Post Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:12 pm

Diabetes Camp For Mathew

My son, who is 12 years old, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when he was 10 years old while visiting his Nana, my mother, for summer vacation. It was a scary time for us when he was admitted to the hospital with his blood sugar well over 600. The staff was baffled because Mathew did not act sick. They were worried that at any moment he would slip into a diabetic coma.

High blood sugar leads to Ketoacidosis, which is a serious condition that can lead to diabetic coma or even death. Ketoacidosis means dangerously high levels of ketones, which are acids that build up in the blood. They appear in the urine when your body doesn't have enough insulin, and are a warning that your diabetes is out of control or that you are getting sick.

Despite showing only a few signs of having this disease, his Pediatrician assured me that he was fine every time I brought up the issues he was having. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough showing for her to be concerned about. After all, he was a straight A student in school even before an eye exam showed that he had a stigmatism and the strength of his lenses are extremely strong.

Mathew is a happy child, but he's a very angry one. He's upset about being sick and nearly every day he says he wishes he had never of let his grandmother prick his finger to test his blood. Nearly every day he wishes he had never of been diagnosed. I don't know how many times he's said to me, "I wish I were normal. I wish I could eat whatever I want whenever like my sister does."

He has no one to relate to other than his 12 year old cousin who lives 5 hours away and that he doesn't get to see often. There's no other children in school who have it. There's no neighborhood kids that have it. There's no local support group that I've been able to find. I know he feels alone in his struggle and sometimes I do as well when it comes to taking care of him.

I'm writing this because I am asking for help to send Mathew to a summer camp for children with Diabetes, Camp Adam Fisher. http://campadamfisher.com/ Camp Adam Fisher is located in South Carolina at Lake Marion. The fee is $595 and it and the application has to be postmarked by April 25th. I only have 13 days from the time I'm writing this, to the time it has to be mailed.

I want him to know that he is a normal kid. That there are a good number of other kids who are dealing with this disease as well and are normal. Who knows, maybe he'll even make a friend who lives close by. I want him to feel accepted, normal, and loved.

If you find it in your heart to want to help, please send a donation to our paypal account. If you have any questions at all, please message me.
Capt. Elizabeth Bryans
SG-Shadow Hunters
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom

Well, excuse me for being a mere mortal. - Heero Yuy