<<

Andromeda

Captain
Captain

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:00 pm

Terra Nova - Fox

TERRA NOVA
September 26th 2011

The show begins in the year 2149, a time when all life on planet Earth is threatened with extinction (suggested in trailers to be due to dwindling worldwide air quality). In an effort to save the human race, scientists develop a portal allowing travel 85 million years back in time to prehistoric Earth. The Shannon family (father Jim, his wife Elisabeth, and their three children Josh, Maddy and Zoe) join the tenth pilgrimage of settlers to Terra Nova, the first human colony on the other side of the temporal doorway. However, they are unaware that the colony is in the middle of a group of carnivorous dinosaurs.

Broadcast

Terra Nova was expected to premiere in May 2011 with a two-hour sneak preview, but due to the amount of time being spent on visual effects, its pilot was moved to autumn 2011 to air together with the rest of season one. In May 2011, Fox announced the series would air on Monday nights, and released a full trailer. The series has an initial 13-episode order, with a possibility of an expanded order, although the production process on the series is long. Terra Nova is scheduled to premiere at the 2011 San Diego Comic-Con International on July 23, 2011.

In the UK, digital channel Sky 1 has picked up the series, which will air the Autumn of 2011. Sky 1's director said of the pick-up, "It's cinematic, powerful and a whole lot of fun that'll be even more fantastic in HD."[
Capt. Elizabeth Bryans
SG-Shadow Hunters
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom

Well, excuse me for being a mere mortal. - Heero Yuy

<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Terra Nova - Fox

The concept is good and has been touched on in other shows/movies, including very well done in a Sliders continuing storyline.

I've seen the previews and am not all that impressed. Yes, I know I am really hard on scifi! LOL I have high standards!

I will watch to see how it goes, but FULLY expect it to be cancelled before the first 13 eps are aired to completion. The effects and production costs will be so high that ratings would have to be ridiculously high in order to keep it going. Unless, they went the Land of the Lost cheesy route and it doesn't look like it from the clips I've seen.
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Andromeda

Captain
Captain

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:17 pm

I've seen the first two episodes and really like this new series. Can't wait for some more of those secrets to unfold. Kind of reminded me of the start of Eureka, guy made Sheriff because of an incident he helped with and his background, unexpected daughter comes along. Military, dinosaurs, and underhandedness.
Capt. Elizabeth Bryans
SG-Shadow Hunters
SG-SOCOM

<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:39 pm

My wife & I have been watching. We really like it. Its got some really cool elements to it: military, conspiracy, dinosaurs, and a cool techie look to the all the gear. I'm really hoping that it lasts and doesn't budget itself out of a time slot, which of course can be a drawback to these heavy effects laden shows.
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM
<<

Andromeda

Captain
Captain

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:51 pm

Yeah, the gear they are using is awesome. And it's all the little things that add to it, like the mention of the size of the moon and the difference in natural pigments and something simple as the difference of a plant that a child is repotting. But then they keep it on such a relatable level with the teenage kids sneaking off to drink.
Capt. Elizabeth Bryans
SG-Shadow Hunters
SG-SOCOM

<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:31 pm

I'm enjoying Terra Nova. Seems to be a lot going on...a lot to keep you interested.
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:20 pm

I agree that the addition of the small details helps add to the whole experience. That's the kind of thing keeps my interest up.
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:52 am

I dislike this show more than Falling Skies and that's saying something! LOL The concept is good, but the lack of tech and explanations is frustrating. That said, I loved the premiere episode. They fit a lot in and I hoped it would continue, but the second episode was so boring I almost went to sleep.

1 - The main plot seemed like something redone from Earth : 2.

2 - The new protagonist they brought in, Dr. Malcolm, seems like a dud. If you're going to bring in the old flame who finangled getting the wife to come to the new world, at least make him a real threat! This guy wasn't hot or slick or anything! You need a smooth-talking, devious SOB to make waves. And like he wouldn't KNOW that the husband came too? Please. Place doesn't seem that big.

The son was such a jerk in the first ep! And he went against everything he was told and ate the food and didn't get sick at all. Why even bother making a point that they had to drink the blue milk stuff if it wasn't going to matter?

Also, the people in charge aren't required to take some sort of seminar to familiarize themselves with the types of animals they will be exposed to? As a cop with the responsibility for the safety of the populace Jim should have known that those pterosaurs were different, right?

It just bothered me that they all seem to take for granted what species they'll be dealing with until the doc runs up and gives a running commentary as they're trying to duck under cover.

I want to know how they are communicating with the future through the damn rift. Taylor said they could request people and we know they have been able to give medical info on what to expect when you come through. And they have said repeatedly it's a one way trip. The dino stuff and primitivity of the camp is cute and all, but I need some technological details. And that wooden fence is their security? They're this technologically advanced and all they have is a fence?

Trained soldiers were destroyed and they are in a colony that is protected by a wooden fence and they KNOW these critters can FLY and they just go about their outside daily routines and seem surprised when they are swooped on.
And if they have sonic blasts to see the dinos on the thermal flying out of the trees, why don't they use that tech to repel them from the freaking colony?

I also didn't understand how they knew the exact minute that the beasts would descend so they could draw them out with the pheromones thing. They had time to stand around and deal with the wounded and then get everyone safely tucked away in their homes and right at the second that they were ready to carry out their master plan, boom, here come the flying dios right on schedule!

In the premiere they explain that when the rift opened they realized it was a different time stream because they never found the probe they sent through anywhere in 'The Future.' Which is a pretty flimsy reason to believe it is a totally different time stream because there could be multiple explanations as to why they didn't find the probe. And they made no mention of the colony either, so yeah, it's full of holes. There are so many reasons that the probe could not be found in the future. The big reveal looks like it's heading for the discovery that this IS the same time stream...and Taylor's 'crazy' son and The Sixers know it and there's some big cover up. And Taylor is such a caricature that it is ridiculous.

I really want to like this show but the laziness of the writers is really off putting.
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color

<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:40 pm

I think they are going to find out it's not a different time stream...I think it's part of the story.
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:47 pm

Yes, that's what I think too. It seems kinda obvious and to me, I think it would be much more interesting if it was a different time stream. Otherwise, there's going to be a cataclysmic event in their colony's future, so why go back in time instead of trying to use their tech to find another planet...if that's even possible. We don't really know because while it seems they are advanced enough for interstellar travel, they didn't mention it.

If the big reveal is that they are trying to hide that it is the same time stream, I'm going to be disappointed.
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color

<<

Andromeda

Captain
Captain

Post Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Yeah, I was like.. wtf.. a wooden fence?
Capt. Elizabeth Bryans
SG-Shadow Hunters
SG-SOCOM

<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:53 pm

I also think that Sky is going to end up being Taylor's granddaughter. She said her parents died of a virus, but I'm thinking maybe her dad didn't and he was exiled for some reason. I don't know. Just seemed like it would explain why Taylor took on the role of her 'guardian.' He doesn't seem like the fatherly type.

And my money is on Malcolm as the snitch for the Sixers. He acts like he's bitter and has issues. And I know since he's the scientist it doesn't seem to make sense, but we'll see.
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color

<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards: test award

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:29 am

Actually, I'm digging Terra Nova more than Falling Skies. They may have some things to work through with being consistant, etc. But I think thta the discovery of details and history will be part of the future episodes.
Matt Snyder
CO, 10th SFS - Tau'ri Furies

<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:29 pm

Better episode over all this week, but after last week I'm not sure how much of that is the good from this week or the horrid from last. The one thing different was MUCH less Josh (older son) and Sky this week and thank you! I think that may be why it was more palatable. Those teenagers are obnoxious. yes, yes, teens are obnoxious, but these kids are unlikable.

My main problem with this ep was threefold...

1 - predictable. As soon as Jim said he didn't catch colds, you knew he was. As soon as Jim sneezed while talking to Elizabeth you knew his cold would be the thing that caused him to be immune. I could NOT believe they even wasted a few minutes of time contemplating that it was the root causing him not to catch it.

2 - Taylor. Hated his whole commando thing. Hated it. You knew he was going to spaz out hardcore, but how did he find the colony???? He had no idea where he was and he somehow miraculously finds a motorcycle and gets to the colony, boom. I will admit that I liked the scene in the camp when Wash shot him. That was actually pretty cool.

3 - So they can get messages through the portal when it's open...unless they can do it whenever they want and Taylor's lying about it. Okay.

At least the Sixers have some air of mystery about them that makes me wonder what they're really up to.

And I like the oldest daughter and her soldier boyfriend. Josh and Sky make me want to puke. "Uh duh, do you think we should tell somebody about all the mysterious etchings on the rocks? Duh?" This kid obviously didn't get the brains in the family.

But yes, overall, I liked this episode much better. They're working on some of the kinks and next week's looks like it will amp up the intrigue part of things which I look forward to.
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color

<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:01 am

It was definatly predictable...but most shows are (that's why the ones that aren't really stand out) However, I still enjoyed it.
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:04 am

I actually liked it okay! Haha. I just like to gripe about scifi when there are so many tv shows and movies that try hard to entertain and challenge at the same time. Primeval is a good example of a show that incorporated scifi and dinosaurs and didn't stoop to being predictable.

Shoot. I will gripe about shows I like more than the ones I can't stand! :)
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color

<<

merlin

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Remember what we spoke of earlier, if you say you like a show, it sure as heck'll get cancelled.
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
CO:SG- Prometheus
SG-SOCOM
CO:Team Prometheus Airsoft
Owner: Symweap Airsoft
" Beware Merlin, for he knows all things by the Devil's craft "
<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:28 pm

I know it!

Oh and I just remembered another thing that bugged me! When Jim and Malcolm ran into the station and immediately took off their oxygen masks...even though it was an unknown pathogen/quarantine situation AND Malcolm is the Chief Science officer! Ahhhhhhhh! I know they have to do stuff for plot, but come on guys. :)
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color

<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:55 pm

Jim's mask got broken by the sonic blast, so it useless anyways. Malcolm on the other hand was just being an idiot. I liked the addition of the new subplot and am curious to see how the sixers try to use Josh, as well as finding out their mysterious purpose.
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:04 pm

I didn't notice Jim's mask get damaged! That doesn't mean you're wrong, just that I didn't notice it cause he was still wearing it until he saw Elizabeth and took it off, I thought so she could see it was him.

Yes, I am very glad they're bringing The Sixers back next week. And the idea of a portal black market is awesome and I can't wait to get into the meat of how things go down.
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color

Next

Return to Sci-Fi & Fantasy General Discussion