[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - Recipes from the Mess Hall
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Recipes from the Mess Hall

<<

Hawk

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:30 am

Re: Recipes from the Mess Hall

8) Here's one that everyone enjoyed at a previous SG Weekend.

Breakfast Sausage Casarole:
1 lb. Sausage ( I used Jimmy Dean )
9 Eggs
2 Cups Milk
6 Slices bread cubed
1 tsp salt
1 Cup grated cheese

Brown sausage and drain well. Mix other ingredients. Add sausage. Put in 8"X10" greased pan and refrigerate over night.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, then for 10 minutes at 300 degrees.

I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I do...
Andy Moscato a.k.a. :Lt. Colonel Hawk Masters
CO, SG Hellfire
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
"Til The Bitter End"
<<

Daedalus

Major
Major

Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:46 pm

Isn't that the dish you brought over a few months ago because that stuff was good.
Bvt Maj. Yuriy Korolev
CO, S5 - Civil-Military Operations
10th SFS, Tau'ri Furies - Sqdn Member
SG-SOCOM
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Thanks Col. Hawk I think you just provided me with breakfast on christmas morning :lol:
Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters
We are the best and don't ever forget it!
General George S. Patton Jr.

<<

Hawk

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:41 pm

Yes Yuriy that's the same dish. I am glad to hear it Doran, I'm sure your family will enjoy it...
CO, SG Hellfire
SG-SOCOM
"Til The Bitter End"
<<

fireball

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:25 am

no an exact recipe but here's a recipe i got from my mom:
chicken stuffed w/ cream cheese wrapped in bacon.

ingredients:
bacon
boneless chicken breasts
cream cheese
chives/rosemary/herbs optional

pre-cook bacon
-i usually end up microwaving about 2 minutes a side
tenderize boneless chicken breast
-best way is to put between two layers of plastic wrap then have at it till it's pretty flattened.
spread cream cheese
-my mom usually addes chives or rosemary with the cream cheese.
roll up chicken and wrap with bacon
-i usually do 3 strips of bacon per breast.
bake @ 350*F for 45 minutes or until done.

best way to enjoy this i've found is w/ saffron rice and beets but that's just a suggestion.
<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:10 pm

Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:01 pm

Christmas Dinner - Main Dish

This recipe comes from the Wegman's Menu Magazine for Fall 2008. For an Italian twist on meatloaf, try Beef Braciola. The recipe serves 8-10 people depending on appetite size. Leftovers reheat nicely and can be frozen for later use. Next time I make it, I'm testing the longer part of the cooking process in a crockpot so I can start it early in the day & be off doing other things.

Preliminary preparation takes about 40 minutes - you can cut this time by having 1 person prepare the meat rolls while the other browns them. Once the initial preparation is complete it bakes in the oven for about 2 hours (depending on your oven).

INGREDIENTS:
2 cloves peeled minced garlic (to save your fingers get it in a jar & use about 2 tsp)

1/2 bunch Italian (flat leaf) parsley stemmed & minced or 1 tbsp dried parsley

2 large eggs

3 tbsp golden raisins (substitute regular if you can't get golden)

2 tbsp shredded Pecorino-Romano (or parmesan) cheese

1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs

3 tbsp toasted pine nuts (also called pignoli)

Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper

1 lb 80% lean ground beef (you do need this for the moisture)

3 lbs top round beef cutlets (also called thin cut top round) - the wider the slice the better for this recipe

Regular or pan searing flour (for the gourmet cook-but regular works just fine)

2 tbsp pure olive oil

1 1/2 cups dry red wine - since wine can be expensive get one you also like for drinking

48 oz Italian seasoned tomato sauce - I substitute 1 1/2 jars (26 oz jars) of smooth marinara

A braising pan - if you don't have an oven safe braising pan use a skillet & transfer the meat to a large roasting pan after browning

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees - some pans should not be put in an oven above 325 degrees - check the manufacturers recommendations.

1. Prepare filling: add garlic, parsley, eggs, raisins, cheese, breadcrumbs, pine nuts, salt, and pepper to ground beef. Mix well until well-blended (the recipe says use your hands but if you're serving guests it's probably better to use a large stiff spoon).
2. Lay cutlets on a flat work surface. Place about 1/3 cup filling on widest end of cutlet. Roll up cutlets (it's easiest if you shape the filling into a log before putting on the cutlet). Season with salt & pepper and dust with flour; pat off excess. (You can mix the salt & pepper in the flour to simplify this proces.)
3. Heat the oil in a large braising pan or covered skillet on medium-high until the oil faintly smokes. Add beef rolls, seam side down, to pan. Turn over when meat changes color 1/4 of the way up and seared side has turned paper bag brown, about 3-4 minutes. Sear other side about 2 min, until brown. Remove from pan - if you've used a skillet transfer the beef rolls to the roasting pan.
4. Remove excess drippings from pan, leaving about 1 tbsp in the pan. Lower heat to medium; add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits on bottom of pan. Add sauce; stir to combine.
5. If you've used a braising pan that is oven safe, return the meat to the pan. Bring liquid to 180 degree simmer (checking with a thermometer). If you are using a roasting pan bring the sauce mixture to the simmer and spoon over the meat rolls. You will have more sauce than will fit in the pan & this will boil over in the oven if you add all the sauce. Braise 2 hours until meat is very tender.

TIP: To toast pine nuts, preheat oven to 375 degrees and place nuts in dry pan. Toast 5-6 minutes until gold brown.

NOTE: This also works very well in a crock pot. Figure on about 5 hours on high or 8 to 9 hours on low.

The Menu magazine suggested Braised Fennel with Figs as the side dish to go with this - very tasty but we couldn't could find fennel bulbs or figs today. I think the fennel was out of season & the store was sold out of figs. I'll post the fennel recipe when the bulbs are back in season. Had I found figs today, I would've simply substituted fennel seed for the fennel as the bulbs can be a little chewy if not cooked long enough. When I post this side dish I'll include both my version & the magazine version.

However, it works very well with pasta as a side dish.

Dessert is going to be raspberry turnovers.

Chief Bugga
Last edited by Chief Bugga on Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:22 pm

Addendum to the Braciola recipe. If your neighborhood store is out of pine nuts (pignoli) slivered almonds work well too. We couldn't get pignoli so I grabbed a bag of almonds & they worked great. The pignoli or almonds are necessary for the filling - it simply wouldn't work without. Also, to have more sauce on the side, definitely use 2 - 26 oz jars of marinara. I didn't want left overs on the side bowl of sauce as the fridge is getting full so I used the smaller quantity this evening.

Chief Bugga
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!
<<

Lt.Ackerson

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:17 am

The Braciola was good I'm thinking of it for dinner again.
Sean "Nightstick" Ackerson
Lieutenant USN Iliad Flight ops CAG
VXS-223 "Ghost Hawks" Leader
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM
Saddle up, lock and load.
LT Stoddard USN (on )
iPod Touch post color
<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:47 am

Our Breakfast Sausage Casarole turned out great. My three year old said delicious and ate two servings something that is almost unheard of for him.
Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters

<<

Hawk

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:18 pm

:D I'm glad to hear it went over so well. As soon as I get some time I'll find another one to pass on as well...
CO, SG Hellfire
SG-SOCOM
"Til The Bitter End"
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:53 pm

How about your beer bread? Yummmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

Chief Bugga
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:25 pm

I'm waiting to see the recipes for those fantastic dishes that were on the New Year's buffets in the mess hall.

Chief Bugga
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:17 am

LOL, I'm not sure what other dishes were there, seemed that Andy's Spicy Burgers stole the show... :lol: I'll ask Tatiana to make some posts with recipes later this weekend.
Matt Snyder
CO, 10th SFS - Tau'ri Furies
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Hawk

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:31 am

8) What can I say, "When your good your good!!!"
CO, SG Hellfire
SG-SOCOM
"Til The Bitter End"
<<

fireball

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:28 pm

i'm looking forward to another batch of those spicy burgers.
<<

Hawk

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:39 pm

8) Here's another one that really goes over well around here.

Sunday Supper Casserole:
1/4 cup Crisco
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 cup shredded American cheese
1lb Hot Dogs
3 cups sliced potatoes

Melt Crisco. Add onion and cook until tender. Stir in flour and salt. Add milk and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened and beginning to boil. Remove from heat. Stir in mustard and cheese. Cut Hot Dogs in 1/4" slices. Arrange alternate layers of potatoes, Hot Dogs, cheese sauce in 2 quart casserole which has been rubbed with Crisco. Top with cheese sauce. Bake in slow oven at 325 degrees for about 1 1/4 hours. Serve hot. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

I hope you enjoy this one as much as I do... :D
CO, SG Hellfire
SG-SOCOM
"Til The Bitter End"
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks Andy. Now how about that beer bread you made back in October? That was yummy.

Chief Bugga
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:15 am

From this evening in the Iliad mess hall - a casserole. Some of you may know it as Shepherds Pie - others as Cottage Pie. The family sized recipe serves 4 people generously. Ground beef works best for my version of the recipe. Various recipes appear on-line using ground lamb as well as ground beef.

2 lbs ground beef
32 oz bag frozen mashed potatoes
2 cups frozen corn, peas, carrots or mixed vegetables
1 packet Lipton Beefy Onion recipe secrets
2 teaspons minced garlic (optional)
salt & pepper to taste for the potatoes
1/4 shredded sharp cheddar for the topping
3 - 10.5 ounce cans of beef gravy

Directions: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees while doing the following:

1. Follow the package directions for the mashed potatoes but use milk as the liquid for a better flavor. Add salt & pepper to taste.

2. While the potatoes thaw & thicken, brown the ground meat until no longer pink. Drain off the fat & transfer to a 2 to 2 1/2 quart casserole.

3. Mix in the Lipton Beefy onion, garlic and vegetables. Once well blended add 2 of the 3 cans of gravy. Pour remaining can evenly over the top.

4. Top the meat mixture with the mashed potatoes.

5. Place filled casserole on a baking sheet (in case it bubbles over) and place in oven for approximately 30 minutes. After 20 minutes spread the cheddar cheese over the potatoes.

6. Once the gravy is bubbling & the cheese is melted, serve with your favorite crusty bread & fresh fruit (chilled canned fruit if no fresh fruit is available).

Enjoy.

Chief Bugga
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:34 pm

And from one of our closet chefs - Lt. Ackerson - his version of Chicken Cordon Bleu.

Preheat the oven to 350.

1 boneless chicken breast per person
2 packets of Kraft Shake & Bake per 2 chicken breasts (or similar coating product but use the equivalent of Shake & Bake original flavor)
4 thin slices of deli ham per chicken breast
2 slices of swiss cheese per chicken breast
3 eggs for every 2 chicken breasts
1 tablespoon milk for every 3 eggs
Enough butcher's twine to tie around the chicken breast to keep the ham & cheese in the slit

1. Wash the chicken breasts & cut a slit in each chicken breast (lay it flat on a plate or cutting board & make the slit at about half the thickness of the breast)
2. wrap 4 slices of ham around the the 2 slices of cheese & insert the packet in the slit you made in the chicken breast
3. tie the breast with the buther's twine so that the ham & cheese are held in place (around the width of the packet)
4. Mix the eggs & milk in a shallow dish
5. Dip the chicken breasts in the eggs mixture
6. Shake or dredge the chicken in the dry coating mixture
7. Place in a shallow pan that you can cover easily.
8. Cover and bake for about 20 minutes
9. Remove the covering and let bake another 20 to 25 minutes depending on your oven.

It's a nice touch to remove the string before serving. Serve with rice and a salad or your favorite hot vegetable. Gelatin or a dessert mousse will go well with this. Or a yogurt & fruit parfait.

Chief Bugga
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion