From Yahoo news:

By Akiko Fujita
@akikofujita
Follow on Twitter
Oct 1, 2012 8:16am
Uh-Oh. Diaper Shortage Possible After Plant Explosion
Email 24 Smaller Font Text Larger Text | Print

Diaper Shortage Possible After Plant Explosion

As so often happens, moms are left to deal with the mess.

An explosion at a Japanese chemical plant this weekend has the spectre of a global diaper shortage.

The plant in the coastal city of Himeji, operated by Nippon Shokubai Co., is one of the world’s largest producers of acrylic acid, a primary ingredient used in disposable diapers.

Powerful blasts rocked the facility Saturday, as firefighters were trying to control a blaze at one of the tanks containing the chemical. One firefighter died and 34 employees and first responders were injured in the blast.

Acrylic acid is a key component of superabsorbent polymers or SAP, which absorb large amounts of liquid. Nippon Shokubai makes roughly 20 percent of the world’s SAP and maintains a 10 percent global market share of acrylic acid. The plant had been ramping up production to meet increasing global demand, especially from China, according to Japanese media reports.

Prior to the accident, the plant in the Hyogo Prefecture manufactured 460,000 tons of acrylic acid annually, supplying clients like Procter and Gamble, which relied on Nippon Shokubai for products it sold in Asia.

Roughly 4 million tons of acrylic acid are produced in the world, with the largest manufacturers in Germany and the U.S., according to Nippon Shokubai spokesman Akira Kurusu.

Kurusu said the company had already reached out to other producers to make sure their clients’ needs are met, but said he could not comment on whether the plant closure in Japan would affect global costs and supply.

End Story

I'm past caring about these as my youngest is going on 25, however many of our members may not be past this stage of life and I thought it was worthy of dissemination. Good luck to those that this may affect. Do I see cloth in your future?
LTC. Robb Wells (Merlin)
CO:SG- Prometheus
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
CO:Team Prometheus Airsoft
Owner: Symweap Airsoft
" Beware Merlin, for he knows all things by the Devil's craft "
<<

Preacher

Major
Major

Post Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:28 pm

Re: I'm so glade I'm past this problem

Holy poop batman!
Bvt Maj. Joey Bruner
CO, S6 - Communications
SG Shadow Hunters - XO
SG-SOCOM

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:13 pm

Don't forget the safety pins & rubber pants that will be needed with the environmentally friendly cloth diapers. Oops - can you even get them anymore?
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!
<<

bluejedi

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:01 pm

Man, I sure don't miss those days. Good luck to those that still have to endure the trials & tribulations of the diaper.
Lt. Michael Fiederowicz
CO, SG-22 - SEALs
USS ILIAD (TDY)
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM

Return to General Discussion