[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - World War Z
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

World War Z

<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:42 pm

World War Z

I was able to watch World War Z the other night. I'm not normally into zombie stuff, but between the trailer & some chatting with a co-worker it seemed like something to check out. It isn't what I would call seriously thought provoking, but it's certainly a good thrill ride.

Not to SPOIL anything, but I have to say that the part of the movie that takes place in Israel is probably my favorite. The action combined with the scenery of that ancient land just seemed to work well for me. I think it was the cinema photography that helped sell for me.

From talking to my bro-in-law apparently this is one of those movies that isn't anything like the book. The book is set up as a series of interviews with those that survived the war & what it was like for them. I'll have to see about borrowing his copy at some point.
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM
<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:16 am

Re: World War Z

I haven't read the book but I found I enjoyed the movie. It wasn't what I expect and I was happy about that. Amelia jumped a few times but she liked it...enough that she wants me to buy the dvd..lol
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

JAltermott

Major
Major

Post Tue May 27, 2014 7:56 pm

Adding my two cents to an older discussion.

As Blue noted above, the book and the movie are really two different entities. The book is meant to serve more as a record of the zombie epidemic with first person accounts from those who lived through the apocalypse and survived to tell their tales. You get a wide range of individuals contributing to the history of World War Z, from the common man to the wealthy to the politicians to the military commanders, and you get to see humanity at its best and worst throughout the book. No single character is entirely good or benevolent while no character is entirely evil or self-serving either. Very three-dimensional characters made their stories that much more compelling.

The zombies are also portrayed very differently in the movie compared to the book. In the book the zombies were slower moving; more of an elemental force. Clearly the faster moving zombies were done for cinematic effect which is fine.

I preferred the book over the movie, but I enjoyed both all the same.
John Altermott
Call Sign: "Flat Top" (JAltermott)
Maj., United States Air Force
CO, S2- Intelligence
SG-22 - SEALs (Team Pilot) - Fireteam Bravo
USS ILIAD (TDY) - Stargate Command
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Tue May 27, 2014 8:02 pm

The same can be said of Starship Troopers. While the book centers on the isolation of the troopers in their enviro-suits, the movie, well I'm not sure what the movie centers on. Needless to say the book is far superior to the move IMHO.
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
CO:SG- Prometheus
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
CO:Team Prometheus Airsoft
Owner: Symweap Airsoft
" Beware Merlin, for he knows all things by the Devil's craft "
<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Tue May 27, 2014 8:25 pm

In most cases...the books are always better.
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

JAltermott

Major
Major

Post Tue May 27, 2014 11:57 pm

John Altermott
Call Sign: "Flat Top" (JAltermott)
Maj., United States Air Force