is cutting in on other good shows and what happend to Syfi Fridays. I don't care what they show during the rest of the week but it was nice when all the Syfi shows were showen on one day.
Bvt Maj. Yuriy Korolev
CO, S5 - Civil-Military Operations
10th SFS, Tau'ri Furies - Sqdn Member
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

SG-PRC

Captain
Captain

Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:09 pm

I remember another show called 'Firefly' that had it's time changed around too. It was one of the best sci-fi shows TV had to offer but Fox found the formula of how timing can kill. Now Syfy seems to want to adopt their SOP too.

Anyway, I'll take bets that this is the last season of SGU before it is canceled and replaced by some fuzzy wazzy GDP (general dumb people) show like 'Ghost Roommates' or a 'Life after Wrestling' reality TV.

---------------------------------

On a totally different subject, I have been reading Bruce Campbell's book 'If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor'....a good and funny read about life, the film industry, making movies & TV and the politics of Hollyweird. I recommend that all give it a read if you can. You can find it on Amazon.com or eBay.com for a good price.
Capt. Anthony J. Tesoriero
Nu Sector Coordinator
CO, UNSGO
SGC

'AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM'
<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:44 am

Yeah, once a network begins toying with a show's time slots... the writing is one the walls. or at least that has been the trend over the years.
Matt Snyder
CO, 10th SFS - Tau'ri Furies

<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:10 pm

Yeah and as much as I hate to say it because I have tried so hard to like this show and to stay positive but it don't need no help sending it to an early demise.
Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters

<<

Gideon Deschain

Major
Major

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:51 am

lol, I guess I'm the only person that I know who REALLY likes SGU. I love it that the writing, pace, action, etc. are nothing like the other SG shows, it seems to me that they've made a true effort to be different.

Surviving in adversity is one of the finest and most valuable human traits and I think that SGU explores this aspect quite well.
Maj. Gideon Deschain
CO, SG Shadow Hunters
SG-SOCOM

"Every meal a banquet, every paycheck a fortune, every formation a parade...I LOVE the Marine Corps!"
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:04 am

It's all well & good to be different. While the idea may be to examine how the characters respond to adversity, the writers have only succeeded in really focusing on 3 characters squabbling like 5 year olds & 1 of those 3 whining like one too. There is so much more they could do - for instance developing some of the other characters as well as the exploratory nature of the pre-programmed mission of Destiny itself.

In fact the episodes featuring Chloe & Eli were a nice change of pace - it showed them as intelligent adults with valuable ideas for learning more about Destiny & the stop points programmed in its data base. Normally, they are ignored as being too young to know anything by the rest of the characters.

I still say there is much more & interesting stuff the writers could do with the exploratory premise of Destiny & the mix of characters that originally landed there. Plenty of stuff has been hinted at to make for some good stories - what was the need to drag in the Lucian Alliance for 3 or more episodes? We did need to lose Col. Telford somehow - he just plain annoyed me.

Chief Bugga
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!
<<

Hawk

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:05 am

8) While I don't actually "love" the show, I do think that it has potential to be really good. The fact that they have decided to change the shows time slot does not fair well for it's survival.
Andy Moscato a.k.a. :Lt. Colonel Hawk Masters
CO, SG Hellfire
SG-SOCOM
"Til The Bitter End"
<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:12 am

I'm with Gideon on this one. I think this show rocks and reminds me of Deep Space Nine in that it isn't afraid to get away from formula for a franchise.

I can understand why some wouldn't like it based on how different it is from the original and Atlantis. But that is a plus for me.
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color

<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:33 pm

I don't hate the show just do not think it is living up to its potential. To me its the Voyager of the franchise great characters great setting and it totally falls short of what it could be. The fact that it is indeed diffrent from the others is what I like. Deep Space Nine was my favorite Star Trek series it was real the characters were real and everything did not always work out in the end. I think Universe has the characters and the potential to be great but the story lines really need some work.
Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters

<<

SG-PRC

Captain
Captain

Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:48 am

Capt. Anthony J. Tesoriero
Nu Sector Coordinator
CO, UNSGO
SGC

'AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM'
<<

Gideon Deschain

Major
Major

Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:43 pm

I'm excited!
I love the potential that has been opened with this latest episode (and the bridge rocks) is amazing (and more has been mentioned about the Lucian Alliance)!
Perhaps the introduction of the Lucian Alliance is the beginning of some of the changes that some of you are looking for. If you're gonna change it or "spice it up", you have to start somewhere. Reminiscent of The Dominion, perhaps?
Maj. Gideon Deschain
CO, SG Shadow Hunters
SG-SOCOM

"Every meal a banquet, every paycheck a fortune, every formation a parade...I LOVE the Marine Corps!"
<<

Overlord

RM Captain
RM Captain

Post Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:43 am

WIth the advent of recording Cable TV shows through TimeWarner Cable, I can record SGU, Caprica, and NCIS and watch them at my leasure. Like, it is Saturday morning and I am watching SGU right now!! So unless the networks think that this is going to be a good time slot (wish is always a bad idea to go up against heavy hitting shows) they should consider to pick a lousy night for the other networks and really hipe up the shows. Does everyone remember when Babylon 5 was on Fox and then switch to SciFi when it WAS NOT SyFy? LOL

SSgt Thomas M Gorman
RM, UNSGO
Capt. Thomas M. Gorman
CO, UNSGO
Royal Marine Commandos, UNSGO
SGC

"He that ruleth over men must be just." II Samuel, XXIII
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:37 pm

We've had comments in this string & others about the schedule changes Sy Fy has made to the line up. I went to their web site & you can sign up to participate in viewer surveys which I did. Also, there is a feed back e-mail address listed: feedback@syfy.com. I also looked at some of the comments about one show & other viewers are posting definite opinions about the schedule changes along with opinions about the particular show they were viewing. Whether the powers that be at Sy Fy read the on line feedback is another question. Then again, who knows if they're given the e-mails from the feedback address. However, they do get the aggregate results of the surveys. Feedback comments may make their way to the script writers .... so it can't hurt to let them know what we think of SGU & other issues relating to Sy FY programming using these methods. And, there's always good old snail mail.

Chief Bugga
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!

Return to Universe