FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Once Apon a Time

<<

Lady Blue

Ensign - USN
Ensign - USN

Post Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:47 pm

Once Apon a Time

Bluejedi and I are watching Once Apon a Time and we spotted Master Bra'tac. Actually the actor who played him of course, in this new show he plays Geppetto. I'd say that if you like fairy tale related things and mysteries, then this is a show you might want to check out.
Shylah/Amy(host)
XO, SG-22
Tok'ra agent
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM
<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: Once Apon a Time

I have it recording as my husband is watching the baseball game! And I wasn't really too interested until I saw Tony Amendola was in it. He's a really underrated actor. When we saw him at ConCarolinas several years back, he did a reading from Shakespeare that was brilliant. Plus, he was very nice to talk to as well.

Shows like this can be fun. I loved the miniseries The 10th Kingdom from years ago. And there's another one premiering this Friday called Grimm that looks pretty good too.
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Lady Blue

Ensign - USN
Ensign - USN

Post Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:03 pm

quick update. Just saw Dr. Rush from SGU as Rumpelstilzchen. That's now makes two Stargate alum in this new show.
Shylah/Amy(host)
XO, SG-22
Tok'ra agent
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
<<

Lady Blue

Ensign - USN
Ensign - USN

Post Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:10 pm

I'm looking forward to the premiere of Grimm later this week as well, it should be good.
Shylah/Amy(host)
XO, SG-22
Tok'ra agent
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
<<

Andromeda

Captain
Captain

Post Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:46 pm

Darn! I knew I forgot something!
Capt. Elizabeth Bryans
SG-Shadow Hunters
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom

Well, excuse me for being a mere mortal. - Heero Yuy

<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:46 am

both Grimm and Once upon a time are quite good..im enjoying them so far
NAME:Rob Antilles
CALLSIGN:Shifty
ASSIGNMENT:Atlantis
Member of SG-7 (Australia)
<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:27 am

My daughter is still scared of Grimm and won't watch it with me after the first one...but she loves to watch Once Upon a Time with me... I like both of them 8)
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

Lady Blue

Ensign - USN
Ensign - USN

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Unfortunately because of the power outage this past week we missed both Grimm & Once Apon a Time. I can say though, that both Bluejedi & I both like the 2 shows. I especially like Grimm since it takes place in Portland OR, I grew up 1 town over in Tigard. Yeah, Grimm does seem a bit dark & spooky for a young lady.
Shylah/Amy(host)
XO, SG-22
Tok'ra agent
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
<<

Vespid

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:58 am

My whole family settles in for Once Upon a Time. We like it a lot. We met Lee Arenberg (Grumpy) at Jen's first convention. I think he change the way Jen feels about Sci-Fi. Now we check out anything he is in. This show turned out to be pretty good.
Michael Kehs as
Michael 'Vespid' Williams
10th SFS, Tau'ri Furies
SG-SOCOM
<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:54 pm

I LOVE both Once Upon a Time and Grimm!!! I am pleasantly surprised. I thought OUaT looked like it wouldn't be that great because of the heavy use of flashbacks, but boy, it really works well for this show. I like that it has me anxious for them to start remembering something! If a show can elicit emotion, it is doing something right.

And I have a problem catching Grimm as my DVR only allows me to record two shows that are on at the same time and Friday night at the time Grimm airs I am recording Fringe and Supernatural! AGH> I hate watching any tv shows online, so it is annoying and I am behind on Grimm. I love that it is basically like Buffy only with a male 'chosen one' having to come to terms with his role.

So yes, make a note of it. I actually like two new shows and have nothing bad to say about them! LOL Well, except that I hate The Queen so much and just want Emma to smack her. And the actress playing Snow White is just so freaking adorable and perfect for it!
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color

<<

Lady Blue

Ensign - USN
Ensign - USN

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:46 pm

Oh, I much prefer to watch my shows on the tv, but have no problem watching them online to play catch-up if need be. I'm actually behind with Grimm and need to play catch-up, so I'll be watching two episodes in a row it looks like.
Shylah/Amy(host)
XO, SG-22
Tok'ra agent
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:52 am

Logan wrote:I LOVE both Once Upon a Time and Grimm!!! I am pleasantly surprised. I thought OUaT looked like it wouldn't be that great because of the heavy use of flashbacks, but boy, it really works well for this show. I like that it has me anxious for them to start remembering something! If a show can elicit emotion, it is doing something right.

And I have a problem catching Grimm as my DVR only allows me to record two shows that are on at the same time and Friday night at the time Grimm airs I am recording Fringe and Supernatural! AGH> I hate watching any tv shows online, so it is annoying and I am behind on Grimm. I love that it is basically like Buffy only with a male 'chosen one' having to come to terms with his role.

So yes, make a note of it. I actually like two new shows and have nothing bad to say about them! LOL Well, except that I hate The Queen so much and just want Emma to smack her. And the actress playing Snow White is just so freaking adorable and perfect for it!

faint......(BANG).............its ok..im fine...just the shock was a little too much...
NAME:Rob Antilles
CALLSIGN:Shifty
ASSIGNMENT:Atlantis
Member of SG-7 (Australia)
<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:20 am

With every episode I like ONCE and GRIMM even more. Honestly, when I first saw the previews I thought they were going to be crap...I mean how can story tale tv shows be any good? I'm glad I was proven wrong.
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:37 pm

Logan wrote:I LOVE both Once Upon a Time and Grimm!!! I am pleasantly surprised. I thought OUaT looked like it wouldn't be that great because of the heavy use of flashbacks, but boy, it really works well for this show. I like that it has me anxious for them to start remembering something! If a show can elicit emotion, it is doing something right.

I'm speechless, I always saw Logan as the sci-fi equivalent of Mikey (the Life cereal kid) But after this I'll have to make an effort to see these shows. Fairy Tale shows are not my "thing" but I'll make an exception after this rave review. Shifty, get up quick, I'm feeling a little faint myself.
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
CO:SG- Prometheus
SG-SOCOM
CO:Team Prometheus Airsoft
Owner: Symweap Airsoft
" Beware Merlin, for he knows all things by the Devil's craft "
<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Merlin... it's hard to explain...but they are more mystery than fairy tale. Grimm is more like Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel than I would say fairy tale.
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:50 pm

In that case I'll really have to see it, 'cause i really liked Buffy and Angel.
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
SG-SOCOM
<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:57 pm

not in the kick ass fighting thing so much...but in the different (fairy tale monster {substitute demon for the Angel/Buffy comparison}) to find and deal with each week. There is an ongoing mystery though...because we don't know what is really happening and who is involved. It's really good (Grimm)

Once Upon a Time is more mystery/drama. It's really unique. I can't think of any show to compare it too exactly.
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:59 pm

LOGAN who is your cable provider? AT&T Universal lets you record up to 4 shows at once with one main box. I have never done 4...I have done 3 on occassion.
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:04 pm

The titles are misleading for the uninformed (which includes me). You can understand my confusion with titles like "Once upon a time", the lead in for every fairy tale ever heard and "Grimm" as in Grimm's fairy tales. But be that as it may, I'll take a look at them as soon as I can find them.
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
SG-SOCOM
<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:06 pm

Yep, merlin. I was hesitant about both shows because I'm not into the fairy tale thing that much either. But both shows don't rely heavily on the fairy tale aspect and have made them new. A fresh take. Very well done.

Grimm reminds me a lot of Buffy as i said earlier. Only with a male protagonist. It even has the 'bad guy' as a sidekick thing that worked so well with Buffy and Angel. Nothing is black and white. You want to find out about the lore and how this came about.

Once upon a Time surprised me even more. Robert Carlysle is fantastic as a villain. I thought it would be silly because he's Rumplestiltskin of all things, but it works. It's a real mystery type show and the flashbacks are wonderful. Reminds me of the fantasy books I love to read. In fact, it is more straight up fantasy/mystery than fairy tale which is probably why I like it so much.

Merlin and shifty, you guys check them out and see what you think. Once you're able to drag yourselves up from the floor, of course

And Zathras, we have DISH. I hate to be greedy and always thought that being able to record two shows at once was pretty good. If they would allow you to watch a third show while the other two were recording I'd be set.
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color

Next

Return to Sci-Fi & Fantasy General Discussion