[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - Summer reading suggestions
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Summer reading suggestions

<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:10 am

Summer reading suggestions

Rumour has it that this time of year people have vacations and read books. Or used to anyway, now you can read on almost anything it seems.

Back to the point. If someone have any good suggestions for what to read, lets hear it.

My first suggestsion is the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Butcher/e/B00 ... sr=1-2-ent

It is a series of pulpy/noire detective novels, where Harry Dresden gets punched a lot (like PI's usually do) and solves mysteries in Chicago. Oh, by the way, he is also a wizard and many of his clients have problems of the supernatural kind or are supernatural beings. Somehow Butcher manages to keep the flavour, and easy language, of a pulp novel as well as incorporating things like werewolfs and naughty pixies and making it sound perfectly natural. They are also very funny, so I can highly recommend them as summer entertainment.
NAME: ... that new guy Dr Jackson dragged in.
CALLSIGN: DustyBadger
ASSIGNMENT: ... dont know yet, but it seems to have something to do with those early Asgardian artefacts SG1 found on Nifelheim.

I hope you like Guinness, sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for... food.
Col. Jack O'Neill. Lost City, part 1.
<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:03 pm

Re: Summer reading suggestions

Thanks for the suggestion Dusty. I'm pretty sure my brother-in-law has that series, maybe I'll have to see if I can borrow it.

I've had time to get some reading done as I commute to work. I've almost finished a paperback novel authored by Howard Wasdin(a former SEAL) titled "SEAL TEAM SIX: OUTCASTS".

The premise is that 3 SEALs & a Navy intel analyst are put together as a team with tier 1 status & given ops to carry out that are ultra black. The catch: they are considered expendable & have no possibility of back-up or rescue. All 4 of them should've been drummed out of the service.

I've really enjoyed how Mr. Wasdin lends his personal experiences & technical knowledge to the story.
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:29 am

It is always interesting to read things written by people who knows what they are talking about.
ASSIGNMENT: ... dont know yet, but it seems to have something to do with those early Asgardian artefacts SG1 found on Nifelheim.

<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:40 am

Was the TV series based on that?

I've been reading the Game of Thrones series...I"m on book 5... very good.

I"ve also been reading "The Mask of Troy" by David Gibbins... excellent book... there are I think 5 in the series now. The main character is a diver/archaeologist. He always uncovers something from ancient history that always seems to have some sinister plot behind it. Very similar to the books Clive Cussler writes about NUMA.
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:36 pm

There's supposed to be a new book in the Game of Thrones collection soon. Make that books 6 & 7 are in the process of being finalized. The author is under the gun to get them done before the HBO series catches up with him.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!
<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:39 pm

He better hurry! lol
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:53 pm

LOL I know the GoT is one of our families favorite book and TV series and looking forward to the next book releases.
Matt Snyder
CO, 10th SFS - Tau'ri Furies
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:34 pm

I gave up on looking forward to Martin's newest book because it makes me mad to wait! haha

I just finished reading The Rook and while it had some problems, the world and concept were interesting and light. It was like Harry potter meets Jason Bourne meets Ghostbusters. Perfect summer reading! :)

I just picked up a Dresden Files book from the library on a whim, haven't started it yet, so we'll see.

Anyone who loves fantasy, I can't recommend highly enough Raymond Feist's Riftwar Saga and Steven Erikson's Malazan series. High fantasy, magic, and lots of political intrigue and detailed battle scenes. Hard to believe I know, but detailed battle scenes and political intrigue make a fantasy series for me.
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:01 pm

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:15 pm

Yes, the short lived TV series Dresden Files was based on the book(s). Unfortunately the series didn't gain much traction & kind of sputtered out.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:51 am

Is the Dresden TV-show any good?

<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:02 am

I thought it was... but it only lasted a season. (about 5-6 years ago)
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:53 pm

There are so many TV-shows that I have to watch, and so little time. :mad:

<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Got done with the book I mentioned previously & picked-up "Horse Soldiers" again to see about finishing it. This tells the tale of how a small group of Army Special Forces soldiers rode into battle on horseback in Afghanistan shortly after 911 to assist the Afghans in defeating the Taliban. An interesting & informative read if you're into military non-fiction.

I also picked-up my copy of "Star Wars: Abyss" a Fate of the Jedi paperback to see about getting that finished.

So yes, I am reading 2 books the same time. This a good thing for me(I'm not he best reader).
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:08 am

<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:23 am

Dusty- sounds like that would be interesting, I'd check it out if I had the info about it.
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:02 am

I've done some googeling and it might be Restrepo Im thinking of.

<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:58 pm

I'll have try that & see what happens. Thanks.
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:22 am

Let me know if it is any good.

<<

Camille

New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:24 am

I suggest you to read the classics.

Next

Return to Sci-Fi & Fantasy General Discussion