FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Children of the Gods -Extended

<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:27 am

Children of the Gods -Extended

Have anyone seen the extended version of the pilot that came out a few years ago yet? I recently bought it but haven't gotten around to watch it yet.
NAME: ... that new guy Dr Jackson dragged in.
CALLSIGN: DustyBadger
ASSIGNMENT: ... dont know yet, but it seems to have something to do with those early Asgardian artefacts SG1 found on Nifelheim.

I hope you like Guinness, sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for... food.
Col. Jack O'Neill. Lost City, part 1.
<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:14 pm

Re: Children of the Gods -Extended

Didn't realize there was an extended version. You'll have to let us know how it differs, I'm always curious about that kind of stuff. Thanks.
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:32 pm

Re: Children of the Gods -recut

It seems I have fared with untruths. The new version of Children ... is not in any way "extended", just re-cut. I have not yet seen it, but this is what Wikipedia has to say:

The Stargate SG-1 pilot episode ("Children of the Gods") was re-cut as a third Stargate SG-1 direct-to-DVD special and released on July 21, 2009 in 16:9 widescreen format. A few months before its release, executive producer Brad Wright announced it was to have with brand new visual effects and scenes not previously included in the television version. The beginning was to be slightly altered, a new scene added, and the nudity scene taken out to make this episode suitable for children, with the final movie roughly seven minutes shorter than the original episode. Joel Goldsmith would re-score the music.[3] Wright stated:[6]

“ "There is new material, but most of the new material is visual effects or scenes that have been cut. It is tighter. It is significantly tighter. ... The editing pattern is different, and therefore the performances are different. It's a different movie." ”
After being edited into film format it was rated PG.
ASSIGNMENT: ... dont know yet, but it seems to have something to do with those early Asgardian artefacts SG1 found on Nifelheim.

<<

Hibson

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:32 pm

Well, shoot! That's the version *PG* I should've shown my mother, she hates Stargate based on off of the whole "half-naked with symbiote" scene and I have yet to convince her to give it another shot! :(
Hibson
Second Lieutenant, United States Army
SG-22 - SEALs (SAR/HR expert)
Stargate Command
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
<<

JAltermott

Major
Major

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:35 pm

I really enjoyed the remastered version of Children of the Gods. Better flow and the absence of the nude scenes make it feel closer to the SG-1 we all love.

The remastered effects are nice too, especially the replacement of the odd-glider that transports Apophis and Sha're to the gate on Abydos with a teltak. Apophis' city on Abydos is also re-done to look more bigger and more impressive.

Other changes include Chris Judge re-recording all of his lines to better fit the sound of his characterization later in the series. A few scenes are moved around to help with the story flow and the scenes where Kowalski is possessed by the larval Goauld is removed entirely, since the remastered episode was designed to be a stand-alone movie and as such there was no need for a lead-in the the next episode. The soundtrack is greatly improved and the new score matches the scenes better than the re-used movie score did.

Hope this helps.
John Altermott
Call Sign: "Flat Top" (JAltermott)
Maj., United States Air Force
CO, S2- Intelligence
SG-22 - SEALs (Team Pilot) - Fireteam Bravo
USS ILIAD (TDY) - Stargate Command
<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:49 am

Anyone know why originally they went with a more adult "nude scenes" episode then changed the format to more PG in future episodes? It was still on Showtime for several years so it didn't need to be changed. I'm not sure the nudity was ever needed...just curious why they would start out that way then change.
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:06 am

I vaguely remember someone saying that it was an attempt to make sure it wasn't perceived as a kids show, as we all know SF usually are. Or to boost ratings. I wonder if there is some commentary tracks for that episode?

Or maybe they were a bit before their time. An HBO remake would be ... interesting.

<<

JAltermott

Major
Major

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:57 pm

Zathras wrote:Anyone know why originally they went with a more adult "nude scenes" episode then changed the format to more PG in future episodes? It was still on Showtime for several years so it didn't need to be changed. I'm not sure the nudity was ever needed...just curious why they would start out that way then change.

The following is from Movie-Censorship.com:
"Showtime also enforced their demands about the content of the pilot. The best-known example is the infamous 'Full Frontal Nudity Scene', which of course was NOT designed by the creators like this. But Showtime wanted a higher rating for its premiere to draw interest of the younger adults as well."
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=930880
John Altermott
Call Sign: "Flat Top" (JAltermott)
Maj., United States Air Force
CO, S2- Intelligence
SG-22 - SEALs (Team Pilot) - Fireteam Bravo
USS ILIAD (TDY) - Stargate Command
<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:34 am

thank you John... so it was just an attention grabber. It really wasn't needed (I don't mind nudity at all but it's not needed in stargate)
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:52 pm

That is good to know. Compared to the very innocent tone the rest of the show has the nudity in the pilot feels very out of place.

<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:54 am

Stargate worked just fine as they ran it after the pilot. It didn't need to be adult themed by any means; besides, this way we can share it w/the young ones without worry.
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM
<<

Hibson

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:57 am

Now I feel so stupid for having shown my mother the pilot!!! Ugh, can't even talk to her about SG thanks to the nudity :( Maybe SOMEDAY I'll get her to watch another episode, any suggestions on nice, tame ones :P? She liked Xena though, go figure! "It's campy, as you said...but interesting that YOU like it." Opinionated, is she.
Hibson
Second Lieutenant, United States Army
SG-22 - SEALs (SAR/HR expert)
Stargate Command
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:28 pm

I finally managed to watch the re cut version. I cant say I noticed much differences, except the lack of nudity that is. But it was many years ago I watched the pilot so perhaps I need to rewatch the first version as well...

They did look very young though. And there is a short extra feature that have some clips of the original. Like Chris Judges original and re-recorded voice, for example. That was a huge difference.

Return to SG-1 & Movies