FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Remembering 9/11

<<

Auggie

Senior Forum Member
Senior Forum Member

Post Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:29 am

Remembering 9/11

On the sixth anniversary of 9/11, just take a moment to remember all the fire, police and civilians we lost on that terrible day. Living in New York and being a volunteer firefighter, it hit me pretty close to home (no pun intended) as a number of Long Island volunteers were victims in the attacks. My engine company staged at Shea Stadium, but we were never called upon to go into Manhattan and join the rescue efforts.

In our family, my cousin, who works for the Port Authority, lost several friends on 9/11. It took him a long time to get over that. I am thankful that I, personally, did not lose anyone I knew...

So, just take that moment to remember, but also take the time to celebrate life, family and friends! I'm new to SG-SOCOM, but already I feel I'm amongst friends :)
Colonel Wayne Augustson
Team Leader, SG-2
(Independent SG Group)
<<

Hawk

Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:56 am

Re: Remembering 9/11

8) Believe me I totally understand. I didn't lose anyone there either, but being a former member of the United States Army it really hit me hard when it happened. It was like being hit in the stomach with a sledge hammer. The worst part for me was not being able to go there and help out, it made me feel somewhat depressed. I have always made it a point to stop and remember those who died on that day's anniversary and I always will.
Well I better stop this post before I really start to sound off to much, because it is still a VERY sore spot with me and always will be.
Andy Moscato a.k.a. :Lt. Colonel Hawk Masters
CO, SG Hellfire
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
"Til The Bitter End"
<<

Logan

Colonel
Colonel

Post Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:14 am

I think everyone knew someone or of someone who perished on that day. My cousin is a NYPD officer, but was spared. It took us days to get word that our family members were alright and I'll never forget that fear.

We need to remember but also not live our lives in fear. If we do, the terrorists win.

Godspeed to all the fallen.
Lisa Jackson
XO, SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom
XO, SG-7
My Moderating Color
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

DeryniLord

Major
Major

Awards: test award

Post Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:46 am

I couldn't have said things any better than those before me. Our thoughts and prayers go our to all the men and women serving in uniform, whether its US Mil, PD or FD. They all deserve our thanks, praise, and respect.
Matt Snyder
CO, 10th SFS - Tau'ri Furies
the only easy day was yesterday...

<<

Andromeda

Captain
Captain

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:35 pm

My Aunt is a flight attendant and she was supposed to be on one of those flights but opted for a later flight back home. My sister in law is as well and thankfully she wasn't working then.
Capt. Elizabeth Bryans
SG-Shadow Hunters
SG-SOCOM
SG-Operations: The Home Base of Stargate Fandom

Well, excuse me for being a mere mortal. - Heero Yuy

<<

Rasputin

Post Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:29 pm

Remember and honor the lost, so that their spirits will live on in all those who remember them. Lisa is right, remember, but also be strong.
<<

Donovich

Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:30 pm

My wife and I both worked in midtown Manhatten that day; her biulding was evacuated (being near Grand Central), it took me hours of walking Uptown to finally get to her. When they reopen the subway, we walked through Central Park to get to the "A" train; the sky was clear, only the presence of a fighter jet broke the quite.
A sight which I'ld known all my life was gone; and things were never the same. We eventually moved to New Jersey (my wife's old home) but discovered that we will never be able to forget that day; PTSD raises its ugly head everytime we see anything that reminded us of that day. Like the new "War of the Worlds" movie; to many of the scene struck close to home.
Lastly, my dearist friend (best man at my wedding), is on the front lines of this war, serving as a combat medic with the Army; but he wouldn't have it any other way. God Bless him.
SSgt Michael Donovich, SG-2
Costumes Dossier

Return to Military Tributes