<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:11 pm

Jason Momoa cast as Conan the Barbarian

Jason Momoa cast as Conan the Barbarian
Friday - January 22, 2010 | by Kevin Coll

It’s always nice to see actors we come to know and love from our favorite series move on to bigger and sometimes better things. For Jason Momoa, the actor known to many as Stargate Atlantis’s Ronon Dex will soon be known to them as Conan. Last week his name was attached to the lead role in the remake of the popular pulp fantasy character (story).

Citing an anonymous source, Deadline Hollywood Daily is now reporting that Momoa has been officially cast to play the barbarian in the film directed by Marcus Nispel. The Hawaiian native and former model will now be the second actor to play the role on the big-screen, after Arnold Schwarzenegger started his lauded film career in the role.

The race was rumored to be between Momoa and Twilight actor Kellen Lutz, but apparently Momoa was won over by director Marcus Nispel and then won over the studio by filming a few scenes wielding a giant sword (something that Stargate fans are used to seeing). The film is reportedly starting production on March 15, with filming to take place in Bulgaria.

Being the last of his tribe and having to watch his father die a cruel death, Conan is determined to avenge his peoples slaughter by killing all those who led the attack on the Cimmerians, including the all-powerful Khalar Singh. He is prepared to die in order to accomplish his goal. What Conan did not expect, was to find a reason to live.

Momoa stands at 6-feet 4-inches, so he has the height to fit the part. Seeing him as Ronon on Stargate Atlantis, he also has a lot of similar qualities such as wielding a sword, the hunger to kill people, and a real brooding physicality that is perfect for the role — not to mention he can look like he has been through some battles!
Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters
We are the best and don't ever forget it!
General George S. Patton Jr.

<<

Daedalus

Major
Major

Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Jason Momoa cast as Conan the Barbarian

It's kind of nice to see Jason Momoa having a role in somthing other then stargate.
Bvt Maj. Yuriy Korolev
CO, S5 - Civil-Military Operations
10th SFS, Tau'ri Furies - Sqdn Member
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

DANJSG1FAN

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:02 pm

Meeting him at Shore Leave, I can say "Good for him!" He's a very good looking man. I wonder how the Conan story line might go, cause all I can see is Arnold and his gigantic muscles.
Nona
<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Mon May 10, 2010 10:24 pm

First Look At Jason Momoa As Conan!
May 10, 2010 | By George 'El Guapo' Roush

The Latino Review has posted the first pictures of Jason Momoa as Conan. The pictures are not the best quality but still give you an idea. Check the link above out.
Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters

<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:33 pm

Momoa Wraps Filming of "Conan" Feature
Jun 21st 2010 | Posted by DeeKayP

Jason Momoa as Conan (Nu Boyana Film Studios)
Stargate star Jason Momoa has wrapped the filming of the new Conan movie in Bulgaria! And to top off this announcement, here’s an official image of him in the role!

The movie is directed by Marcus Nispel and goes back to the original version of Conan the Barbarian established by his creator Robert E. Howard in his books. It now enters post-production and will be ready for release during the summer of 2011. According to IMDb, Conan is “the tale of Conan the Cimmerian and his adventures across the continent of Hyboria on a quest to avenge the murder of his father and the slaughter of his village.”

Momoa’s next project, as far as we know, is to reshoot scenes from the pilot of HBO’s new series Game of Thrones in Belfast due to the recasting of Daenerys Targaryen, Momoa’s character Khal Drogo’s wife in the story.
Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters

<<

Daedalus

Major
Major

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:14 pm

Jason Momoa looks very different then he did on Stargate. I look forward to seeing the new movie.
Bvt Maj. Yuriy Korolev
CO, S5 - Civil-Military Operations
10th SFS, Tau'ri Furies - Sqdn Member
SG-SOCOM
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Hawk

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:00 am

I wish Jason the best of luck. I think he has the rough look for the part, but not the body type that has been associated with the character...
Andy Moscato a.k.a. :Lt. Colonel Hawk Masters
CO, SG Hellfire
SG-SOCOM
"Til The Bitter End"
<<

Auggie

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:25 am

I'm a big Conan fan as well as a Jason Momoa fan, so I'm willing to give this flick a chance!
Colonel Wayne Augustson
Team Leader, SG-2
(Independent SG Group)

Return to Atlantis Project