[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - Ark of Truth
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Ark of Truth

<<

Rhyus

Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:03 pm

Ark of Truth

Well, I went out today and purchased it at Best Buy. I came home, ate lunch and watched it. This is what the SG-1 Series Finale should have been, not what they put in its place. Suggestion to those that have not watched it yet, don't bother doing the movie with the Prelude. All the Prelude is is a series recap from when Ben Browder came on board to the last episode of the series. It is like 10 -15 minutes long and it is just short clips from the episodes, nothing new. If you really want to watch it, I suggest watching it after you watch the movie. You can view it from the Special Features section of the DVD.

It was a great addition to the SG-1 series, and yes, Amanda looks a hell of a lot better with her longer hair at the end of the movie than she does with her short hair that she had during the series.
Master Sergeant Ryan Taner
SG Hellfire, Team Member
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM
<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Ark of Truth

Hey there, just wanted to clarify the above... The season finale of season 10 was NEVER intended to be a series finale. They purposely ended S10 in a wide open manner. The first two DVD movies were already contracted and the producers knew that SG-1 would continue past season 10 via DVDs or possibly another network.

And yes, I have my copy and will be watching it in a few minutes. We'll also be doing a viewing at the SG Weekend in March.
Matt Snyder
CO, 10th SFS - Tau'ri Furies
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Rhyus

Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:31 pm

Yes, I do know that the last TV episode wasn't suppose to be the last thing that was done for SG-1. But, if you take it to the fact that it was the last ever "free" episode that was put on TV (Sci-Fi channel) and it was the last episode to end the TV series, then yes, it was the last every TV series episode that they had intended, at that time, to make. If you put in all the movies they had planned on doing, and possibly getting picked up by another channel, then no, it wasn't. But, even for a season finale, it was really that great of one.
SG Hellfire, Team Member
SG-SOCOM
<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:41 pm

I'll give you that the season 10 finale was weak, great episode, but a pour season finale. Yeah I do tend to agree with you there. BTW, Arc of Truth rocked... :D
Matt Snyder

<<

Rhyus

Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:52 pm

Yes, that it did. Now I can't wait to see the next one, Continnum (sp?). That one looks very interesting, especially after watching the Comic-Con special on the DVD.
SG Hellfire, Team Member
SG-SOCOM
<<

Auggie

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:15 pm

Got my copy of "Ark of Truth" today :D
Colonel Wayne Augustson
Team Leader, SG-2
(Independent SG Group)
<<

Donovich

Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:34 pm

Same here, just finished watching it. Overall we enjoyed it.
SSgt Michael Donovich, SG-2
<<

Hawk

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:50 am

8) I was finally able to pick up my copy yesterday. Myself and two other members of Hellfire all watched it last night. The concensus was unanamous: It was AWESOME! :D . As far as Amanda goes I personally think she was totally HOT!!! at the end of the movie...
Andy Moscato a.k.a. :Lt. Colonel Hawk Masters
CO, SG Hellfire
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
"Til The Bitter End"
<<

daremo

CIA
CIA

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:24 am

I thought it was good...as a two-hour series finally, but not really Wow! Feature-length movie good.

I like everything about it except the whole marketing gimmick that you had to buy the series finally. I thought it was inconsiderate to the fans who have stuck with the series since Showtime days.
SpA Daremo
<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:19 pm

True to a point, but the SciFi channel's parent company wasn't really concerned with the fans. At least we've been able to see SG-1 continue, even if not on the SciFi channel. If the DVDs do well, they are slatted to continue being released and who knows, maybe another network will see SG-1's continued success and consider picking it back up. Stranger things have happened.
Matt Snyder

<<

daremo

CIA
CIA

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:05 pm

SpA Daremo
<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:47 pm

Why would SciFI spend large amounts of money promoting a set of DVDs that its not producing? It wouldn't.. MGM is producing it and 20th Cent FOX is distributing it. The SciFi Channel is not part of the equation any more.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at with regards to your comments about "starting fresh" and "no experience needed." However, its no secret that the new management at the SciFi Channels HQ is not very adapt or supportive of SciFi, hence the cancellation of FarScape, as well as, BSG and the butchering of the channels programming. Come on, horror and wrestling on a SciFi channel??? WTF... There are enough SciFi movies and shows to run without needing to add wrestling and horror movies.

Check out these articles to get some background on the cancelling of SG-1 and MGM's desire to continue on...

Article from Gate World...

Stargate Cast Reactions To Cancelling

Click Image to Play!!!
Matt Snyder

<<

daremo

CIA
CIA

Post Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:51 pm

"Why would SciFI spend large amounts of money promoting a set of DVDs that its not producing? It wouldn't.. MGM is producing it and 20th Cent FOX is distributing it. The SciFi Channel is not part of the equation any more."

That would mean that MGM and/or Fox would be the ones paying for advertising.

"I'm not really sure what you're getting at with regards to your comments about "starting fresh" and "no experience needed."

if MGM/Fox were interested in marketing SG1 to a new audience, a reimaging or some other re-start would have probably be used so those who didn't watch the series would not be afraid of "being up to speed" on the story and would give it a try.

Since they didn't refresh/reimage/restart, their marketing goal wasn't new audiences, which leaves the current fan-base to sell to, which would have bought the movie anyway, without the need to be hooked with the real series finale. If they would have shown this on TV and started with Continuum, fan sales would have still been there and they could have expanded marketing to new audiences based on Continuum's "fresh new story."

"However, its no secret that the new management at the SciFi Channels HQ is not very adapt or supportive of SciFi, "

Can't argue with that one.

"hence the cancellation of FarScape, as well as, BSG"

Farscape ran its course, much like SG1 had. I really don't count those as cancelations per se. Much like Next Generation, DS9, and Voyager, they did there run and then ended.

If you want to talk about cancelations, what about Dresden Files. There was a show that made me think SCI-Fi hired too many people from FOX.

And BSG is not cancelled. Moore has repeatedly stated that he intended to do a 4 act/season story. Some stories end as they are written. Look what USA did to Babalyon 5, forcing more out of it that intended and really hurting the overall quality of the mythos.

"and the butchering of the channels programming. Come on, horror and wrestling on a SciFi channel??? WTF... There are enough SciFi movies and shows to run without needing to add wrestling and horror movies."

Nobody can argue that wrestling does not belong on Sci-Fi. I know of only one small group of Klingons who actually like it, but...well...anyway.
However, the trend into Monster films and horror does follow the historic trend of Sci-Fi in theatrical release. Early stuff was Aliens and Robots and Buck Rogers, and then came a long run of mutants and monsters flowed pretty much by the Star Wars revolution. I suspect to see Sci-fi run the same gambit, if it stays alive long enough.

To summerize, I think Arc was great, but should have been run as the season finale. The decision to DVD it as a test of the American Direct to DVD Market was cruel to the fans and was basicly done so MGM/FOX would have a hooked audience with little or no marketing cost.
They found a vehicle where they could not only use the built-in audience for sales, but for marketing--letting the fan-based internet force do their work for them. Actually, pretty smart, but maybe not as smart and definitely more "mean" to the fans than necessary.
SpA Daremo
<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:31 pm

Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color

<<

Auggie

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:32 pm

I watched "Ark of Truth" and I liked it very much. I look forward to "Continuum" (?) due out this summer :D
Colonel Wayne Augustson
Team Leader, SG-2
(Independent SG Group)
<<

Rhyus

Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:19 am

Just to point out, Babylon 5 was meant to be a 5 year story arc. Hence, in one way, the "5" in the title. That is all JMS had planned and that is all he was going to do for that series. It did end when it was suppose to end. He got a few movies out of it and a couple of short lived spin-offs, but he main goal was to do a 5 year story arc for Babylon 5. This comes straight from his own mouth. It had nothing to do with the studio putting an end to it.

As for horror on Sci-Fi. I could do without it, as well as the wrestling. The horror that is on Sci-Fi is more of the slasher type, with a monster thrown in to make it appear like it is sci-fi. Almost all of the movies are not Aliens quality of Sci-Fi horror.
SG Hellfire, Team Member
SG-SOCOM
<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:15 am

Daremo, not sure why this topic has been somewhat confrontation... But the focus for many of us has been celebrating the continuance of SG-1 whether its on the SciFi channel or direct to DVDs. The SciFi network cancelled SG-1, would you have preferred that the DVDs never been released? At least the fans got involved and helped show MGM that another vehicle was viable for the continuation of SG-1. These DVDs were meant to support the current fan base and to the best of my knowledge never aimed at trying to attract a new audience.

As for FarScape... yes it got cancelled early and there's enough web articles out there covering it. It was only after an expensive fan basd campaign, that SciFi agreed to do the movie to wrap up the series.

As for Babylon 5, it was meant to be a 5 year story arc, with potential spin offs.. However, it was almost cancelled after season 3. The show effectively wrapped up all major plotlines in Season 4, as they again did not get approval for season 5 till the 11th hour. As a result, season 5, did not have Claudia Christian... as she accepted another role, as at that time, season 5 did not look like it would happen. In the end, most people who followed B5, view the 5th season as its worst, as much of the story lines were filler or just soley based around the upcoming Telepath War. The spin off show Crusade was cancelled after the network wanted to change too many things and the show's creator refused to give in. One such example was the mid-season change in uniforms... which was actually commented on by the characters in one episode.

BSG is most certainly being cancelled, no matter what light people may be shining on it. The SciFi network has been changing its time slot, splitting the series up, etc. If you search around, you'll fid the articles which show the disconnect between what SciFi wants from BSG vs what the show's creators are willing to do. The creators have fought to stay true to their vision and as such are willing ending the show on a positive note.

All in all, I was happy that Arc of Truth was released and I do think that the season 10 finale was weak... However, the fans have gotten what they wanted and we are seeing a continuation of SG-1 and a renewed effort in the network's suport of SG-Atlantis.
Matt Snyder

<<

Auggie

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:00 pm

Amen to that, General! :D
Colonel Wayne Augustson
Team Leader, SG-2
(Independent SG Group)
<<

seawolf

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:27 am

Ok finally watched it and throughly enjoyed it. Awesome! I did have a few comments about it that i posted on my web site (and copied here)

OK, so they finished off the Ori once and for all. But how... through an ancient device known as the Ark of Truth. What does it do? It makes people see the truth of what they believe. Is that hokey? Well... I can see where some people could say it is, but I liked the overall movie. The Ark could have been done differently though... for example...

It has already been established that the Ori are sapping off the people that worship them. The more people that worship them, the more powerful they would get. This could be defined as a kind of psychic or mental symbiosis. The more the worship, the more they are drawn into it and can't be broken from the connection. The Ark of Truth could be that key to break that connection all at once, thus completely severing the Ori power.

At least that's they way I would have done it.

Anyway, the concept was OK, but not my favorite part of the film. They had several stories going and I liked seeing them split it all up and include a lot of the cast.

I look forward to Continuum, although I am concerned that it is simply an extended episode. What they need to do is establish a new enemy and have a trilogy planned, but that's just me, I guess. And they do not have to wipe out the enemy this time. How about beat them to the point that they would rather be our ally, or something like that. We've just about lost all our other allies at this point.

Oh well, I guess that's why I am just a programmer and they are writers.

Ron
Lt. Ron McClung
CO, Gate City Sqdn
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SG-SOCOM

---------------------------------------
MACE
http://www.justusproductions.com

ConCarolinas
http://www.concarolinas.org/

Seawolf's Den
http://www.seawolfsden.net/
<<

seawolf

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:33 am

As for the Farscape/B5/other show discussions, from what I know, Matt is right on the money. I was a HUGE B5 and Farscape fan and have stayed connected with it. BSG is on its way out, with supposed 20 episodes order but only 10 filmed due to the writers strike. We'll see if they get the other 10 done. From what I have heard, its still on the bubble.

Now all SciFi has to do is pick up Jericho, and I'd be happy :-) Or maybe USA Channel.

Anyway, onward to Continuum...

Ron
Lt. Ron McClung
CO, Gate City Sqdn
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SG-SOCOM

---------------------------------------
MACE
http://www.justusproductions.com

ConCarolinas
http://www.concarolinas.org/

Seawolf's Den