FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Burning your bridges?

<<

daremo

CIA
CIA

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:43 am

Burning your bridges?

So, this might be a little deeper than the usual chat I see around here, but I am a veteran of the SWvsST wars, a comic book reader and a writer, so I tend to look at things with a skewed double vision of pretending it is all real while trying to find out where the writers are going with a particular plot point.

First off - Rowan and Tel'c were great in the last episode. Rowan really proved himself to me in the episode. I had been running hot and cold with him...Ah, but that is another topic.

The question for discussion is the destruction of the Gate bridge midway station.

Do you think this means something? Or will it be fixed in a month or so and it will be business as usual?
SpA Daremo
<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards: test award

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:02 pm

Re: Burning your bridges?

Hmm, my initial reaction is that the destruction of the Midway Station is a plot function to make the Pegasus galaxy once again more remote and harder to support from the SGC back on Earth. The next two or three shows should help prove or disprove that theory. If they simply rebuild it so quickly, then it takes away from destroying it in the first place, instead of being able to simply disarm the auto-destruct with 1-2 seconds left on the countdown.
Matt Snyder
CO, 10th SFS - Tau'ri Furies
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Paradine

Captain
Captain

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:06 pm

From what I've heard, it seems like the producers wanted to return a feeling of isolationism to the series, which was evident in the first two seasons.
Capt. Diana "Paradine" Hunt, USAF
Senior Medical Officer, USS Iliad
SG-Operations

"Doctor, this is why you brought me here."
Colonel John Sheppard

"That's what I'm talkin' about."
Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell
<<

daremo

CIA
CIA

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:25 pm

Paradine wrote:From what I've heard, it seems like the producers wanted to return a feeling of isolationism to the series, which was evident in the first two seasons.

Well, part of me feels that might be a good thing, however, I think the separation from earth might be one of those things that hurts SGA. Beside the point that "earth" missions seem even more forced and contrived than they did on SG1, I think one of the biggest differences in SG1 and A is that in SG1, there was a "on the front lines" or "we are the line in the sand" feeling.

SGC was protecting the Earth from invaders and often had to stop them here.

In Atlantis, the writers first started to try to create some of this with the need to hide Atlantis and keep Earth, and our galaxy full of yummy human burgers, secret from the wraith.

This episode, specifically, capitalized on that "Must save the earth" theme, but by blowing up the midway station, it is almost like they are saying, "Yeah, we used that theme, but it was a one-time deal." Almost.

As for going back to the "isolation" theme, I personally think that is as tired as having to find a new ZPM (or way to bypass the lack there of) every other day. I don't know if you can go back.
SpA Daremo
<<

seawolf

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:36 pm

daremo wrote:As for going back to the "isolation" theme, I personally think that is as tired as having to find a new ZPM (or way to bypass the lack there of) every other day. I don't know if you can go back.

I think it more has to do with the end of SG-1 series and the fact that it was easier to call up the SGC cast (General Landry, Srgt. Walter, other SG teams) when SG-1 was on than it will be in the 5th season. I think they want to make the trips to the SGC fewer and far between so they don't have to keep antoher cast on contract longer than they need to.

That's the way I read it. I could be wrong.

Ron
Lt. Ron McClung
CO, Gate City Sqdn
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SG-SOCOM

---------------------------------------
MACE
http://www.justusproductions.com

ConCarolinas
http://www.concarolinas.org/

Seawolf's Den
http://www.seawolfsden.net/