[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - Your Top 10 Sci-Fi / Fantasy Movies or Series
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Your Top 10 Sci-Fi / Fantasy Movies or Series

<<

SG-PRC

Captain
Captain

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:23 am

Your Top 10 Sci-Fi / Fantasy Movies or Series

Hi All!

As I was going through my vast collection of DVDs (and illegal downloads...lol), I decided share my Top 10 Sci-Fi / Fantasy Movies/Series with you.

Please list your Top 10 and feel free to tell us a little about them!
;-)

1) Battlestar Galactica (reimagined)
I fear change. I shy away from bleeding edge technology. I stay safe. There was no way I was going to install some commercial program that stays resident and runs in the background on my computer. (After all, it was probably written by Cylons.)

With several Emmy Awards for Visual Effects and a Peabody Award for overall excellence in its name, Battlestar Galactica reimagined is a must see.

2) Stargate (SG-1/SGU)
Well, if you are here there is no need to explain...

3) The Matrix
An action packed sci-fi adventure about Mr. Anderson who comes to believe that his everyday world is the product of a computer-driven digital matrix that feeds on human bio-energy.

4) Star Trek
Live long and prosper!

5) Star Wars
Use the Force!

6) Firefly/Serenity
Five hundred years in the future there's a whole new frontier, and the crew of the Firefly-class spaceship Serenity is eager to stake a claim on the action. They'll take any job, legal or illegal, to keep fuel in the tanks and food on the table. But things get a bit more complicated after they take on a passenger wanted by the new totalitarian Alliance regime. Now they find themselves on the run, desperate to steer clear of Alliance ships and the flesh-eating Reavers who live on the fringes of space.

7) The Walking Dead (AMC)
A modern tale of I am zombie and I come to eat you!

8) True Blood
TRUE BLOOD chronicles the backwoods Louisiana town of Bon Temps... where vampires have emerged from the coffin, and no longer need humans for their fix.

9) Supernatural
Bound by tragedy and blood, two brothers travel in mysterious back roads of the country in their '67 Chevy Impala, searching out the missing X-File episodes.

10) Smallville
Before the Legend...Before the Icon...He was a teenager growing up in Smallville.
Last edited by SG-PRC on Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capt. Anthony J. Tesoriero
Nu Sector Coordinator
CO, UNSGO
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom

'AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM'
<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:26 am

Re: Your Top 10 Sci-Fi / Fantasy Movies or Series

Here are my top 10 sci-fi/fantasy(no order).

1) SG-1
2) Star Trek
3) Star Wars
4) BSG (reimagined)
5) Farscape
6) Underworld
7) Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings
8) Avatar
9) BSG (original)
10) X-Files
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM
<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:28 am

Oops, don't know how that smiley got there.
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:11 pm

The top of my list runs rather older but here it is:
1) The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) A spaceship lands on Earth with two occupants, a humanoid and a large robot. their mission, to inform the people of Earth that they are not alone, and that they must change their ways to join the other planets in peaceful coexistence or face grave danger.
2) The Thing (1954) An isolated arctic science station discovers a crashed space craft with an occupant who is as different from humans as one pole from the other.
3) Them (1954) Atomic testing in the wid-west desert causes the mutation of ants into super size monsters.
4) The War of the Worlds (1952) The inhabitants of Mars launch an invasion of Earth after discovering that Mars is doomed.
5) Forbidden Planet (1956) An Earth military spacecraft is sent to make contact with a colonizing expedition of scientists, who 20 years earlier landed on an ancient planet, who's inhabitants had advanced far ahead of human kind. ( Many consider this film to be the inspiration and model for Star Trek's command staff on the Enterprise ).
6) Stargate ( the movie )
7) Mission to Mars
8) Space 1999
9) Star Trek ( All the shows and movies )
10) Stargate SG-1 ( Atlantis also ) ( I couldn't get into Universe )
* Of course I couldn't leave out the Star Wars Series, but the list was for the top 10.
The top 5 are my all time favorite movies, so this skews the list in their favor over the TV series.
Last edited by merlin on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
CO:SG- Prometheus
SG-SOCOM
CO:Team Prometheus Airsoft
Owner: Symweap Airsoft
" Beware Merlin, for he knows all things by the Devil's craft "
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:06 pm

In no particular order:

Dr. Who - series & movies
Torchwood
BSG - original
Babylon 5 (& the movies that expanded on various episodes)
Star Trek - all 4 series & the original run of movies. Haven't checked out the one with Kirk, et al in their younger years
Star Gate - the movies & especially SG-1 & Atlantis. Had a hard time with SGU
Sanctuary
Haven
Warehouse 13
And another oldie but sort of goodie - Lost in Space ("Danger Will Robinson, danger.")
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!
<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:14 pm

I totally forgot "Lost in Space". I really enjoyed it when it first started, but then it became too campy, more like a comic book version then sci-fi. But still a decent show. I loved the robot.
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
SG-SOCOM
<<

SG-PRC

Captain
Captain

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:28 pm

Capt. Anthony J. Tesoriero
Nu Sector Coordinator
CO, UNSGO
SGC

'AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM'
<<

Overlord

RM Captain
RM Captain

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:17 pm

What would the call another movie of Stargate 2.0? Stargate: The Return of the System Lords? Or how about Stargate: Alternate Reality?
Capt. Thomas M. Gorman
CO, UNSGO
Royal Marine Commandos, UNSGO
SGC

"He that ruleth over men must be just." II Samuel, XXIII
<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:56 pm

I just watched the trailer for The thing, it's a remake of the Kurt Russel version. Why do we need a remake of a remake? the original was IMHO an excellent film, even the second one was decent, they changed the premise of the story which made it kinda fresh and new, but this new one is just a rehash. Come on Hollywood, think of something new!
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
SG-SOCOM
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:30 pm

Goes to show you - they're scraping the bottom of the barrel for script writers. And when they hand the amateurs those original scripts you end up with lunch meat
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!
<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:42 pm

1 - Star Trek : Deep Space Nine ( I love them all, except for Enterprise and parts of Voyager but this was Trek at its finest)
2 - Buffy the Vampire Slayer (tv series of course)
3 - Farscape
4 - Firefly
5 - Star Wars (Original trilogy please)
6 - Battlestar Galactica (original)
7 - Logan's Run (where do you think my name came from?)
8 - Planet of the Apes (every single one of the original movies)
9 - Godzilla (this counts right? I'm saying it does!)
10 - Stargate (the movie, SG-1 and most especially SGU. I just never got into Atlantis)
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Preacher

Major
Major

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:50 pm

1) Split Second (Rutger Hauer, Kim Cattrall ) 1992...one of the best I have ever seen!
2) Serenity and anything firefly...Duh!!!!
3)Anything and everything Stargate...Nuff said
4)The 5th element..Bruce Rocks!
5) Aliens (Come on Space Marines!!!!! How cool is that!)
6) Blade Runner 1982.....really this movie just ruled!
7) Outland 1981...space marshal Sean Connery..Heck yeah!
8) Enemy Mine 1985...the best dialog is a scifi hands down!
9) Army of Darkness 1992....horror scifi whatever....Bruce Cambell RULES! worm holes, zombies, evil mini bruces LOL
10) The NEW Star Trek Movie...WOW!!!!!!!
Bvt Maj. Joey Bruner
CO, S6 - Communications
SG Shadow Hunters - XO
SG-SOCOM

<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:35 pm

In each new post here I see titles that I had forgotten, and my reaction is OMG how could I have forgotten that. Logan's
Run, The Fifth Element, Outland , Planet of the Apes and The Alien series . I don't think I can limit the list to just 10 titles, may have to bump it up to top 50 ( maybe top 100) :D
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
SG-SOCOM
<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:38 pm

Yeah, I'm right there with you merlin! Blade Runner, Alien and Fifth Element are dear to me. And I also love many of the others people have listed but couldn't put them in my top 10 (Warehouse 13, Supernatural, Lord of the Rings and others). I just ended up putting the first 10 that came to my mind as I figured that would be the best representation of my favorites.
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Preacher

Major
Major

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:19 pm

Sci fi is like getting glasses.....so much to choose from...... from the beginning to present...so much....
granted there are a lot many love and hold dear, yet so many get overlooked by mainstream society that deserve a lot of credit. Not your b movie but really well made. so top 100 sure i could name a few LOL.
Bvt Maj. Joey Bruner
CO, S6 - Communications
SG Shadow Hunters - XO
SG-SOCOM

<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:54 pm

You guys are so right. So many really good titles out there the others are mentioning. I just haven't watched some of them in so long and my mind being so feeble they slipped by me. I actually saw Split Second in the theatre back when it came out. Good times.
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
<<

kilo11

Ensign - USN
Ensign - USN

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:06 am

ooo top 10, thats a tuffy, so many to choose from...

1. SG1 (Im here arent I)
2. Firefly/Serenity
3. Star Wars
4. Underworld I-III
5. Star Trek : NG, Voyager (my personal favorites)
6. Predator...
7. Aliens...
8. Highlander
9. LOR
10. Roar
Lt Cdr Kevin Byrnes
CO, SG-22(SEALs)/Alpha Team
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:10 am

If we each post 10 I'm sure we'll come up with the ones we all like in the end.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

SPECWAR

Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:01 am

Wow, how to choose? So many, hmm... let's see.
10. The Star Wars series. At least in the top ten.
9. Escape from New York
8. The Dark Crystal :mrgreen:
7. Star Trek series, no real favorites but I do love First Contact and
Enterprise.
6. Aliens
5. Stargate, Hey it's in the top five! (All of them)
4. Earth 2
3. SeaQuest
2. Space 1999
1. Buckaroo Banzai-Across the 8th Dimention!
Will "SPECWAR" Gomer
Security and CSAR/SERE Specialist
CO "Charlie" Team, SG-22
USAFV BC304 USS Iliad
SGC

"Can't Never Tried!" Bill Gomer
"I remember when NASA was four drunk pilots....And a case of dynamite!"
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:47 am

I think the Sci-Fi collection at Netflix is going to get very busy. With each post, we find ones that we overlooked in our own lists.

Actually, if we could all get together in one place, I see a week of non-stop sci fi watching with all comers bringing their sci fi DVD collections. Oops - that probably means at least a U-Haul van per person - where would we park those?
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

Next

Return to Sci-Fi & Fantasy General Discussion