[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
STARGATE OPERATIONS: • View topic - Recipes from the Mess Hall
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Recipes from the Mess Hall

<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:03 am

Recipes from the Mess Hall

Chief Bugga would you like to do a section in the newsletter?

"Cooking with the Chief"

You could post some of those great recipes you have been making in the mess.
Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters
We are the best and don't ever forget it!
General George S. Patton Jr.

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:05 pm

Re: Recipes from the Mess Hall

Only if the crew will post in with their favorite recipes - hey a "chef" can always use a new recipe or 3 to keep the ravening hoards happy.

If contributors tend to use the "season to taste" method please make the recipe once with measurements to help those who are more comfortable with formal quantities. Me, I use the season to taste method.

In honor of Chili - we'll start with a simple recipe for Chili Con Carne that simmers all day in a large crockpot (I use one that's about 8 quarts). To save time making this I use 15-16 ounce cans of beans. For Great Northerns or Navy beans I recommend Bush's. The others can be store brand. Do not use lima beans for this. You'll end up with enough to serve 8-10 people or leftovers you can freeze for later use.

Beans: 1 can each
Navy or Great Northern beans
Red kidney beans
Pinto Beans
Chickpeas/Garbanzo beans or other white bean
1 tablespoon or 4 cloves chopped garlic
1/2 large, sweet (vidalia or Maya) onion - chopped
1-26 ounce jar marinara or other spaghetti sauce
2-15 ounce (or 1-28 ounce can) crushed tomatoes
2-3 bay leaves
2-3 teaspoons each
Oregano
Basil
Thyme
Tarragon
Rosemary
Marjoram
1 teaspoon each: cumin, coriander, chili powder
1/8-1/4 teaspon crushed red pepper
About 2 pounds lean ground beef or ground turkey

The seasoning quantities are approximate. If you're making this yourself you'll want to adjust the quantities to suit your needs.

Put everything in the crockpot - seasonings last. Set the starting temperature on high. After about an hour turn it down to low. Stir the chili at this time and check whether it has enough "burn". If you want a spicier chili add more cumin, coriander & chili power 1/4 teaspon at a time during the cooking period. This tastes best after about 7 hours total cooking time.

Serve with warm cornbread (I use Krusteaz Honey Corn Bread mix). Side toppings should include: shredded sharp cheddar, chopped onion, sour cream, & any other toppings you like with chili. Some people like a nice tossed salad as a side dish with chili. Tortillas also make a nice side dish with chili.

If you want meatless chili - simply omit the ground meat. You can also substitute stew beef for ground beef.

For dessert I suggest fruit or a gelatin.

Warning - Lt. Ackerson calls this afterburner chili. It's not "hot" to taste but kicks in after you finish. We determine the heat level by how long the afterburn takes to cool off. Typically we run a 20-30 minute afterburn.

I'll have to figure out something for the next recipe corner unless a crew member chimes in with a favorite.
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!
<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:39 pm

Hmm... sounds like you should consider making a new topic called Mess Hall or something and post those recipes. I know I've enjoyed a few of them over the past few years.
Matt Snyder
CO, 10th SFS - Tau'ri Furies
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:45 pm

You along with everyone else can read them in the newsletter :D
Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:18 am

Haven't seen her. Did you grant her leave for the holidays? Then again if she's in the mid-Atlantic region she might be getting snowed in. We're looking at a sizable snowfall between now & Sunday morning.

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas!

Speaking of Christmas - here's a simplified version of a Danish puff pastry dessert my mom always fixed for Christmas. Her pastry recipe makes way more than most small families can eat (it was proportioned for serving 20-30 or more people). My aunt, who made the same dessert every year gave me a tip that made my life much easier (fewer dirty dishes) & allows me to have it whenever I want.

The dessert is called Butterdej.

For those who are comfortable making puff pastry or have the time, use your favorite puff pastry recipe for the "crust". If you have a small family or limited amounts of time Pepperidge Farm puff pastry sheets or shells (my aunt's tip) are an excellent substitue.

If you are making your own puff pastry, you'll roll it out the prescribed number of times & cut the resulting rectangle into strips that are about 4 inches wide working your way across the sheet of pastry from short edge to short edge. Once you've made these strips, run a line of ice water down the center of the strip & fold the edges to the center using the ice water line to seal the edges to the center of the strip. The finished strip should be about 2 inches wide. Chill the finished strips for about 2 hours before baking them - they taste better.

If you are using the commercial sheets thaw them & cut each sheet into 4 inch wide strips and fold as above. The frozen ones don't need to be chilled again.

TIP: Line your baking sheets with baking parchment to save clean up time.

Place your finished strips (or the pastry shells) on the baking sheet. For the commercial version follow the directions on the package. If you made your own, follow the directions in the recipe.

We used to fill the baked pastry with a prune filling. This does not come pre-made but if your grocery store has the shortening substitute made from prunes and applesauce it's a tasty substitute. I never had the recipe for the prune filling - we started with 1 cup of water in the mixture for every pound of prunces and monitored the filling as it cooked -as the water cooks away add more water, put about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds pitted prunes & about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sugar (depending on the size package of prunes you use) in the saucepan with the water then simmered until the mixture was the consistency of pie filling. Once the filling was cooled we spooned it onto the pastry strips. It's easier to cut the strips into serving sized pieces before adding the filling. We then topped it with fresh whipped cream or a cool whip type topping.

Some of my cousins weren't fond of prunes so my aunt started offering cherry, lemon, apple and blueberry pie filling as an alternative to the prunes. She served the fruit and whipped toppings in bowls so you could fill your own pastry piece. (Warning - the baked pastries may not make it to the table - in my family a fair number were lost to snackers hiding in the kitchens sampling the sweets being offered at the various family gatherings.)

Chief Bugga
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

Do not annoy the mama alligator before crossing the intergalatic swamp! She takes prisoners when annoyed!
<<

Lt.Ackerson

Lieutenant - USN
Lieutenant - USN

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:50 pm

The last time I had it made the way my great aunt made them I was only 7 and I was one of those hiding out in the kitchen. Enjoy.
Sean "Nightstick" Ackerson
Lieutenant USN Iliad Flight ops CAG
VXS-223 "Ghost Hawks" Leader
SGC
SG-Operations: The Home Base of SGC & SG-SOCOM
Saddle up, lock and load.
LT Stoddard USN (on )
iPod Touch post color
<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Lt. Ackerson likes both the homemade puff pastry & the Pepperidge Farm puff pastries with no fillings - no chance of getting filling on ours before they're gone with him around.

Stay tuned for other holiday recipes since I've got cleaning, Christmas cards & video editing on the docket today. We're snowed in which means I'll be opening boxes from moving & finding all my recipe cards.

Chief Bugga
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:33 pm

This sounds alittle like a cake that Tatiana makes from times to time. She covers her cake with a sour cream, sugar and butter based sauce.
Matt Snyder

<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:49 pm

Where going to try this tonight. I will let you know how it turns out.
Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters

<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:52 pm

Though this may be the Iliad's Mess Hall... we might want to consider the creation of a new post under General Discussions in which all SG-Ops members can post recipes, etc.
Matt Snyder

<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:00 pm

I think its a great Idea from the sound of some of your get togethers there are some good ones out there but I think i will have to pass on those famous xxxxspicy burgers I am not a fan of anything with the word spicy in the front but all those x's no way.
Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:40 pm

Why don't we just leave the title "Recipes from the Mess Hall" - that way it applies to any kitchen in the group? Also - I'd like to see it become a place where members can ask if anyone has a recipe for something we've had in the course of our travels & would like to make at home.

Family favorite recipes need to top the list - since we all like to try something new for dinner from time to time. We all have family favorites that aren't suitable for our larger gatherings but others would enjoy. They can be from published cookbooks - just refer to that cookbook - or ones we've concocted ourselves. For instance, I found one in the Wegman's advertising cooking magazine for bracciola - it's fairly easy even though the prep time & recipe make it sound difficult - & tastes fantastic. It does serve a large group but freezes well so a small family gets several meals out of a recipe. In fact, it tastes better reheated. I'll share that sometime in the future.

And yes, I have made calamari but it is a tricky dish that requires very careful timing no matter what recipe you use.

Chief Bugga
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:30 pm

Then I'd suggest moving the entire thread to the General Discussion area, as some may not look into other team's areas or feel that they can freely post. You're call... this started as an Iliad effort and can be moved or have some duplication going on, either is fine.
Matt Snyder

<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:38 pm

Matt Snyder

<<

Chief Bugga

Captain
Captain

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:00 pm

Doran - were you thinking of having a recipe column as a regular feature of Ascended? Matt makes a good point that many do tend to overlook the threads for other teams. Or refer to the longer thread under Iliad Scuttlebutt in Ascended? You two decide & the rest of us can throw the recipes in.

Here's a thought - once we get a fair collection maybe we can assemble them as a cookbook & offer it to the members & their friends as a fundraiser. I could see it being a stocking stuffer next Christmas (yes I'll play editor).

Chief Bugga
Elaine Ackerson
Captain
CO, USS Iliad
SGC

<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:40 pm

Yes I plan on making it a regular in the Ascended. Matt can we keep the name but move the thread out of the Iliad and into the General area?
Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters

<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:38 pm

Here is one my wife makes it is very easy and taste great.

St. Nick's Dove Sticks

- 1 bag M&M's peanut chocolate candies
- 1 bag Dove Brand mild or Dark chocolate miniatures
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 sticks butter (softened)
- 2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 greased pan (15x10x1-inch)

1. Combine the butter, confectioner's sugar, peanut butter, and graham cracker crumbs in a bowl and mix thoroughly (using a dough blender works best). Press the mixture into the bottom of the greased pan.
2. Melt unwrapped Dove brand Milk or Dark chocolate miniatures in the microwave for 90 seconds or until smooth. Pour melted chocolate on top of the mixture and smooth with a spatula.
3. Place red and green M&M's Peanut chocolate candies over the layer of chocolate.
4. Refrigerate to set chocolate for approximately 1/2 hour. Cut and Serve.
Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters

<<

Hawk

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:04 am

8) I would be more than happy to give you all my recipe for my XXXSpicy burgers, but I don't have one. It's just a little of this and a little of that. I just know how to do it that's all.
Andy Moscato a.k.a. :Lt. Colonel Hawk Masters
CO, SG Hellfire
SG-SOCOM
"Til The Bitter End"
<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards:

Post Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:31 pm

Message recieved and the thread has been moved. So people, start sharing your favorite recipes... :)
Matt Snyder

<<

Doran Kev

Captain
Captain

Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:13 am

Ok who has a good cheesecake recipe?

or oatmeal raisin cookies,

or salmon croquecs,

meatloaf,

anything
Jeff Langley
Captain
SG Shadow Hunters

Next

Return to General Discussion