[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - Recipes from the Mess Hall
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Recipes from the Mess Hall

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Recipes from the Mess Hall

I'll get to my recipe contribution in the next post. At Christmas time Shifty mentioned an Australian dessert called Pavlova. If you go to you'll find a collection of recipes for this meringue concoction. The one that looks the simplest to me is called: The Best Pavlova. In the picture they post it looks, & going by the list of ingredients, sounds really decadent. However, it would also be a nice light dessert after a big holiday meal or an SG-Ops potluck. Beware, I have a funny feeling this meringue confection is addictive.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:45 pm

Ok. I had to interrupt myself to get this from a PDF file to a cut & paste that would fit here. It's from my mom's Betty Crocker Cookbook & called Inexpensive Sponge Cake. I recommend using almond extract if you're serving this topped with fruit or a chocolate icing (peppermint works well with chocolate too). I've also used anise extract in this for a change of pace that works well with peaches or with a coffee flavored icing. There are a number of fruit extracts that would also be good for this. Use your favorites.

Inexpensive-Sponge-Cake.jpg

If you need the image larger, you can send me an e-mail at either Chief_Bugga@live.com or LadySallyMcB@live.com. You can also use your browser's zoom function. I have also checked - you can extract the image so you can open it in photo editing software to adjust the size to your needs. The image above is the largest I could get it without exceeding the size limitations. You have both a 2-layer/13x9 version & a single layer/9" square version of the recipe so you don't need to do the measurement calculations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:30 pm

Periodically you'll see references to Colonial Hot Chocolate in Iliad's Scuttlebutt. Well, looking for something else I ran across the rest of the pages that came from my mom's 1950s edition of the Betty Crocker Cookbook. Lady B has mentioned this in various posts she has made also. On page 56 (I haven't seen it in the new edition by the way) I found the following:

Martha Washington's Colonial Chocolate & is reputed to be George's favorite. The contributor of the recipe claimed direct descent from Martha Washington.

This recipe states it makes 6 servings & is posted here as it appears in the cookbook.

Mix to a smooth paste in a saucepan ...
4 tablespoons cocoa
a little cold water (no more than is needed to make the paste - a quantity is not given

Stir in ...
2 cups water
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups milk

Bring to a boil and blend in ...
2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in a little cold milk (again no quantity is given)

Boil 3 minutes longer. Remove from heat and set in warm place (a good place is a burner set on low)

Beat until light and foamy ...
1 egg with 1/2 cup hot water

Pour half of egg mixture into a heat proof pitcher

Blend in 1/2 tsp vanilla

Add hot chocolate slowly. Pour remaining egg mixture over top. Serve at once.

Lady B & I have occasionally discussed adding a bit of the chocolate liqueur Godiva to any hot chocolate/cocoa to make it a bit more decadent & warming.

Of course you can top this with marshmallows or whipped cream if you like. On the same page is a recommendation for iced chocolate that uses your favorite hot cocoa recipe cooled & served in glasses over crushed/chopped ice then topped with sweetened whipped cream.

So - all hot chocolate lovers - enjoy. Who's going to post a recipe next?
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:35 pm

Chicken Italiano - Iliad Style. Below is for roughly 2-3 generous servings.

1 boneless chicken breast or equivalent in boneless thighs per person
1/4 cup Italian flavor Philadephia Cooking Creme (I'll propose an alternative below if you can't find it in your local grocery store) per chicken breast
1 lb of your favorite pasta (uncooked) per 3-4 generous servings
1 jar (26 oz) of your favorite tomato sauce or the equivalent homemade if you make your own
1/4-1/2 cup of your favorite Italian dressing
Shredded Italian blend or parmesan cheese

Water for cooking the pasta, flour & pepper for dusting your chicken & olive oil for searing it

Youl'll need your pasta pot of course & a covered skillet for cooking the chicken.

If you're making this recipe for more than 4 people get out a casserole for part of the cooking process - it'll be easier for you.

1. Rinse the chicken with cool water
2. In a 1 gal. freezer bag mix about 1/8 c. flour per piece of chicken & black pepper to taste
3. Place your rinsed chicken in the bag 1 piece at a time & shake to coat with flour mixture

While you prepare the chicken, heat about 1/4 cup olive oil in your skillet until a few drops of cold water sizzle immediately when you shake them over the skillet.

4. Place the floured chicken in the skillet & sear until the side facing the pan is white about 1/2 up the thickest part of the pieces of chicken. Turn & sear the other side.

5. When the surfaces are a pale golden brown remove the chicken from the skillet & drain off the pan drippings.

6. Return the chicken to the skillet & pour some Italian dressing on the exposed surface (this will drip into the skillet to give you cooking liquid). After about 5 minutes flip the chicken & add Italian dressing to the side that is now exposed. Continue to turn the chicken every 5-10 minutes, dragging it through the salad dressing that has collected in the skillet to keep it basted.

7. Once the chicken is about 20 minutes from being done, start the water for your pasta & follow the cooking directions on the package.

8. After you put the pasta in the pot, flip the chicken once more or put it in a casserole (for a large number of servings). Spoon about 1/4 cup of the Cooking Creme on each piece & cover & return your skillet to the burner (on medium to low) or put the covered casserole in the oven (preheated to 350 deg) to continue cooking.

9. When your pasta is almost al dente, sprinkle the chicken with the cheese(s) return the covered skillet or casserole to the heat so the cheese will melt

10. Heat your pasta sauce to serving temperature.

Your chicken & pasta sauce should be ready to serve as you finish draining your pasta. However, do check your chicken with a meat thermometer to make sure it has reached 160-165 degrees at the thickest point of the thickest piece.

Let everyone spoon the amount of sauce they want over their chicken & past. Provide shredded parmesan or romano to sprinkle over the individual servings.

Serve with a garden side salad or a chilled fresh fruit salad & crusty rolls, French or Italian bread. Recommended for dessert - almond or anisette flavored cookies or a custard topped with fruit.

Alternative if you can't find the Italian flavor Cooking Creme or the plain cooking creme.

Enough whipped cream cheese to have enough for 1/4 c. per chicken breast, Italian seasonings to taste, enough milk to make a thick liquid when you mix these together.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:37 pm

Creamy Chicken from Iliad's Mess Hall (serves roughly 4 people or 2 with leftovers for lunch)

2 boneless chicken breasts (pre-seared - see directions for for Chicken Italiano - Iliad Style - & chilled)
1-2 cups chicken broth or chicken cooking stock
1/8 cup thinly slice onion
1/2-1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 container Philly Italian flavor cooking creme
1/2 contaner Philly garlic flavor cooking creme
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
Your favorite vegies (raw & cut as for a stir fry dish or frozen)
Hot pasta, rice, or egg noodles cooked to desired doneness

Equipment: covered skillet

The following steps take about 20-25 minutes after you slice the chicken. You will be cooking over medium heat for this one.

1. Slice the chilled seared chicken in thin slices (bite sized)
2. Heat about 1/2 cup of the chicken broth to a fast simmer and add the sliced onion and minced garlic.
3. Add the chicken & more broth as needed to keep the chicken from sticking to the pan & moist. The flour still adhering to the chicken from the searing step will thicken the chicken stock/broth as things cook.
4. When all the chicken slices are no longer pink, add the cooking cremes and a little more broth/stock.
5. Bring the chicken and creme mixture to a simmer and add your vegetables. Suggestions: peas or snow peas, shredded carrots, corn, French cut string beans, frozen stir fry vegetables - use your imagination. Cover and heat until the vegetables are hot (especially the frozen ones).
6. Add the cheddar cheese and stir to blend. Let the mixture simmer a few more minutes until it thickens slightly.
7. Serve with over pasta, noodles or rice.

Have shredded cheese available for folks to sprinkle on their serving.

Side dishes: biscuits, crusty bread/rolls, fruit compote. You could probably serve the chicken mixture over biscuits as you would traditional chicken & biscuits.
Dessert: shortbread or angel food cake topped with strawberries, peaches, raspberries, blueberries, cherry pie filling, lemon curd or other topping you enjoy with shortbread & angel food cake

That's 2 more from the Iliad - who's next?
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:14 pm

The recipe challenge is still on. All members - you don't necessarily need to cook yourself. Feel free to contribute a family favorite that someone else in your family or a friend makes regularly & has shared the recipe.

So what else is happening with all these recipes? I am currently collating them into a cookbook on CD & mixing in favorites from my collection of recipe cards & clippings. So to increase the variety of recipes being included sharing is welcomed. The CD will be available to all members once it is full & approved for circulation by the Com Staff.

The last one I typed into the collection is for my Great Aunt Till's Popcorn Balls (although I skip shaping it into balls & eat the popcorn loose as caramel coated popcorn). Aunt Till traditionally made these for Christmas but could be persuaded to make them for Halloween & other occasions too. Aunt Till told me she received the recipe from my great-grandmother & my great-grandmother received it from her mother. So it's been in the family for a few generations. When we visited Aunt Till after she'd made a batch, I ended up going home with several of these ooey, gooey treats. On one visit, I had fun helping her make them from start to finish. Sometimes she'd mix fresh walnuts (she had a walnut tree in her yard) in with the popcorn. These are softer than the popcorn balls you usually find in the stores.

So here it is for your snacking pleasure:

Aunt Till’s Popcorn Balls

Ingredients:

4 quarts (after popping) unsalted popcorn
½ cup light molasses
½ cup white corn syrup
¼ cup water
¼ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

1. In a saucepan mix molasses, corn syrup, water and salt.
2. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the mixture boils
3. Boil gently until forms a hard ball when a little bit of the caramel is dropped in cold water.
4. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and butter.
5. Pour over popcorn and stir to coat popcorn.
6. Quickly form the coated popcorn into balls. Forming the coated popcorn into balls is optional – it’s just as good served as caramel coated popcorn. Tightly wrap popcorn balls in plastic wrap & store wrapped popcorn balls in an airtight container. If you leave the popcorn loose store it in zippered storage bags in an airtight container. The wrappings will keep the popcorn from sticking to the container.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:36 pm

CORN CHOWDER: this particular recipe can’t really be called a recipe. It’s more a guide for making corn chowder. There are any number of versions of corn chowder based on family and regional preferences. In New England you might find it includes clams or oysters or leftover corn chowder is included in clam or oyster chowders. Chicken is a favorite meat add-in, but clams, shrimp, scallops and oysters have been known to make an appearance in some corn chowders. In the Southwest you might find black beans and hot chili peppers included in the mixture. Spices – listed are basic spices but you can use Cajun or Creole spices to achieve a flavor similar to jumbalaya. If you want to more closely approximate jumbalaya you’ll want to add some peas and shredded carrots. Half-N-Half and chicken or vegetable stock are added to make this the desired consistency. Serve with crusty bread on the side or over a bed of steamed rice. In New England you might find dessert to be baked apples or Apple Brown Betty.

Prep & Cook time: approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour
Serves: Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
3 (14-15 ounce) cans creamstyle corn
16 ounce bag frozen whole kernel corn
8 ounces frozen cubed potatoes (sometimes called homestyle hash browns)
1 pkg (10-12 ounces) Pico del Gallo*
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
½ cup shredded parmesan
Olive oil for searing the chicken breasts
Flour to coat the chicken breasts
Freshly ground peppercorns, marjoram, rosemary, basil and other seasonings of your choice to taste
Half-N-Half
Chicken or vegetable stock
Peas, shredded carrots, clams, shrimp, scallops, mussels or oysters if desired

* Pico del Gallo is a mixture of finely chopped onion, celery, parsley, red pepper, and in some regions plum tomato. The combination in the packaged Pico Del Gallo is just right for the chowder. It can be found in the produce section of many grocery stores near the packaged salad mixtures.

Directions:
1. In a large skillet or wok place enough olive oil to coat the bottom and have a little bit of liquid. Heat the olive oil until it starts to “smoke”.
2. While heating the olive oil, place enough flour to coat the chicken breasts thoroughly in a plastic bag (a zippered freezer bag works extremely well) and season it with freshly ground peppercorn to taste. Shake to blend the pepper into the flour. Add the chicken breasts and shake until well coated with flour.
NOTE: if you are using scallops coat them in the same flour mixture. Get your shrimp precooked & shelled to make life easier. Oysters can be found in plastic containers with the shells already removed. Heat the oysters a little in the broth that’s in the container and drain before adding to the chowder. Steam clams or mussels as directed in a good cookbook or ask at the market if they can steam them for you or provide instructions.
3. Shake the excess flour off the chicken and place in the heated oil. Sear about 3 minutes on each side and remove from the pan. Turn the pan off so you don’t burn the olive oil & pan “drippings”. you’ll need these.
4. Cut the chicken breasts into bite size pieces and return to the skillet. Return the skillet to the heat and continue to sear the chicken until you see no pink in the small pieces. Add chicken or vegetable stock to the pan as needed to keep liquid around the chicken.
5. When the chicken is almost done add about ½ of the Pico del Gallo mixture to the chicken.
6. While the chicken cooks place the corn as well as peas and carrots (if you use them), remaining Pico del Gallo, garlic, more ground pepper and other seasonings in a stock pot or large Dutch oven.
7. Add the chicken mixture to the corn mixture. If you are including scallops, heat some more broth or olive oil to sear the scallops – it takes about 5 minutes to have the scallops sufficiently cooked to add to the chowder. DO NOT OVERCOOK these – they’ll become leathery if you do.
8. To the corn mixture add a combination of half-n-half and broth until it’s the desired consistency.
9. Heat over medium high heat until it starts steaming. Stir in cheeses, ham or bacon and any additional liquid to maintain your desired consistency as well as additional seasonings.
10. When the corn mixture starts to bubble add the scallops and/or other shellfish. Stir frequently as the mixture comes just to the slow boil point. Reduce heat and let the chowder simmer a few minutes to blend the flavors. Continue stirring the chowder frequently to prevent sticking during the simmer time.
11. Make any final adjustments to the seasonings and serve with rice, salad or other side dishes.

Have crackers, additional shredded cheddar, and croutons available for people to garnish their chowder. Some people may want a little more pepper so have a pepper grinder handy. Crusty French or Italian bread, or even cornbread are good side items.

NOTES: You may want to add more creamstyle corn to this if you use the shellfish as well as chicken. Small cubes of cooked ham can also be added or crumbled cooked bacon.

To make a larger batch figure that the list above is based on using 2 chicken breasts, so you’ll want to increase the recipe accordingly for every 2 chicken breasts added.

You can also prepare this in a crockpot. If you use a crockpot, prepare the chicken as directed and add to the corn mixture in the crockpot. Ham and/or bacon are also added before turning on the crockpot. Add the cheese about 5 minutes before serving. Cook time for a crockpot is approximately 3-4 hours on low. If you want to add shellfish – prepare them as you would for the stove top instructions but have them hot and add them to the chowder just before serving the chowder.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:38 pm

All right - I'm beginning to feel like the only person doing any cooking around here. I know there are other people out there who make a number of yummy dishes. I've had a few at events at Gen. Snyder's home. So ... how about a few recipes from other parts of the universe?
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:09 pm

The holidays are coming fast. It's time to dust off our favorite seasonal recipes & give them a spin. An end of year issue of Ascended is being prepared & we'd like to include some holiday treats. Please post your contributions here ASAP so we can include them. If you have something geared to particular dietary needs, please do post it as these are challenging to find. When posting the recipes geared to a dietary requirement please note which one it's for, such as heart healthy, gluten free, diabetes friendly, etc. A lot of recipes now have nutrition information - please include that if you have it on your recipe card.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:37 pm

Would you like my recipe for stuffing (actually it's my grandmothers) we call it Portuguese stuffing but only because it contains chourico in it.
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:54 pm

Family favorites are definitely welcome. Those are exactly what we want to share here. We just have to remember family recipes include one additional ingredient that's simply a given - love.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:09 am

MY GRANDMOTHERS STUFFING

First off, we use a crock pot.

Ingredients:

1 lb Italian sausage (from the meat counter...uncooked - not the ones in the frozen food section)
1 lb Chourico or Linguica (Portuguese sausage {Chourico is more spicy than Linguicia but basically the same thing}
1 bag of breadcrumbs for stuffing (I ususally get the Pepperidge Farms herb seasoned not cubed)
1 cup of water
1 cup of chicken broth (this is my addition to the recipe...my grandmother just uses 2 cups of water)
salt & pepper to taste

First I break up the sausage and chourico. The sausage you can just squish out of the casing and it breaks up while cooking. The chourico is harder. I peel the casing off and squish it between my fingers to break apart. I know, sounds gross. Put 1 tablespoon of water in the crock pot and then the chourico and sausage. Add a few dashes of salt & pepper (depends how much you like salt & pepper) Remember the bread crumbs has some seasonings so don't add too much salt & pepper...you can always add more later.
Cook the meat in the crock pot on high for about 20 minutes. Then add in the bag of bread crumbs. Then pour the cup of water and cup of chicken broth on top of the bread crumbs. Now it will seem very dry at first...don't be fooled. Some how it gets wetter as it goes. Let it cook for about an hour...keep stirring it every 15 min or so. After an hour...if it is still very dry you can add some more broth or water (or a mixture of both) Don't go over board because you don't want it too wet. Let it cook stirring every 10 minutes for another 30 minutes and it should be done. This stuffing it a bit pastier than stove top (it's not a fluffy stuffing because of the meat) and in fact I've had many a stuffing sandwiches :)
I made it last year for our neighborhood Thanksgiving and there was non left. Everyone loved it.
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:13 am

just a note... we can get chourico and linquica at Publix (local food store) I'm adding the link where you can buy it online in case your local food store doesn't carry it. The charge for using the Stargate for perishables is pretty high because of the quick delivery you need...it does come packed in dry ice though.

http://www.gasparssausage.com/internetorder.html this is directly from Gaspars

I also use another site for my portuguese and new england foods

http://www.famousfoods.com/pofa1.html
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:50 am

An added note to Zathra's supply notes for the sausages: if your regular store or the competition doesn't stock them, check the international markets and smaller deli/meat market type shops in your area.

Zathras, thanks for the recipe. Feel free to share more recipes any time.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

Zathras

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:18 am

Hmm...well I make a really good apple cobbler (my grandmother calls it apple cake...but it's a cobbler) and homemade peanut butter cookies
LT Becky Brett
"Zathras"

10th SFS Tau'ri Furies
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:41 am

Zathras - share to your heart's content. I have my grandmother's peanut butter cookie recipe. They're really good, but I was never big on peanut butter cookies. Then again, my dad & my grandfather could go through a jar of them within 2-3 days of my mom & me making them. Of course, they had help from my cousins. My mom would always make chocolate chip cookies for those who preferred their peanut butter in sandwiches.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:51 pm

Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

shifty

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:07 am

NAME:Rob Antilles
CALLSIGN:Shifty
ASSIGNMENT:Atlantis
Member of SG-7 (Australia)
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:09 am

Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:36 am

Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion