<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Mon May 16, 2011 7:32 pm

SG-1 movie would have revealed the Stargate

SG-1 movie would have revealed the Stargate
Sunday - May 15, 2011 | by Darren Sumner

The third Stargate SG-1 movie would have finally revealed the top-secret Stargate program to the world, Stargate executive producer Joseph Mallozzi revealed on his blog this week.

“This subject (the revelation and its many implications) would have formed the plot for the planned SG-1 movie, Stargate: Revolution,” Mallozzi said.

Written with the working title Stargate: Revolution, the movie was to heavily feature Richard Dean Anderson’s character Jack O’Neill.

The script was written by Brad Wright and Carl Binder, and of the possible Stargate projects bandied about over the past three years it came the closest to seeing the light of day. Wright was very confident in an April 2009 interview with GateWorld that they would be filming in the fall, and also said as much during his stage appearance at the official Stargate convention in Vancouver that month.

“I had a story idea that really worked with O’Neill,” Wright said. “And it’s not just his character, by any means. It’s a Stargate story that brings O’Neill back in a big way.”

Anderson confirmed on his Web site sooner thereafter that MGM had indicated its plans to go ahead with the movie. But when the DVD market continued to soften and the studio fell further into debt, plans were again put on hold.

Wright had previously told GateWorld that revealing the Stargate to the general public would be a major event in the fictional world and for the franchise — certainly a “revolution” — and was big enough that he wanted to reserve it for a movie. It was an idea that the writers enjoyed toying with in the television series, including the alternate-timeline episode “2010.” In that episode, Earth’s Stargate was kept in a public “space terminal” and available to the public for travel to other, allied worlds.

Mallozzi said that, even after those shows’ sets were taken down and key pieces auctioned off, he still held out hope that Revolution and the Atlantis movie (titled Stargate: Extinction) might still be made. (Wright announced last month that both were effectively shelved for good.)

“I still held out hope for both movies because, in the case of Stargate: Revolution, the lionshare of the action would have been off-world and ship-based while, in the case of Stargate: Extinction, although there was some action on Atlantis itself (eminently achievable through the magic of VFX), much of the story takes place on Earth and off-world,” he explained.

Mallozzi will give his blog readers new insights into the story of Extinction (which he co-wrote with Paul Mullie) next week.

MGM owns the completed scripts for both movies. At this point, there is no indication from the studio as to whether fans might eventually see these stories in the form of a novel, comic book, or in another medium. Keep your browser locked on GateWorld for the latest!
Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters
We are the best and don't ever forget it!
General George S. Patton Jr.

<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards: test award

Post Mon May 16, 2011 10:41 pm

Re: SG-1 movie would have revealed the Stargate

I can't believe that they are axing these projects, yet have spent so much on the BSG mini-series, movie and now launching Blood & Chrome, not mention other less deserving series and projects.
Matt Snyder
CO, 10th SFS - Tau'ri Furies
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Mon May 16, 2011 10:43 pm

I can't believe they sold the gate, what were they thinking :shock: Oh well there is still animation. Maybe. I hope.
Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters
We are the best and don't ever forget it!
General George S. Patton Jr.

<<

kilo11

Ensign - USN
Ensign - USN

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:38 pm

forgive the late post...curse of being new.

this is very disappointing that they would shelve these scripts. I really liked watching Continuum and Ark of Truth. I felt it put a nice cap on the stories I felt were incomplete.
Lt Cdr Kevin Byrnes
CO, SG-22(SEALs)/Alpha Team
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM
<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:39 pm

Doran Kev wrote:I can't believe they sold the gate, what were they thinking :shock: Oh well there is still animation. Maybe. I hope.

I'm sure that the plans for the gate still exist in some file cabinet somewhere, if not ,there are hours of footage that show the gate that they could use as reference to rebuild it ( or borrow it back from whoever bought it). Look what Star Trek did with the bridge from the original Enterprise on the holodeck. If MGM changes it's mind, the loss of the sets and props should not be a problem 'cause someone always remembers.
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
CO:SG- Prometheus
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
CO:Team Prometheus Airsoft
Owner: Symweap Airsoft
" Beware Merlin, for he knows all things by the Devil's craft "
<<

Overlord

RM Captain
RM Captain

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:50 pm

merlin wrote: I'm sure that the plans for the gate still exist in some file cabinet somewhere, if not ,there are hours of footage that show the gate that they could use as reference to rebuild it ( or borrow it back from whoever bought it). Look what Star Trek did with the bridge from the original Enterprise on the holodeck. If MGM changes it's mind, the loss of the sets and props should not be a problem 'cause someone always remembers.

... or there are a lot of fans who would be willing to "loan" them their props for the movie. (might even be constructed better too.) LOL
Capt. Thomas M. Gorman
CO, UNSGO
Royal Marine Commandos, UNSGO
SGC

"He that ruleth over men must be just." II Samuel, XXIII
<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:09 pm

Overlord wrote:
merlin wrote: I'm sure that the plans for the gate still exist in some file cabinet somewhere, if not ,there are hours of footage that show the gate that they could use as reference to rebuild it ( or borrow it back from whoever bought it). Look what Star Trek did with the bridge from the original Enterprise on the holodeck. If MGM changes it's mind, the loss of the sets and props should not be a problem 'cause someone always remembers.

... or there are a lot of fans who would be willing to "loan" them their props for the movie. (might even be constructed better too.) LOL

That's very true, but who would be willing to let someone else handle their prized fan made props? They could be used as a template to remake he originals, the prop depts. do have the facilities to turn out greater numbers than fans do. 8) When the movie is done the studio could just sell them again :cry:
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
SG-SOCOM
<<

Overlord

RM Captain
RM Captain

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:18 pm

merlin wrote:That's very true, but who would be willing to let someone else handle their prized fan made props? They could be used as a template to remake he originals, the prop depts. do have the facilities to turn out greater numbers than fans do. 8) When the movie is done the studio could just sell them again :cry:

True... SO true! What a wonderful world we live in. LOL
Capt. Thomas M. Gorman
CO, UNSGO
Royal Marine Commandos, UNSGO
SGC

"He that ruleth over men must be just." II Samuel, XXIII
<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:08 pm

Overlord wrote:
merlin wrote:That's very true, but who would be willing to let someone else handle their prized fan made props? They could be used as a template to remake he originals, the prop depts. do have the facilities to turn out greater numbers than fans do. 8) When the movie is done the studio could just sell them again :cry:

True... SO true! What a wonderful world we live in. LOL

I think nothing sums it up better than this line from Mel Brooks' movie "Spaceballs"......"will we ever see each other again?......Who knows, God willing maybe in Spaceballs 2- the search for more money"
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
SG-SOCOM
<<

Kendra_SG

Captain
Captain

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Yeah, never let your prize possions go to a set. EVER! If it's irreplaceable, don't give to a props person. But yeah, let them have the plans and such (copies). They won't like you as much, though :) .

I did art department on a film once. It's fun, but yeah, you have to be careful of what you let a film company use.
Capt.Tabitha
Epsilon Sector Coordinator
BC-304 "Iliad" crewmenber
SGC
<<

StarGator1

General Forum Member
General Forum Member

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:40 pm

Seems like lately MGM has pulled itself out of trouble and is green-lighting new projects. With any luck they'll start kicking around the idea of a new Stargate movie or series some time in the next couple of years.
Capt. Michael Moreau
CO, SG-21

Return to SG-1 & Movies