FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Non US personnel in the SG-shows

<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:45 am

Non US personnel in the SG-shows

I recently got into a discussion about the presence of non US personnel on the SG-shows and their uniform praxis. So what do we know about that?
As I remember it:

SG1
The SG-teams are originally US, the Russians start their own Gate-program and uses their own uniforms of course. SG-command and the Russians have a kind of exhange program where different units "intern" with the other nation, under the host countrys command, but using their own uniforms still. After the Gate Alliance Treaty is signed, all signatory countrys are supposed to contribute to the maintainence of the SG-program. At least in SG-fandom this is taken as a chance to insert units from other contrys, but do this happen "on screen"?

Atlantis
With the atlantis-project we get an internationall participation and the expedition has its own uniform standards overriding national ones. But there seems to be some Marie units stationed there, or perhaps they only go there if they are needed, and they seem to use the ordinary national uniform (?)

Universe
?

I've mostly watched SG1, no Universe, and Atlantis was quite some tima ago so I could be remembering things wrong. Do any other units show up in any of the shows? Im also unsure on how the situation works in Atlantis with the Marines. I have had a Swedish soldier pointed out to me in Atlantis though. Yay!
NAME: ... that new guy Dr Jackson dragged in.
CALLSIGN: DustyBadger
ASSIGNMENT: ... dont know yet, but it seems to have something to do with those early Asgardian artefacts SG1 found on Nifelheim.

I hope you like Guinness, sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for... food.
Col. Jack O'Neill. Lost City, part 1.
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:36 am

Re: Non US personnel in the SG-shows

Sounds like review time.

Dusty you are correct that when military from other countries appeared as a cohesive unit or an individual commander they wore the uniform of their own military branch.

Atlantis: Yes, the Marines did make occasional appearances & wore a unit uniform but I don't recall whether it was SG specific or unit specific. The nod to other countries was the flag on the left shoulder of the uniform jacket. As Atlantis was meant to be primarily civilian, the uniforms do look a bit less military but provide a means of distinguishing Atlantis personnel from others (including personnel from the BC-304s that would visit).

Universe: Again a mostly civilian group with military for security & defense as necessary. Most of the international personnel were among the civilians with the military being primarily US as I recall.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:34 am

Do we know if there were any other country represented, except the Russians, in SG1?
NAME: ... that new guy Dr Jackson dragged in.
CALLSIGN: DustyBadger
ASSIGNMENT: ... dont know yet, but it seems to have something to do with those early Asgardian artefacts SG1 found on Nifelheim.

I hope you like Guinness, sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for... food.
Col. Jack O'Neill. Lost City, part 1.
<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:29 pm

The Russians were the only non US unit that I can remember.
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM

Return to Stargate Discussion Area