FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Dredd

<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:31 am

Dredd

Finally managed to look at the new Dredd movie last night. I am a bit undecided about how much I liked it. I liked the part when they are inside the building, the action was ok and the costumes. Unfortunately I am a wee bit disappointed in Mega City 1. Sure I get the point of making it more or less like a huge version of LA and making everything very much contemporary, but it looses a lot in translation. It does not feel like a MEGA city, just a big honking city with no levels, no buried old city, no spaceport and so on.

Over all though it was a good movie. I give it 3 out of 5 lawgivers.
NAME: ... that new guy Dr Jackson dragged in.
CALLSIGN: DustyBadger
ASSIGNMENT: ... dont know yet, but it seems to have something to do with those early Asgardian artefacts SG1 found on Nifelheim.

I hope you like Guinness, sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for... food.
Col. Jack O'Neill. Lost City, part 1.
<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am

Re: Dredd

I thought it was a pretty good movie... better than the previous one.
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:15 pm

I can barely remember the old one. With the exception of him taking of the helmet I cant say I found it all that bad though. Perhaps it is time for a re-watch.
ASSIGNMENT: ... dont know yet, but it seems to have something to do with those early Asgardian artefacts SG1 found on Nifelheim.

<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:14 pm

We had watched this new Dredd a few months ago. It made for an entertaining evening, but I didn't feel it was worthy of joining our collection though. The big difference between the 2 versions style wise, is that the old 1 is more comic book looking while the new 1 has a more realistic look. I tend to prefer a more realistic look.
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:24 am

I'm all for the realistic look when it comes to the costumes and such. But as the overall approach of the city goes it just seems like they substituted the original futuristic Mega city landscape with a cut-and-paste version of LA with added skyscrapers and that detracted a lot of the Judge Dredd mood I think.

<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:33 pm

I can see what you mean Dusty. Something more congested & post apocalyptically sci-fi would've suited the film better if they were trying to be more in alignment with the comics.
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:33 am

Indeed. I get the point though why they choose to go that way.

<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:40 pm

lol...I liked the new one much better than the old. But, it could be that I was expecting the new one to be crap so when it wasn't I was pleasantly surprised... :razz:

I was disappointed with the first one when I originally saw it.
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:43 pm

lol expecting crap is always my default mood :)

<<

Gideon Deschain

Major
Major

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:33 am

One of my favorite topics: JUDGE DREDD! :-)

I enjoyed the portrayal by Karl Urban but it was missing some things...the blocks were of the correct dimensions but there weren't enough (they should be everywhere) AND what's up with the 1987 VW van (my high-school girlfriend's Mom had one just like it)???
No flying vehicles. Dang.
I loved the fact that the original Dredd (with Stallone) kept the HUGE shoulder pads, but the gear was all too new and shiny.

I agree that the new one lacked the true feeling of MEGA CITY ONE (must be fully capitalized due to it MEGA-ness). I feel that two movies do an excellent job of capturing the feel of over-populated, hi-tech metro-squallor: "Fifth Element" and the re-make of "Total Recall" (far superior in all ways in my opinion, never was a fan of the original, and saw it in the theater).

I still miss the body-suit quality of the original (and continuing) Dredd comics, along with the huge (and green) gloves, pads, boots and Lawgiver.

But, the new one had wonderful production values and Urban looked a LOT like the early Dredd from the comics. Also, it was a treat seeing the other judges (of all stripes). AWESOME villain! Anyone recognize her from one the most bad-ass movies ever made?

Thoughts?
Maj. Gideon Deschain
CO, SG Shadow Hunters
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom

"Every meal a banquet, every paycheck a fortune, every formation a parade...I LOVE the Marine Corps!"
<<

DustyBadger

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:12 am

lol the van bothered me to no end as well. It should been an invaluable antic or something from the Cursed Earth.

In an interview, perhaps in the extras, the director talked about the "thinning" of the Mega City 1 sky line as an choice in line with the "more realistic" approach to the story. But that sounds just silly to me, why on Earth couldn't the blocks stand closer to each other?

I'd say that 5th Element was closer to MC1, but going a little to far up on the sci-fi scale for my taste. I have not seen the new Total Recall yet so it'll be interesting to see. I had no problems with the new version of the costumes but did indeed miss the shoulder pads a bit.

I did recognize Lena Headey, but not sure which movie you're thinking of.

By the way Gideon, have you tried the Dredd game Dredd vs Death that came out some years ago? It was rather simple but great fun :)

Return to Sci-Fi & Fantasy General Discussion